Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-27-2015, 12:16 PM   #1

BH extended warranty for additional 2 years on k-50??

is it worth getting?

i was thinking that for the free cleaning alone it would be right?

who does the free cleaning?

do you have to mail it to pentax or do you mail it to BH or can you bring it to any authorized repair center locally to you?

thanks

06-27-2015, 01:26 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
As far as I know, there is only one authorized Pentax repair center, Precision Camera. Extended warranties are just an insurance policy; if nothing goes wrong and you don't need to use it then it was a waste of money for you but if you do need it an don't have it you will pay many times more than the meager cost of the extended warranty. I bought it when I got my K-50 because I figured the cost was small and the potential cost of not getting it was unacceptably high but no one else can make that judgment for you. As you've alluded, the cash cost of that included cleaning is 2 or 3 times the cost of the warranty itself.
06-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
did you end up mailing your camera to precision camera for the cleaning / inspection or have you not done that yet?
06-27-2015, 01:51 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
is it worth getting?

i was thinking that for the free cleaning alone it would be right?

who does the free cleaning?

do you have to mail it to pentax or do you mail it to BH or can you bring it to any authorized repair center locally to you?

thanks
For $19 it's probably the biggest bargain that Pentax offers. I'd go for it.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

06-27-2015, 07:32 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
did you end up mailing your camera to precision camera for the cleaning / inspection or have you not done that yet?
I have not used the free cleaning service yet. I did send it in under regular warranty for a repair and It appeared to have been cleaned in the process.
06-28-2015, 01:04 PM   #6
Banned

As Adam said, it's truly a bargain, extended protection against any failures, and at the very least, a cleaning and inspection all for under $20! The only downside is sending your camera off to be serviced, though not really a problem if you have more than one body!
06-28-2015, 07:00 PM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
As Adam said, it's truly a bargain, extended protection against any failures, and at the very least, a cleaning and inspection all for under $20! The only downside is sending your camera off to be serviced, though not really a problem if you have more than one body!
i will get it since it is so cheap but when i spoke to BH today they said it does not include a free cleaning.
06-28-2015, 07:39 PM   #8
Banned

I stand corrected. The warranty card only states they will provide "one complete check up at any time within the warranty period", what exactly it is that they check isn't listed. Still possible I suppose if they see a dirty sensor or focusing screen they would take care of it.

When my K20 was repaired (a few years back) they did a complete cleaning as part of the warranty repair, but that was a different service center.

06-29-2015, 09:08 AM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
I stand corrected. The warranty card only states they will provide "one complete check up at any time within the warranty period", what exactly it is that they check isn't listed. Still possible I suppose if they see a dirty sensor or focusing screen they would take care of it.

When my K20 was repaired (a few years back) they did a complete cleaning as part of the warranty repair, but that was a different service center.
i agree, if they see a dirty sensor they are not just going to leave it alone.
06-29-2015, 10:09 AM   #10

Original Poster
just ordered the extended warranty for an additional 2 years.

for $20 it seems to be a great deal and i never ever buy extended warranties.
07-06-2015, 07:27 PM   #11

Original Poster
received the extended warranty today in the mail.

it is pretty much just a foldable flier that says keep for your records.

i guess you don't even register it?