Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2015, 03:17 AM   #1
Oricman

K30 - silly questions

Some things I'm not sure of - can you help?

Shutter count. How do you tell how many pictures my *second-hand) camera has taken. It currently reads something like 100-1500. so has it taken only 1500 shots?
When I change battery the 100 becomes 101 but the number sequence carries on.

Battery change. Is it normal to have to put in the date and time every time the battery changes? I havent' had to do that with a camera since the nineties!

AF-S AF-C AF-A The manual tells you about the different states and says when you get AF-Auto, but it's not clear to me what the difference is? What's auto about AF-A that you don't get from AF-S ?

Lens cap. Argh! Why isn't it attached? I'm so used to just unclipping my lens cap that I've nearly lost these ones several times. What do you do with them - especially if you've 3 or more lenses?
I've ordered some caps with cords but I think they are the kind that attach to the strap. That's OK for your main lens but I don't want 2 or 3 dangling. I think I'm going to have to order the ones with an elasticated bit so I can attach it to the lens itself.

Minolta. There's some mention on some sites that Pentax is compatible with Sony lenses and Sony can use Minolta - but I think just the AF type lenses not the old Minolta manual system. Do the Minolta lenses work well with a K30 or not worth bothering with? Is there an adaptor available to use the manual MC lenses?

---------- Post added 07-05-15 at 03:27 AM ----------

Also ...

When the camera is off set to AF-S the focus ring doesn't want to turn. Set to Manual and it frees the ring. With my other lens the focus ring turns freely in either setting. What's going on there?

07-05-2015, 04:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
there's a way to check the real shutter count of the camera (picture numbering can be reset) on this site:
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

100, 101, etc. if it's anything like my K-01, it makes a new folder each day, starting with 100 if the SD card is empty, and starting from the last number if it already finds some folders on the card.

Uhm.. no? there should be a capacitor or small backup battery inside... maybe that's faulty or you left the camera without the main battery for too long (24hrs?)

AF-S is single autofocus (the usual one)
AF-C is the continuous autofocus mode, for tracking moving subjects
AF-A is automatically switches between the two

Bag or pocket of my photo vest. ;-)

The Pentax Multi Mount
Pentax K+ Multi-Mount - Adaptist
is a mod that will allow you to replace the mount on your camera and to use many other lenses (including albeit not the ones from Minolta) with your Pentax Camera.
There's a version for WR cameras as well, but you lose WR...

When you engage the AF, there's a small rod which locks with the screw in your lens. The motor on the camera body and the gears in your lense become physically coupled.
If a lens has a feature called "Quick Shift", then you can override AF at any time by simply moving the focus ring on the lens.
If a lens doesn't have this feature, you have to disconnect AF first (set to MF) in order to manually focus the lens, otherwise you're physically turning the AF motor with the ring on the lens, and run the risk of damaging it.

Last edited by LensBeginner; 07-05-2015 at 06:25 AM. Reason: mistaken about Pentax Multi-mount
07-05-2015, 04:46 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
1. shutter count see here
Check Shutter Count & Camera Manufacture Date Online - EXIF Reader

2. no - on a pc normally means that a motherboard battery needs replacing but thats just a guess

3. Minolta, whether old MD or new sony A NOT compatible with pentax

4. AF - thats with kit lens? Yes normal behaviour, on AFS the mechanical drive is engaged.
07-05-2015, 06:11 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Oricman Quote
Some things I'm not sure of - can you help?

Lens cap. Argh! Why isn't it attached? I'm so used to just unclipping my lens cap that I've nearly lost these ones several times. What do you do with them - especially if you've 3 or more lenses?
I've ordered some caps with cords but I think they are the kind that attach to the strap. That's OK for your main lens but I don't want 2 or 3 dangling. I think I'm going to have to order the ones with an elasticated bit so I can attach it to the lens itself.

Minolta. There's some mention on some sites that Pentax is compatible with Sony lenses and Sony can use Minolta - but I think just the AF type lenses not the old Minolta manual system. Do the Minolta lenses work well with a K30 or not worth bothering with? Is there an adaptor available to use the manual MC lenses?[COLOR="Silver"]
Put your lens cap in your pocket or bag. To me, having a lens cap dangling from your lens is a nuisance, it makes noise and can get tangled.

When Konica-Minolta ceased making cameras Sony bought the DSLR assets and used the A mount (used in the Maxxum) for their first line of DSLRs. When Sony brought out their mirrorless systems they used the E mount, the mirrorless cameras from Sony can use nearly any lens with adapters. Pentax cameras can not use Minolta lenses.

07-05-2015, 07:00 AM   #5
Ole
Administrator

2: When you set time and date you must hit the "Save Settings" button before exiting the screen. This has tripped up many of us, perhaps it is the case here as well.
07-05-2015, 08:45 AM   #6
Oricman

Thanks for the replies.

I've had another go with the date and got it to stay this time.

LensBeginner's explanation of AF makes sense now.

There does seem to be an adapter on Ebay now for using Minolta lenses but it'd be fully manual. Might be worth a try as I have quite a few old lenses.
07-05-2015, 10:04 AM   #7
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

lense cap - put it in your pocket...

I've never lost a lense cap (knocking on wood) in over 25 years of shooting...

07-05-2015, 11:29 AM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

There does seem to be an adapter on Ebay now for using Minolta lenses but it'd be fully manual. Might be worth a try as I have quite a few old lenses.
Probably best to avoid. Must be a teleconverter with glass in it degrading images.

Last edited by clackers; 07-05-2015 at 03:45 PM.
07-05-2015, 01:00 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I would like to expand on two answers:

First as mentioned screw driven auto focus lenses act the way you describe (unless they have quick shift) however DC and SDM lenses should turn freely.

Second, the adapters with glass in them act like bad teleconverters. Tihe effective focal length of the lens used is altered.

---------- Post added 07-05-15 at 04:18 PM ----------

I would like to expand on three answers:

First as mentioned screw driven auto focus lenses act the way you describe (unless they have quick shift) however DC and SDM lenses should turn freely.

Second, the adapters with glass in them act like bad teleconverters. Tihe effective focal length of the lens used is altered.

Third, I have had my k50 request the time and date once in a while. It always happens on a battery change but only happens occasionally. I haven't figured out what makes it happen. My money is on some odd thing I am doing.
07-05-2015, 03:15 PM   #10
Oricman

Thanks for letting me know about the adapters. I hadn't actually noticed the glass in them.

The thing with the lens cap is due to me using superzooms that have a fixed lens. They alomst always have a cap attached so I've got used to just giving it a flick to pop it off and shooting. With the K30 if I do that it's on the ground. I guess I just need to retrain myself - muscle memory isn't it?
07-05-2015, 03:32 PM   #11

QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
lense cap - put it in your pocket...

I've never lost a lense cap (knocking on wood) in over 25 years of shooting...
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
You need to get out more then
07-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

If I don't put it in my pocket straight away, I seem to find a way of walking off without it!
07-11-2015, 04:06 PM   #13

Photos: Gallery
If you're looking for a lens cap solution, try these.
http://www.amazon.com/Altura-Photo-Premium-MagicFiber-Cleaning/dp/B0058I7CVE...6655807&sr=1-1
07-11-2015, 09:37 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Re: the date time each time the battery is removed (even for a second).
There's been a number of reports of this, it's not uncommon.
Sadly my K-01 has done this since brand new. My Q has only just recently started doing it.
Only genuine Pentax batteries are used in the Q, the K-01 has genuine and generic.
I never had the problem with the *istDS or the K-7 (or the Optio S5n) and so far not the K-50 but though it only takes a few seconds to reset it's not comforting to know that there is a faulty part inside.

I've never lost a lens cap [yet] either. In fact, the MX-1 cap which dangles on a cord is bloody annoying, I should snip it off so I can put it in my pocket instead.
07-11-2015, 11:25 PM   #15
Veteran Member

Minolta. There's some mention on some sites that Pentax is compatible with Sony lenses and Sony can use Minolta - but I think just the AF type lenses not the old Minolta manual system. Do the Minolta lenses work well with a K30 or not worth bothering with? Is there an adaptor available to use the manual MC lenses?
Get a cheap (probably 2nd hand) mirrorless camera for those; something like the Samsung NX series, Panasonic GH/GF series or Olympus. More money to spend? Sony A7 series (full frame). Add an adaptor and you're good to go