Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-18-2015, 04:38 AM   #46
Oricman

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
The image you posted was #2523

What of it? I got the camera with just 1500 shutter count. 2500+ means I've wasted 1000 shots trying to get decent results.

08-18-2015, 05:49 AM   #47
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
What of it? I got the camera with just 1500 shutter count. 2500+ means I've wasted 1000 shots trying to get decent results.
It seems as if you can't remember what you wrote in your first post....

Reading through it all again, I think you'll probably not be satisfied by the K-30, or any other decent DSLR. You probably would be better off with a good bridge camera, or even a nice high end compact like the Canon G7X.

I hope your frustrating experience ends soon and you can start to enjoy shooting, and life in general again.

Cheers

Last edited by altopiet; 08-18-2015 at 05:57 AM.
08-18-2015, 09:18 AM   #48
Oricman

QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
It seems as if you can't remember what you wrote in your first post....

Reading through it all again, I think you'll probably not be satisfied by the K-30, or any other decent DSLR. You probably would be better off with a good bridge camera, or even a nice high end compact like the Canon G7X.
I wrote in my first post that I wasn't sure if the shutter count was 1500 as it seemed low. That was a while ago - I don't know why you are telling me the shutter count now??? Since then it's gone up to over 2500 with only a handful of decent shots.

My initial problem was a lens that didn't work. Now I realise the kit lens isn't very good despite being described as good. To me the levels of softness are not acceptable. You can get better results from a phone. The frustrating thing is that I've had some shots that were sharp and showed good detail. Even with the faulty lens I had a shot that was sharp. The inconsistency makes it hard to figure out what is wrong - or if it was just me.

The Panasonic FZ150 I have is pretty decent bridge camera. It produces sharp images but lacks the bokeh you can get with a DSLR. It doesn't have bulb setting and can be a bit grainy. I wanted to upgrade to something that would be capable of better exposure - as in some conditions the Panasonic shots come out with too contrast in shadows etc.

i can't tell you how long I've been looking at Pentax reviews online but the camera I wanted was a Kx - then the Kr. I liked the K30 then the K50 came out. They produced the K-S1 since then before I got the K30. I prefered the sharp output of Pentax on the DPreview site. I'm not getting that from this camera.

I used to be very happy with my Minolta SLR. This Pentax experience has been driving me up the wall as I didn't know what was to blame and what was normal. It's not obvious when the shots are good from the screen. So many shots look OK on the camera but when you look on the computer they aren't sharp. If I knew how poor the kit lens was I wouldn't have bothered buying a WR version. I got the camera partly for is WR sealing as I live in an area that rains a lot and I wanted to use it on walks. Most of the WR lenses are the cheaper ones so if they are not so good it makes it all a bit pointless.
08-18-2015, 01:37 PM   #49
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
I got the camera partly for is WR sealing as I live in an area that rains a lot and I wanted to use it on walks. Most of the WR lenses are the cheaper ones so if they are not so good it makes it all a bit pointless.
The 16-50, 20-40, 16-85, 50-135 and 60-250 zooms are all WR AFAIK.

Probably most DSLRs are bought with a single low quality kit lens, but someone like you shouldn't do that.

08-18-2015, 03:47 PM   #50
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I complete disagree that the kit lens is no good. I'm sorry but too many people have made great images with it. The truth is several possibilities could make yours suck that are not generic failings of the camera. Move on if you are done but try to understand that your experience is atypical.
08-19-2015, 05:48 AM   #51
Oricman

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I complete disagree that the kit lens is no good. I'm sorry but too many people have made great images with it. The truth is several possibilities could make yours suck that are not generic failings of the camera. Move on if you are done but try to understand that your experience is atypical.
I'm told it's not the camera, but the lens.
The reviews of the lens point out how soft it is. Use of apertures at the high end make it soft. Use of apertures at the low end make it soft, so It seems prone to producing images that aren't sharp. I was told the images I posted are what I should expect to get out of the kit lens. Are you saying it should be better?
The shots on Dpreview seem to be consistent with my attempts. Pentax DA 18-55mm 1:3.5-5.6 AL review: Digital Photography Review

The lens kit club show some good images but they nearly all seem to be reduced size images so you can see how good it really is at 100% and you can't see the EXIF to get any clues as to the best settings.

I have managed to get some shots that look OK. It seems a matter of hitting the sweet spot with the lens settings. That seems to render it below par outside of those parameters.

I do have two kit lenses to play with. DAL and a DA WR, so I'll try comparing them. If they produce similar results then it would seem unlikely to be me having a lens that was worse than normal.

I'm really surprised such a soft lens is deemed acceptable on a DSLR. What's the point of getting a camera with a bigger/ better sensor only to produce soft images?

---------- Post added 08-19-15 at 05:52 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
Well, that FZ1000 is expensive, Oricman. But a 1" sensor gives reasonable stills and the video is very good.
It's not expensive if you compare to the price of lenses I'd have to buy to get the same results from a K30. A 16-85 is nearly as much. Then I need the telephoto end. A good zoom can be £1000+