Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-12-2015, 10:32 AM   #1

Photos: Albums
Which memory card to use with K500/ storage options

I might be taking a 5-10 day trip in future on which i will have no access to any computer/tablet. I will have a portable hard disk with me, However i guess no means to transfer the pics i take on trip. So i was considering buying a new Memory card. My current one is of 8 GB capacity. I intend to photograph mostly in RAW on this trip.
Would a 64 GB card be good or should i stop at 32 GB card ? also...will an normal SD card be ok or should i go for this- SanDisk Extreme 64GB UHS-I/U3 SDHC Memory Card or Pro version of the same, as listed on amazon. It says transfer speeds of 60 Mb/s. Price is a concern to me, hence i do not want totally overpriced card, yet not something which will affect my camera performance.
SDHC or SDXC ...which cards are better ?

07-12-2015, 12:08 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I'd recommend Sandisk Ultra and Extreme cards in whatever capacity you need. They aren't too expensive but you'll get fast and reliable performance. The card you listed is a very good one and it'll outperform the K-500's maximum write speed, bringing you optimal performance in the field.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
07-14-2015, 08:31 AM   #3

Original Poster
If i buy this card, will i be overpaying ? cost is a slight factor in my purchase. I think i do need 64 GB memory for this upcoming trip maybe...maybe not.
07-14-2015, 01:40 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by Urnamaster13 Quote
If i buy this card, will i be overpaying ? cost is a slight factor in my purchase. I think i do need 64 GB memory for this upcoming trip maybe...maybe not.
Are you overpaying? Hard to say without knowing the price. For me the peace-of-mind having a quality memory card is worth it. That said, I try to buy my memory cards when they're on sale.

As to the 64GB size, I prefer to have several cards with me to divide my photos across; rather than trust the entire trip to just one card. I usually take several 16GB and 32GB cards. Your user manual will tell you how many photos at JPEG/RAW quality you can fit per 2GB. That will help you decide what size cards you might want.

11-27-2015, 11:31 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by shuber Quote
Are you overpaying? Hard to say without knowing the price. For me the peace-of-mind having a quality memory card is worth it. That said, I try to buy my memory cards when they're on sale.

As to the 64GB size, I prefer to have several cards with me to divide my photos across; rather than trust the entire trip to just one card. I usually take several 16GB and 32GB cards. Your user manual will tell you how many photos at JPEG/RAW quality you can fit per 2GB. That will help you decide what size cards you might want.
Thanks for the tip. I ended up ordering the 32 GB capacity card in extreme pro version from Sandisk. Instead of one 64 GB it seems sensible to have two 32 GB cards. The one i ordered shows 95 Mbs transfer speeds. I guess i can use it when i upgrade to a better camera body also.