Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-03-2015, 09:25 AM   #16

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
according to the exif data, the shutter speed is too high for the aperture and iso settings. perhaps a metering issue. doesn't seem to be an issue with aperture servo. the camera is picking the wrong settings for the situation. so either logic error or metering.
To my knowledge, I have made no changes. Again, using vanilla auto mode or scn mode for action photos.

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 09:27 AM ----------

When I press the +- button next to the shutter, the view finder shows the + - scale and I have 0.0 displayed to right of the scale in the view finder. Does this information help you?

---------- Post added 07-03-2015 at 09:35 AM ----------

I am still digging through my camera paperwork, but it looks like the one year Pentax warranty is good until July 10, then the one year of extended warranty through NewLeaf kicks in. NewLeaf is working today, but told me to call Pentax support and they are closed for the holiday. Any one have experience with Pentax warranty claim service? Should I wait until Monday to call or try to open a warranty claim on their website, etc. This is all new to me--so any and all advice is welcome. JimC

Last edited by Waldo; 07-03-2015 at 10:05 AM.
07-03-2015, 10:33 AM   #17
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Waldo Quote
To my knowledge, I have made no changes. Again, using vanilla auto mode or scn mode for action photos.

Any one have experience with Pentax warranty claim service? Should I wait until Monday to call or try to open a warranty claim on their website, etc. This is all new to me--so any and all advice is welcome. JimC
As mentioned previously, have you tried resetting the camera to factory defaults? Sometimes a hard-reboot (remove/reinstall the battery) helps. My K-01 has gotten stuck in a weird state where removing the battery was the only solution. For what's going on, as mentioned above your camera "thinks" the scene is brighter than what it really is. Other than green mode, what results do you get on different modes AV/TV?

My experience with Pentax warranty was back CRISCAM days and were very positive. However, it's Precision camera now who handles Pentax warranties and seem to be getting quite a few "unfavorable" comments. You're right on the edge of your warranty period so if it were me, I would get the ball rolling sooner than later. Cheers.

Last edited by K57XR; 07-03-2015 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Calrification
07-03-2015, 11:38 AM   #18
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Your camera definitely should not have chosen that mode, I think you should contact Ricoh for repair (how is on the website). I had one repair which was not a good experience, but timing was a factor. I sent my K-30 to CRIS, unaware Ricoh were about to switch repair vendors. CRIS did absolutely nothing for two weeks, then shipped it to Precision. At that point Precision did not even have the tools yet. Anyway it took about two months but it got repaired properly. I understand that it took a while to get that workflow running again, it was very poor planning on Ricoh's part, they are responsible in the end. I understand things are back to closer to normal now, or at least to what it had been.
07-03-2015, 11:46 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Yes! Send it to the repair!

07-04-2015, 07:10 AM   #20

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by K57XR Quote
As mentioned previously, have you tried resetting the camera to factory defaults? Sometimes a hard-reboot (remove/reinstall the battery) helps. My K-01 has gotten stuck in a weird state where removing the battery was the only solution. For what's going on, as mentioned above your camera "thinks" the scene is brighter than what it really is. Other than green mode, what results do you get on different modes AV/TV?

My experience with Pentax warranty was back CRISCAM days and were very positive. However, it's Precision camera now who handles Pentax warranties and seem to be getting quite a few "unfavorable" comments. You're right on the edge of your warranty period so if it were me, I would get the ball rolling sooner than later. Cheers.
Yes, I have removed the battery and reinserted it. Is there some other way to re-set the camera to "default settings". I have no changes to the camera software settings, etc. so I have do not have anything to "lose" by a reset to default settings. Barring some miracle reset, looks like my K-50 will head to the shop for repair. Thank you. JimC
07-04-2015, 07:51 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Waldo Quote
Is there some other way to re-set the camera to "default settings".
I don't have a K50, but it should be available in the camera's menu. "Reset to default" or something like that. Good luck.
07-04-2015, 12:22 PM   #22

Original Poster
Thanks. I found it. Bummer, reset did not correct the problem. Looks like service is my only choice. Thank you everyone for helping me. JimC

07-04-2015, 05:22 PM   #23
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

TRY PRESSING ON THE SDCARD DOOR, sometimes the switch doesn't engage
07-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by niceshot Quote
TRY PRESSING ON THE SDCARD DOOR, sometimes the switch doesn't engage
I have to ask... how would the switch on the sd card not engaging cause the problem of the camera's auto-mode determining scenes are too bright and underexposing them all regardless of situation?
07-27-2015, 05:02 AM   #25

Just to close this thread, I did send the camera for warranty repair using Precision Camera. From my door and return the process was 17 total days; I was able to check the repair status via Precision's webpage--which I found very useful. The repair note in the box with the returned camera noted that the aperture assembly was replaced. Again, thank you to all who replied.
07-27-2015, 08:48 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Glad everything got sorted out for you. Now go out and enjoy taking pictures once again.
07-28-2015, 04:42 AM   #27

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
Glad everything got sorted out for you. Now go out and enjoy taking pictures once again.
Yes, the camera arrived very late in the day last Friday. My son had a soccer tournament during the weekend---so I was very happy to have the camera back to take pictures. Thanks again for all of the advice.
08-05-2015, 12:21 PM   #28
Inactive Account

It sounds as if, and I may be wrong but the aperture drive/motor system has failed.... My K-50 went out at about 6 months from purchase.
I've read where you can put it in burst for a second or two and it'll work.... well... that is more confirmation that there is a mechanical problem... It is sitting at my desk, waiting to shipped off to "who knows what"!!!!!!
One year warranty covers mine, along with a three year warranty from a third party....
I was told to send my K50 to 'Precision Camera' in Enfield Ct..... I have not heard very much 'good' from this company.... It seems one out of every 10 reviews may be good..... The rest of the reviews are horrible, terribly horrible!! ... Now that I know more, last year I experienced their technical abilities'.
Last year I had a K-30 that failed at less than a year. By the time I called the third party warranty company it was over a year old so they took care of it...
The company that handled it was Asurion. They were great, but it took almost three months for them to get something out of Pentax/Ricoh. Which now that I look back, the camera was 'stuck' at Precision Camera......
It looks like if you have a good Ricoh/Pentax be thankful.... If you don't or plan on getting one...... well......
My first Pentax was in 1981... Great SLR!!! I also have a Ricoh KR-30sp SLR, then I went digital with the K-30, didn't last a year... Then a K-50, didn't last a year.... Thank goodness for the warranty, but WTHeck? ....... I have bad feelings......*
Not a good time or company for Ricoh.......
anthony

---------- Post added 08-05-15 at 12:24 PM ----------

Sorry, did not see the updated status...
anthony
ps, Being a Pentax/Ricoh loyalist for many years, I am worried about the integrity of my favorite camera.... I've owned and own, Canon & Minolta... but love my Pentax and Ricoh....