Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2015, 06:40 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Dust on sensor

After returning from my vacation to the grand canyon, i noticed spots on all the pictures taken with my K-30. I attemped to remove the several times using a small rocket blower purchased at best buy with no sucess. Can i please get some recomendations on taking the cleaning to another leavel !

07-19-2015, 07:05 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
We have some tips here:
Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

The next step would either be to attempt a physical cleaning, or get a professional cleaning.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-19-2015, 07:22 PM   #3
Marketplace Reseller

Pentax actually makes the best solution themselves:

Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357
07-19-2015, 10:14 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
If you still have your RAW files, then Pentax DCU has a 'spotting' tool that is very effective and just requires you to set the size of the spot and click on the dust spot in the image. I presume that Lightroom and other processing tools do the same. (find 'spotting' button on the tool bar)
I second dcshooter above. The 'gumby' wand works wonders - it also seems to prevent future dust build up. After cleaning my K10d which had been attracting dust no end, it stayed much more clean for longer.

07-20-2015, 05:22 AM   #5
Site Supporter

I've tried a few options and in my view Pentax's cleaning kit, as mentioned by dcshooter above, is both the easiest, safest, and most effective. After blowing off all "resting" dust, the sticky pads have lifted off all I've come across.

Using a loupe to view the dust helps too, but to be honest a bright lamp and perhaps a hand lens is not that more difficult to manipulate.
07-20-2015, 06:04 AM   #6
Veteran Member

I'm happy someone asked this, it's something that's been on my mind, but I keep forgetting to search! With my K-3 on the way, I'm not as worried about sensor damage on my very dusty K-r.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
We have some tips here:
Cleaning Your DSLR Sensor - Tutorial Videos | PentaxForums.com

The next step would either be to attempt a physical cleaning, or get a professional cleaning.
Adam, looking at the guide, do I really need both the bristle brush and the cleaning swabs?
07-20-2015, 12:06 PM   #7

QuoteOriginally posted by dcshooter Quote
Pentax actually makes the best solution themselves:

Pentax O-ICK1 Image Sensor Cleaning Kit 39357
O-ICK1 seems an easy part number to remember. Was this on purpose?
07-22-2015, 08:21 PM   #8
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by lavascript Quote
I'm happy someone asked this, it's something that's been on my mind, but I keep forgetting to search! With my K-3 on the way, I'm not as worried about sensor damage on my very dusty K-r.

Adam, looking at the guide, do I really need both the bristle brush and the cleaning swabs?
I think it would make things easier, but even a basic kit can get the job done if the dust isn't stubborn.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

07-23-2015, 03:15 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Before ordering a cleaning kit, i gave the air rocket one more try and think l got the dust removed. I set my lens to 16mm and camera to manual, f11 and took a picture of a white wall and could not see any spots.
07-23-2015, 03:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by kjphilippona Quote
Thanks everyone for the good advice. Before ordering a cleaning kit, i gave the air rocket one more try and think l got the dust removed. I set my lens to 16mm and camera to manual, f11 and took a picture of a white wall and could not see any spots.
That's good news. Personally, I find higher f stops better than f11 to see dust in many cases and also, as well as white walls a clear blue sky works well. I often just take an f22 shot of a clear blue sky when I'm out shooting, if I can, so I can spot any dust early and not let it accumulate.
07-23-2015, 05:15 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
When i get my camera back from my daughter i will give that a try.