Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
07-27-2015, 12:10 PM   #1
Forum Member

Would you go to the Color Run with your Pentax WR gear?

Would you test out your WR gear in these conditions?
Have you tested your gear in some of extreme conditions? How did it go?

Photographing a Color Run Will Destroy Your Camera Gear--Don't Do It

07-27-2015, 12:22 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I'd be more concerned about breathing all that super fine stuff into my lungs...

M
07-27-2015, 12:27 PM - 1 Like   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
You aren't going to see me at one, camera or no.
07-27-2015, 12:32 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Heie did a WR test in the desert. That's the most extreme Pentax test I recall seeing.

I would not risk my gear or my lungs at a color run.

07-27-2015, 12:33 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I did (by accident) shoot a "color festival". Same thing but no running. I used the 55-300 and stayed up wind and as far away as possible. No way do I want to be in the middle of that camera gear or no. I've lots of pictures of "festival goers" having a great time covering themselves with dye. No thanks.
07-27-2015, 01:06 PM   #6
Ace

I took some photos of the Color Run in Vegas. I didn't run in it and only shot from the sidelines. That powder gets on and in everything. I blew colors out of my nose for the remainder of the day. It was a fun event but I don't think I will have a camera with me next time.
07-27-2015, 01:11 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
good for them... but not for me, thanks but no thanks...

07-27-2015, 01:15 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
So what you guys are saying is. You guys don't trust the WR features of Pentax to be able to survive this kind of situation?
07-27-2015, 01:20 PM   #9
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I wouldn't. But happy to shoot it using someone else's! :-)
07-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MJSfoto1956 Quote
I'd be more concerned about breathing all that super fine stuff into my lungs...

M
Oh god no. I wouldn't go near that without a mask. But I'm an ex-smoker so I'm sure I've already done enough damage!

QuoteOriginally posted by DeadJohn Quote
Heie did a WR test in the desert. That's the most extreme Pentax test I recall seeing.

I would not risk my gear or my lungs at a color run.
I saw a post of a guy who took K-30 and 18-55 WR to burning man. His camera survived. But I'm sure these food coloring powder particles are smaller than what ever a dust storm can do.

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
I did (by accident) shoot a "color festival". Same thing but no running. I used the 55-300 and stayed up wind and as far away as possible. No way do I want to be in the middle of that camera gear or no. I've lots of pictures of "festival goers" having a great time covering themselves with dye. No thanks.
Well.... that's one event I won't be taking photos at then.

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
I wouldn't. But happy to shoot it using someone else's! :-)
lol.
07-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #11
Veteran Member

Heie kicks rear end !
07-27-2015, 01:45 PM   #12

"I saw a post of a guy who took K-30 and 18-55 WR to burning man. His camera survived. But I'm sure these food coloring powder particles are smaller than what ever a dust storm can do."

Well, I would argue that the Burning Man dust (4th Burn upcoming) is just as fine as color run powder and my gear has been just fine after a little TLC and caution. See also all the great Burning Man photos by Tray Radcliff at Stuck in Customs website.

I think my main concern with Color Run is now about fire safety after what happened in China last month where the fine powder ignited amongst the crowd. Pretty nasty outcome.
07-27-2015, 01:57 PM   #13
Pentaxian

I think LensRentals.com banned their gear from being used at color runs. That's all I need to know...
07-27-2015, 02:19 PM   #14
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

I saw a docco the other week about a Canon pro shooting a colour festival in India and despite his body's seals, it was safely in plastic housing.
07-27-2015, 02:24 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by eddaytona Quote
"I saw a post of a guy who took K-30 and 18-55 WR to burning man. His camera survived. But I'm sure these food coloring powder particles are smaller than what ever a dust storm can do."

Well, I would argue that the Burning Man dust (4th Burn upcoming) is just as fine as color run powder and my gear has been just fine after a little TLC and caution. See also all the great Burning Man photos by Tray Radcliff at Stuck in Customs website.

I think my main concern with Color Run is now about fire safety after what happened in China last month where the fine powder ignited amongst the crowd. Pretty nasty outcome.
Man I really need to read up on more photographers. Thanks for letting me know about Tray Radcliff!