Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 01:35 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If you have the money to gte the K3 I say why not? It is a good camera.
I have to concur. I moved from a K10D to a K-3 and the improvement in focusing, resolution, and features is outstanding.

07-01-2015, 01:44 PM   #17
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
I had a K-x, which is almost identical to the K-r, and I never noticed any of the focusing issues you described. So maybe it was something specific to the K-r?
It was. I had both, and the K-r's focusing just required a lot more attention. I found (and this is just my perception) that AF.A (auto) on the K-r tended to always go into AF.C (continuous) mode, and it was doing a lousy job of predicting where the target would be (because the target wasn't moving). When I hard-set the focusing mode to AF.S (single/stills), I got a lot more keepers. I got the feeling that they tried to optimize the K-r's AF for "action", and blew it.

That said, I don't think the OP is going to have the same sort of problems with any of the choices mentioned. AF has gotten better with every generation.

Last edited by THoog; 07-01-2015 at 06:01 PM.
07-01-2015, 05:42 PM   #18

Have a Kr and just upgraded to K50 last month and yes the focus is better and the price is great and it doesn't break the bank. Go for it.
07-01-2015, 06:44 PM   #19
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely check that out. Price is much higher though. If I'm getting into that price bracket, I wonder if a K-3 wouldn't be a better choice. I still love the handling of my old K10D.
At the sale price, I'd say most likely yes, unless you value the tethering app and articulating screen. The K-S2 is great for family photos as a result.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-01-2015, 07:40 PM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
I have to concur. I moved from a K10D to a K-3 and the improvement in focusing, resolution, and features is outstanding.
I second these comments on the K3. I replaced my K50 (which I love) with the K3 two weeks ago and the focusing is more reliable in tough situations then the K50.

I got my K3 for $649 when Adorama had them on sale a couple weeks ago. I'm guessing they might drop down again soon since it is on it's way out.

[Edit] I forgot to mention that the live view peak-focusing on the K3 is much more useful to me. I'm not sure it is better but I think the larger display with higher resolution on the K3 makes it easier to use. I tended to avoid it on the K50.
07-02-2015, 03:34 AM   #21
Veteran Member

I went from K10D and K-x to K-S2. My first Pentax DSLR was the *ist DS. I remember that the K-r did have focus issues in tungsten light. I actually found the AF on my K-x to be good. Sure my K-S2 blows away all my previous Pentax DSLR's when it comes to AF - it's fast, secure and reliable in low to bright light. When it comes to handling - the K-30, K-50 and K-S2 has twin wheel operation and HyperModes similar to the K10D (and K-3, K-5 etc.). This is very nice. Sure the K-30/50 and K-S2 has fewer external controls and relies more on menu operation, for example if you want to switch metering methods you need to enter the menu. I really love the 100 percent viewfinder on the K-S2, it blows my K-x away here - and is as sharp and nice as the K10D but with more coverage. It's smaller and nicer in handling than my K10D, but not as compact as my K-x. I choosed the "forest green" colour for my K-S2 and I'm really enjoying it. But it really would be nice if the exterior was replaceable with other colours so one could match the mood of the day.
07-02-2015, 07:25 AM   #22
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At the sale price, I'd say most likely yes, unless you value the tethering app and articulating screen. The K-S2 is great for family photos as a result.
WiFi would be a huge plus, but can't the K-3 use the FluCard? Is that just gimmicky?

Also, feel free to move this post since we're no longer discussing K-50.
07-02-2015, 08:43 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter

Man... y'all are really pushing me toward considering the K-3. Especially with B&H's free BG-5, I love the feel of a vertical grip.
My first DSLR was a K-r about 3 1/2 years ago. I replaced it with a K-3 about 1 1/2 years ago at a much higher price than it goes for today and have no regrets about it. It blows the K-r to the bottom shelf where it resides as a backup only. Not knocking the K-r, it is an entry level camera that did well for me and others I'm sure. In my mind, at prices so close the K-3 wins over the K-S2. Yes the K-S2 has some features that the K-3 does not, but the K-3 is a level up. The only feature that tempts me personally is the articulating screen, but I will wait at the current prices. The price on the K-50 is a super bargain and it has a great reputation. Choices. Great to have aren't they?

07-02-2015, 10:35 AM   #24
Administrator
Site Webmaster

WiFi would be a huge plus, but can't the K-3 use the FluCard? Is that just gimmicky?

Also, feel free to move this post since we're no longer discussing K-50.
Yeah, it's pretty gimmicky. The range is limited and the lack of NFC actually slows things down considerably in the long run.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-20-2015, 06:09 AM   #25
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by VoiceOfReason Quote
If you have the money to gte the K3 I say why not? It is a good camera.
QuoteOriginally posted by robthebloke Quote
If AF performance is that important, go for the K-3. Otherwise the k-s2, or k-s1 if you're on a budget.
QuoteOriginally posted by lsimpkins Quote
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
At the [K-3's] sale price, I'd say most likely yes, unless you value the tethering app and articulating screen. The K-S2 is great for family photos as a result.
Man... y'all are really pushing me toward considering the K-3. Especially with B&H's free BG-5, I love the feel of a vertical grip.
Well, you did it! I placed my B&H order last night, my shiny new K-3 should be here on Thursday!