Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 2 Likes Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 05:51 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Shutter Release Cable for K-50

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I am seeking a compatible cable release for my K-50. I've looked for accessories on the Ricoh site as well on Adorama, etc.

Is there one available? It doesn't have to be a Pentax brand.

06-27-2015, 07:08 AM   #2
Veteran Member

All over Ebay.....cheap in price aftermarket releases.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Shutter-Release-Cord-for-Pentax-K110D-K100D-K200D-K2...item338424c914
This is one I bought.....works fine

Last edited by Dlanor Sekao; 06-27-2015 at 07:14 AM.
06-27-2015, 08:04 AM - 1 Like   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Dlanor Sekao Quote
All over Ebay.....cheap in price aftermarket releases.
Shutter Release Cord for Pentax K110D K100D K200D K20D K30 K50 K 01 K 5 K 7 645D | eBay
This is one I bought.....works fine
I bought a similar one and they work very well. Just as a point of background, both Canon and Pentax share the connector, so in this functionality, Canon shutter releases work also.

Another aspect to consider is, if you ever want to use an off camera intervalometer these work great as well, and double as a manual shutter release
06-27-2015, 08:40 AM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by interested_observer Quote
I bought a similar one and they work very well. Just as a point of background, both Canon and Pentax share the connector, so in this functionality, Canon shutter releases work also.

Another aspect to consider is, if you ever want to use an off camera intervalometer these work great as well, and double as a manual shutter release

I had this one and it worked great at first but after a few months it stopped working. I tried changing the batteries but nothing I did could revive it so I ended up getting one like is in the earlier post. It works fine and doesn't require batteries but I rarely use it. I almost exclusively use the IR remote with the "DSLR Remote" app on my android phone. The K-50 only has a front sensor which is a limitation but if you use the 3 second delay it gives you enough time to move out of the picture. The Android app is set up by default for a pentax camera and it has several functions built in including an intervalometer function and a B mode shutter timer.

06-27-2015, 09:12 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Rocketfish makes a universal Shutter Release Cable that will work even though it doesn't say Pentax on the packaging and can be bought at Best Buy. I use mine on both my K100 & K500
Any cable shutter release that has mini jack that looks an ear bud headphone jack will work. I've also been told that some Cables for Canon Cameras will also work

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 06-27-2015 at 09:19 AM.
06-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #6

Original Poster
Thank you! I've seen them when the headphone jack, but it didn't say "K-50", so I was hesitant. Thanks for the tip on the app too. I'll explore that option for a remote.

Cheers!