Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-26-2015, 10:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
lgbalfa's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 105
pentax k-50, no 1080p 60fps?

only 30fps in 1080p mode?

i just realized that.

not a big deal for me since i don't shoot video ever but that's pretty weak for a modern dslr don't you think?

06-26-2015, 11:29 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
clackers's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Melbourne
Photos: Albums
Posts: 7,723
It's not a new camera, Lgbalfa. What equivalent rival from that time (it's a variant of the K-30) are you thinking of?
06-26-2015, 11:34 PM   #3
Senior Member
lgbalfa's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 105
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
It's not a new camera, Lgbalfa. What equivalent rival from that time (it's a variant of the K-30) are you thinking of?
where there no dslr camera's in this price range that had 1080p, 60fps 2 years ago?
06-26-2015, 11:55 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 40,984
QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
where there no dslr camera's in this price range that had 1080p, 60fps 2 years ago?
The D5300 did, but it's still considered more of a premium feature. Pentax has yet to launch 1080/60p in a DSLR. The K-3 can do 1080/60i.


Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-27-2015, 12:00 AM   #5
Senior Member
lgbalfa's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 105
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The D5300 did, but it's still considered more of a premium feature. Pentax has yet to launch 1080/60p in a DSLR. The K-3 can do 1080/60i.
my nikon point and shoot has 1080/60i so i was just surprised that the k-50 did not have that as well.
06-27-2015, 02:05 AM   #6
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 2,141
QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
my nikon point and shoot has 1080/60i so i was just surprised that the k-50 did not have that as well.
60i is 60 half frames per second. 60p is 60 full frames per second and 30p is 30 full frames per second. Keep that in mind, and keep in mind that many compacts (and some advanced mirrorless) are capable of 120p and even more in lower resolutions , and no DSLR can do that.
06-27-2015, 02:31 AM   #7
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,490
QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
my nikon point and shoot has 1080/60i so i was just surprised that the k-50 did not have that as well.
What Giklab said.

Plus, your P/S can do that, but at what resolution? at what bitrate? at what chroma subsampling? At what general IQ level?
Not everything you read on the spec sheet is necessarily useful or even usable IRL, esp. regarding consumer products...
06-27-2015, 07:14 AM   #8
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,482
K-01 does 60i videos ...

and it is older than the K-50,


Last edited by hcc; 06-27-2015 at 08:03 PM.
07-03-2015, 01:55 AM   #9
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
K-01 does 60i videos ...

and it is older than the K-50,
What is 60i??

K-01 does 60fps in 1280x720 res.
In 1080p it does 30/25/24 fps.

The K-50 does exactly the same
07-03-2015, 03:09 AM   #10
Pentaxian




Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Slovenia
Posts: 2,141
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
What is 60i??

K-01 does 60fps in 1280x720 res.
In 1080p it does 30/25/24 fps.

The K-50 does exactly the same
Please see:

QuoteOriginally posted by Giklab Quote
60i is 60 half frames per second. 60p is 60 full frames per second and 30p is 30 full frames per second.
07-03-2015, 04:27 AM   #11
Pentaxian




Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Far North Qld
Posts: 3,250
OK.
Never heard of it before now, always seen it written as *fps. In any case, K-01 doesn't have any setting for 60 half frames per second that I'm aware of.
60 half frames is obviously 30 full frames.
Checking the manual for K-01 and K-50 shows no differences with video capture.
07-03-2015, 05:01 AM   #12
Pentaxian
LensBeginner's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2014
Photos: Albums
Posts: 2,490
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
OK.
Never heard of it before now, always seen it written as *fps. In any case, K-01 doesn't have any setting for 60 half frames per second that I'm aware of.
60 half frames is obviously 30 full frames.
Checking the manual for K-01 and K-50 shows no differences with video capture.
It's not even remotely the same thing.
In one case (60i, interlaced) you get half of the lines the first 1/60th of a second (say, the even ones), and the other half the next 1/60th of a second.
That could introduce interlacing artifacts with moving subjects.


In the case of 30p (progressive) you get 30 full frames each second.

Also see:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Interlaced_video ("i")
and
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_scan ("p")
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
k-30, k-50, pentax k30, pentax k50
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K-3 1080p 60fps Recording Apparently Possible? Woodepic Pentax K-3 4 02-10-2015 02:47 AM
K-50 works no more with manual lenses niqqus Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 3 01-11-2015 04:46 PM
Pentax K 5IIS body only for $559.99 free shipping to US, no tax, no duties @ebay.ca bennyxyz Pentax Price Watch 8 09-14-2014 03:18 AM
New Nikon D5300 shoots 1080p @ 60FPS ! jogiba Non-Pentax Cameras: Canon, Nikon, etc. 9 10-22-2013 12:12 AM
new 14MP sensor for 1080p @60fps ! jogiba Video and Pentax HDSLRs 6 02-03-2010 12:27 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 11:05 AM. | See also: NikonForums.com, part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top