Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #1

continuous shooting on k-50 seems slow in automatic mode?

one of the main reasons that i bought the k-50 was that at 6 FPS (jpeg) it seemed to be a fast camera after watching this video:

i am using a top of the line SD card for the camera:

SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC U3 Memory SDSDXP-032G-A46

check out the video that i just made:

in my video, the k-50 was shot in automatic mode with the 18-135 lens.

when watching both video's, why does mine seem to be considerably slower? is it because it was shot in automatic mode and the pentax video was not?

i did not realize it would make a difference.

mine is clearly slower compared to the other video.

it looks like the pentax video was not shot in automatic mode which probably explains why is is faster?

looking for feedback and advice to get my camera to shoot as fast as the one in that video.

thanks for your assistance.

07-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you shooting RAW or RAW+? The PF "hi" video was only shooting JPEG (per the caption), which will write to the card considerably faster. Also, what shutter speed are you shooting? 6FPS doesn't make much difference if the shutter is at 1/2 sec.
07-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Are you shooting RAW or RAW+? The PF "hi" video was only shooting JPEG (per the caption), which will write to the card considerably faster. Also, what shutter speed are you shooting? 6FPS doesn't make much difference if the shutter is at 1/2 sec.
i was not shooting in raw or raw+.

i was just shooting jpeg in automatic mode.-

--------- Post added 07-01-15 at 05:57 PM ----------

i just took the camera outside where there is sunlight and it is much faster now!

about the same as the PF video.

indoors though it seems that the PF video is much faster than my video but the PF is not in automatic mode. it looks to be in manual mode from what i can tell.

hopefully adam can chime in and let me know what the settings where on the camera in that video.

Last edited by lgbalfa; 07-01-2015 at 03:11 PM.
07-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian

You must switch off ALL in-camera processing (eg lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction ...). And you need to have a relatively fast card (Class 10 or faster).

I shoot Hi-continuous shooting all the time.I can even shoot long sequence (> 20s). But the above are absolutely necessary.

07-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
i was not shooting in raw or raw+.

i was just shooting jpeg in automatic mode.-

--------- Post added 07-01-15 at 05:57 PM ----------

i just took the camera outside where there is sunlight and it is much faster now!

about the same as the PF video.

indoors though it seems that the PF video is much faster than my video but the PF is not in automatic mode. it looks to be in manual mode from what i can tell.

hopefully adam can chime in and let me know what the settings where on the camera in that video.
What is your shutter speed for the continuous shooting?
Set it in Tv mode, AUTO ISO, Shutter Speed: 1/500th.
Is it shooting faster now?
07-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You must switch off ALL in-camera processing (eg lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction ...). And you need to have a relatively fast card (Class 10 or faster).

I shoot Hi-continuous shooting all the time.I can even shoot long sequence (> 20s). But the above are absolutely necessary.
It's mainly the distortion correction that slows things down significantly. Make sure that's off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

in addition to the above, auto focusing can also chew up time, especially if there are any subject movements. In common with most other products, camera specifications tend to quote the best possible performance under ideal conditions and are not always achievable in the field.

07-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #8

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
What is your shutter speed for the continuous shooting?
Set it in Tv mode, AUTO ISO, Shutter Speed: 1/500th.
Is it shooting faster now?
just did what you recommended.

it does shoot faster than the video i produced.

still not as fast as if i was outside on a sunny day but definetly much better than before.

thanks for the feedback.

---------- Post added 07-02-15 at 02:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's mainly the distortion correction that slows things down significantly. Make sure that's off.
thanks adam.

Last edited by lgbalfa; 07-01-2015 at 11:50 PM.