Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2015, 04:02 PM   #1
Forum Member

which type of remote for the k-50

Hi guys,

since I love your input
(hopefully my translation is correct xD)

Which kind of remote would you prefer?

cable vs ir

The 3rd party ones are not that far apart (price) theoretically... but what is the practice point of view?

regards
Sascha

06-26-2015, 04:04 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by NoobOnTour Quote
Hi guys,

since I love your input
(hopefully my translation is correct xD)

cable vs ir

The 3rd party ones are not that far apart (price) theoretically... but what is the practice point of view?

regards
Sascha
The IR remote control F is very convenient since you don't need any wires. But there are certain scenarios when a cable is better, i.e. when being in line of sight is an issue.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-26-2015, 04:09 PM   #3
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for the quick reply

damn.. this is exactly as I thought...
I was hoping, as always, for the "one and only" solution

Do you know to which angle I can use a ir remote with the k-50? Am I able to avoid the camera field of view?

edit: I dont need an exact degree

Last edited by NoobOnTour; 06-26-2015 at 04:18 PM.
06-26-2015, 05:21 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Do you know to which angle I can use a ir remote with the k-50? Am I able to avoid the camera field of view?
The IR sensor is on the front of the camera on the face of the hand grip. That should give you some idea.

The nice thing about the IR remotes is that they tend to be smaller* and don't require that you fiddle with any flaps/doors on the camera. OTOH, a wired remote allows you to use all drive modes just as if you were pressing the shutter button.

In addition to the Pentax and 3rd-party IR remotes, you might want to consider a phone app. If you own a smart phone with an IR "blaster", there are apps available that do the job. I use DSLR Remote. It was developed using Pentax cameras and works quite nicely to trigger my K-3 from a Samsung Galaxy S5.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.dslrremote&hl=en

Steve

* The matter of size brings up another consideration. The Pentax IR remotes use a non-rechargeable, non-replaceable battery.

06-26-2015, 09:20 PM   #5
Site Supporter

The IR remotes work fine, you can replace the battery, you have to remove a couple of tiny screws, and it's just a common watch battery. I don't remember the size, but it should be stamped on the battery you need to replace. On the K-50 the IR window is only on the front of the camera, it's easy enough to hold it out of sight of the lens and trigger it. Whenever I use a tripod I use an IR remote. Beside the Pentax there are many third party remotes. My third party remote has a lot longer range than the Pentax. It is larger but has a lot of useless buttons. I kind of like the larger size sometimes because it is easier to find in my pocket, and easier to operate when I'm standing out in freezing temperatures with cold hands or using gloves.

I don't believe you can use bracketing or continuous shooting with an IR remote because you have to select one or the other, but everything else is usable. Autofocus with the remote is turned on or off in the menu. I prefer to have it off because I'm going to pre-focus when I compose the photo, I don't want the autofocus to catch something else and change my focus when I release the shutter.
06-26-2015, 09:34 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Hi guys,

since I love your input

cable vs ir

regards
Sascha
I prefer radio wireless like this Vello Freewave . Auto focus, bulb and no worries about line of sight or distance, it's rated for 100M.
06-26-2015, 10:11 PM   #7
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I prefer radio wireless like this Vello Freewave . Auto focus, bulb and no worries about line of sight or distance, it's rated for 100M.
I could see that being very useful in some situations.
06-27-2015, 07:27 AM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Brooke Meyer Quote
I just grabbed one from Ebay for $15......thanks !

06-28-2015, 02:29 AM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thank you all for your response!
06-28-2015, 12:55 PM   #10
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The Pentax IR remotes use a non-rechargeable, non-replaceable battery.

Ah, but on the Remote Control F, the battery can be replaced. It's just a standard flat watch battery (don't recall the #). There's 2 small screws on the back that need to be removed to reveal the battery. There's only a couple of parts inside. Take a pic before removing the old battery in case you have trouble remembering just how everything sits inside the case.
06-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #11

Just for grins, I downloaded the app for "Pentax DSLR Remote" from "Google Play" to my Galaxy S5... works great on both my Kr & K-50.
06-29-2015, 04:24 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
sadly my sony does not have an ir port
06-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
Ah, but on the Remote Control F, the battery can be replaced. It's just a standard flat watch battery (don't recall the #). There's 2 small screws on the back that need to be removed to reveal the battery. There's only a couple of parts inside. Take a pic before removing the old battery in case you have trouble remembering just how everything sits inside the case.
Thanks for the update. I just looked at the item description on B&H and the description has been updated to note the battery replacement. The waterproof remote WP remains a throwaway device, but that is sort of how it is.

Steve
12-01-2015, 01:26 PM   #14
f22

QuoteOriginally posted by azappraiser Quote
Just for grins, I downloaded the app for "Pentax DSLR Remote" from "Google Play" to my Galaxy S5... works great on both my Kr & K-50.
Great advice! I downloaded this Droid app and it is chock full of features like in this example (screenshot attached), you can set a 12 second initial delay for the first shot, then 3 HDR bracketed shots 0.3 EV each taken 5 seconds apart. You set the values and features you want to use.
Attached Images

12-02-2015, 01:06 AM   #15

Those apps look good, I will download them later and see what they can do.
I bought a cheap IR remote from eBay, works a treat, from behind the camera you only need to point it at the top and it will work. I also got a cable thingo too but it's too short compared to the one I am used to on my Oly.