Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-01-2015, 01:55 PM   #1
Senior Member
lgbalfa's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 106
continuous shooting on k-50 seems slow in automatic mode?

one of the main reasons that i bought the k-50 was that at 6 FPS (jpeg) it seemed to be a fast camera after watching this video:


i am using a top of the line SD card for the camera:

SanDisk 32GB Extreme Pro UHS-I SDHC U3 Memory SDSDXP-032G-A46

check out the video that i just made:


in my video, the k-50 was shot in automatic mode with the 18-135 lens.

when watching both video's, why does mine seem to be considerably slower? is it because it was shot in automatic mode and the pentax video was not?

i did not realize it would make a difference.

mine is clearly slower compared to the other video.

it looks like the pentax video was not shot in automatic mode which probably explains why is is faster?

looking for feedback and advice to get my camera to shoot as fast as the one in that video.

thanks for your assistance.

07-01-2015, 02:25 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
THoog's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: North Carolina
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,486
Are you shooting RAW or RAW+? The PF "hi" video was only shooting JPEG (per the caption), which will write to the card considerably faster. Also, what shutter speed are you shooting? 6FPS doesn't make much difference if the shutter is at 1/2 sec.
07-01-2015, 02:37 PM   #3
Senior Member
lgbalfa's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 106
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
Are you shooting RAW or RAW+? The PF "hi" video was only shooting JPEG (per the caption), which will write to the card considerably faster. Also, what shutter speed are you shooting? 6FPS doesn't make much difference if the shutter is at 1/2 sec.
i was not shooting in raw or raw+.

i was just shooting jpeg in automatic mode.-

--------- Post added 07-01-15 at 05:57 PM ----------


i just took the camera outside where there is sunlight and it is much faster now!

about the same as the PF video.

indoors though it seems that the PF video is much faster than my video but the PF is not in automatic mode. it looks to be in manual mode from what i can tell.

hopefully adam can chime in and let me know what the settings where on the camera in that video.

Last edited by lgbalfa; 07-01-2015 at 03:11 PM.
07-01-2015, 04:07 PM   #4
hcc
Pentaxian
hcc's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Brisbane, Australia
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,533
You must switch off ALL in-camera processing (eg lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction ...). And you need to have a relatively fast card (Class 10 or faster).

I shoot Hi-continuous shooting all the time.I can even shoot long sequence (> 20s). But the above are absolutely necessary.

07-01-2015, 04:27 PM   #5
Pentaxian
bertwert's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Golden, BC
Photos: Albums
Posts: 5,482
QuoteOriginally posted by lgbalfa Quote
i was not shooting in raw or raw+.

i was just shooting jpeg in automatic mode.-

--------- Post added 07-01-15 at 05:57 PM ----------


i just took the camera outside where there is sunlight and it is much faster now!

about the same as the PF video.

indoors though it seems that the PF video is much faster than my video but the PF is not in automatic mode. it looks to be in manual mode from what i can tell.

hopefully adam can chime in and let me know what the settings where on the camera in that video.
What is your shutter speed for the continuous shooting?
Set it in Tv mode, AUTO ISO, Shutter Speed: 1/500th.
Is it shooting faster now?
07-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster
Adam's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Arizona
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 43,280
QuoteOriginally posted by hcc Quote
You must switch off ALL in-camera processing (eg lens distortion correction, high-ISO correction ...). And you need to have a relatively fast card (Class 10 or faster).

I shoot Hi-continuous shooting all the time.I can even shoot long sequence (> 20s). But the above are absolutely necessary.
It's mainly the distortion correction that slows things down significantly. Make sure that's off.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)



PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-01-2015, 05:31 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Bruce Clark's Avatar

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Brookfield, Victoria
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,768
in addition to the above, auto focusing can also chew up time, especially if there are any subject movements. In common with most other products, camera specifications tend to quote the best possible performance under ideal conditions and are not always achievable in the field.
07-01-2015, 11:43 PM   #8
Senior Member
lgbalfa's Avatar

Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 106
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
What is your shutter speed for the continuous shooting?
Set it in Tv mode, AUTO ISO, Shutter Speed: 1/500th.
Is it shooting faster now?
just did what you recommended.

it does shoot faster than the video i produced.

still not as fast as if i was outside on a sunny day but definetly much better than before.

thanks for the feedback.

---------- Post added 07-02-15 at 02:45 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
It's mainly the distortion correction that slows things down significantly. Make sure that's off.
thanks adam.


Last edited by lgbalfa; 07-01-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
camera, correction, distortion, jpeg, k-30, k-50, mine, mode, pentax, pentax k30, pentax k50, pf, shot, shutter, thanks, video, youtube
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Continuous Shooting, Exposure Bracketing, Interval Shooting etc in B Mode! kamayok3 Pentax DSLR Discussion 8 02-12-2014 01:45 PM
SLOW continuous shooting on all modes except auto pict? tensai Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 5 08-30-2011 09:13 PM
Continuous Shooting Slow? willywalker Pentax K-5 12 11-26-2010 01:20 PM
K10D seems to have a very usable continuous mode Christine Tham Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 10-12-2010 11:00 AM
Continuous shooting mode at K 10D, please help! Pedro Ernesto Guerra Azevedo Pentax DSLR Discussion 4 10-25-2009 06:36 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 02:10 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top