Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 4 Likes Search this Thread
07-23-2015, 06:43 PM   #1
Forum Member

K-50 still a good purchase?

Hello everyone, I'm new here. Not a Pentax owner but debating getting one. Adorama has a K-50 body for less than $300 and it seems like a really good deal, but I know the camera is now more than 2 years old. Is this still a good purchase? I tried asking for advice on another forum but it seems all the members there wanted to do was argue with each other instead of providing much in terms of camera/product line-specific info, so I thought it might be better to get advice from people who have actually owned the camera before. I'm really just looking for a camera with a good UI that's easy to make adjustments on the fly in manual or any of the priority modes, with decent low-light performance and a good large viewfinder (I wear glasses, if the viewfinder is too small I might have trouble getting my eye close enough to see it well), and the IBIS seems to be a good way to save money on lenses compared to Canon/Nikon/Sony. I have a max budget of about $300 for the body only (I'll be buying secondhand lenses to save some money). I think the K50 best fits my needs, plus it has the bonus of being water resistant, something good for the Florida weather where rain can pop up basically at any time.

Is this still a good purchase today?

07-23-2015, 07:21 PM   #2
amateur dirt farmer
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
yes, it is.. I bought mine in December and now have over 10k shots on it..

I wear glasses also and rarely have difficult time using the viewfinder..

I find the ui fairly intuitive and very easy to make adjustments on the fly...
07-23-2015, 07:40 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Yes, at the prices today, it is a STEAL!

Many people are still making wonderful images with much older Pentax DSLRs than the K50. The K-50 is capable of doing very well. You can readily pick it up for around $300 today.

Last edited by yucatanPentax; 07-23-2015 at 07:58 PM.
07-23-2015, 07:44 PM   #4

I just bought a K-50 2-lens kit a week ago (my first DSLR) and I'm LOVING it! I couldn't believe how clear the pictures were in auto mode right out of the box when I had no idea what I was doing with it I'm already taking online classes and reading a ton to figure out all the fantastic features and I can't wait to take it on our vacation next month and see what I can do with it.

07-23-2015, 07:44 PM - 1 Like   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
I have a K30 which is basically the same exact camera in a different shell. I have used mine for about 2 years now, and even though I am an avid photographer I still haven't been able to justify upgrading from it. It's been a great camera, and I think the K50 will be a great camera for you too. The viewfinder is much larger than the competition, and the low light performance is about as good as you get without upgrading to full frame. You have access to many great vintage manual focus lenses you can use on it if you like, and the K50 can give you focus confirmation when these lenses are is in focus. I have shot in the rain with a weather resistance lens a few times, and have been able to get photos I couldn't have otherwise. With the purchase of an adapter, you can also use AA batteries. Best of all, you have access to this forum which has been so helpful that it was nearly worth choosing Pentax just for this resource alone. For less than $300, you don't have much to lose!
07-23-2015, 07:54 PM - 1 Like   #6
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Go for it!

Its 16MP sensor is one of the best, and even beats out newer sensors at high ISO:

"It's also interesting to note that at ISO 6400, the K-50 image is superior to that of the K-3, which was overwhelmed by noise."
From Pentax 645Z Review - Detail and Moire | PentaxForums.com Reviews
07-23-2015, 08:13 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Love my trusty, capable and easy-to-use K-50.

Used it in salt-water waves just last week in the Pacific: https://flic.kr/s/aHskgDAaUz and the camera and lens are still very much unscathed.

I bought it for $696 with 2 low-end kit lenses only last year, so your $297 body is SUCH A STEAL!

07-23-2015, 08:20 PM   #8

My girlfriend just picked up a K50. I haven't had time to play with it much yet but I can tell you the viewfinder alone would be worth the upgrade over my K-r. I, too, wear glasses. Others would be better at pointing out the techical aspects but it does have dual control wheels and was fairly easy to use. My birthday is in October so I'm waiting to surprise myself with a K3ii or I'd have one too.

Good luck with the purchase!

Rodger
07-23-2015, 08:22 PM   #9
Pentaxian

super duper bargain!
07-23-2015, 08:42 PM   #10
Pentaxian

You bet it is. I have 2 of them. One in black that I use all the time & red one for my wife. I'm waiting to see what happens around "Black Friday" this year. I might get 2 more K-50 bodies or a K-3 if it's dirt cheap.

I shoot up to ISO 3200 without any worries. It starts going downhill at ISO 6400, but still usable. Having 2 control dials on it makes it easy to change settings quickly. Its seriously the best bang for the buck DSLR at the moment. Nothing else comes close to it if you factor image quality, features, & price. You'll have to pay a lot more to get slightly better image quality.

The only thing that sucks on the K-50 is the video recording, but I didn't buy it for video purposes, so there.
07-23-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks to everyone for their input, just ordered the camera body now and looking for some used lenses as I'm typing this. Seems like the K50 is near a perfect match for what I need! Only downside would be video, but I don't often take it anyway, plus my Note 4 does decent 4K that scales nicely to 1080p.
07-23-2015, 10:01 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
My dad bought one a few weeks ago. Was using it this past weekend and find it's a pretty nice camera. I should pitch my K-x and pick up a K-50.
07-24-2015, 12:00 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OrangeKx Quote
My dad bought one a few weeks ago. Was using it this past weekend and find it's a pretty nice camera. I should pitch my K-x and pick up a K-50.
Good to hear, it seems the camera is very much still relevant today, not something you see often for a 2 year old model I suppose, particularly at such a good price.

I picked up two WR lenses as well tonight, the DA 18-55mm /3.5-5.6 AL WR and DA50-200mm f/4-5.6 AL WR ones. Really good prices for them too, wound up much more affordable than the kit version so I was pretty happy about that . These two should do well to get me started, then maybe I'll think about a prime or two once I find out where I like shooting the most.

Thanks again for all the help!
07-24-2015, 05:11 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fullmental Quote
Thanks to everyone for their input, just ordered the camera body now and looking for some used lenses as I'm typing this.
Good choice and congratulations! I've owned my K-30 for three years now, and I still see no compelling reason to upgrade. As others have said, the sensor is really amazing, and the camera is a joy to use. Here's a link to a recent post I made boasting about the low light performance, with some examples of ISO 3200 pictures I shot:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/295448-k30-low-light...ml#post3254142

The Pentax 50mm 1.8 or Sigma 30mm 1.4 would probably be a good place to start for a low-cost prime. Or even the older Pentax 50mm FA 50mm 1.7 if you don't mind a lens that looks a bit dated in terms of styling, but is a good performer.

The 50mm 1.8 is only $106 shipped new on Amazon, making it a ridiculously good bargain. At that price, I might have to pick one up!

QuoteOriginally posted by fullmental Quote
Only downside would be video, but I don't often take it anyway, plus my Note 4 does decent 4K that scales nicely to 1080p.
If you want nice video, you might consider picking up a used Sony RX100-II for a few hundred dollars. In addition to being one of the best pocketable cameras, it does an outstanding job with video. I had one that I used to supplement my K-30. In December I sold my RX100 and replaced it with the Panasonic LX100 for 4K, but that camera is much more expensive. For 1080p, it's hard to beat the RX100-II for price, quality, and convenience.
07-24-2015, 05:12 AM   #15
Forum Member

Recommended highly. I've got a K-30 (which is identical to K-50 save for changes in styling and a few minor upgrades). It's an excellent photographic tool, and a pleasure to use. If you are in the USA, be sure to purchase the 2 year Pentax extended warranty (not third party extended warranty). It is a true bargain--around $20 from B&H or Adorama, and it includes a free inspection/adjusting at any point during the extended warranty period. You don't have to buy it from the same retailer as the cameera; just be sure to get it within 30 days of the camera purchase, and save receipts for both. Given that K-50/K-30 occasionally have been reported by others (not mine) to develop an aperture control problem, the extended warranty gives you a total of 3 years peace of mind.