Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2015, 06:35 PM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Professor Batty Quote
I've had two Wasabi go 'dead' after a couple of years but that was because I wasn't using my K30 at all for about six months. You've got to 'top off' Lithiums about one a month or they will go bad and not take a charge. I've had good luck with them otherwise (on 4 cameras)
My information is the opposite. The best way to store Lithium Ion batteries is 40% of capacity.
BU-702: How to Store Batteries – Battery University

07-29-2015, 06:25 AM   #17

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
My information is the opposite. The best way to store Lithium Ion batteries is 40% of capacity.
How would you determine 40%?
07-29-2015, 06:26 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
i've heard exactly the same thing. Although, in practice, i store them full, and rotate them through. so the last charged one goes in the bottom of the pocket, the bottom one moves up a slot, and the top one goes in the camera. (i have a pocket in my bag that holds 2 batteries) Havn't had a problem yet, and it seems that i go through them fast enough that they're fully charged whenever i need them. Longest they sit is maybe a couple of months between charges.
07-29-2015, 06:32 AM   #19
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

That sucks. Is it swollen
It came with the camera I bought from a member here. I didn't think to check if it's swollen or not. Will do that today, could be, but other than it getting stuck, it seems to work fine. I only use it in an emergency.

07-29-2015, 06:52 AM   #20

More on battery storage:

"If the battery is going to be stored for several months it's a good idea to take it out and recharge it after a few months. Better yet would be to actually use the battery every few months and then leave it partially or fully charged."
Li-ion Battery FAQ
07-29-2015, 07:59 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

How would you determine 40%?
The article actually talks about that. I'm not honestly that sure. For me I would shoot for about 50% knowing roughtly the life I get I would shoot half that many shots and then measure voltage and hope for the best.

---------- Post added 07-29-15 at 11:01 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by link81 Quote
i've heard exactly the same thing. Although, in practice, i store them full, and rotate them through. so the last charged one goes in the bottom of the pocket, the bottom one moves up a slot, and the top one goes in the camera. (i have a pocket in my bag that holds 2 batteries) Havn't had a problem yet, and it seems that i go through them fast enough that they're fully charged whenever i need them. Longest they sit is maybe a couple of months between charges.
For my active camera's that's what I do also. But now that my K50 is moving to backup role I have to reconsider. My rotation was more like a couple of weeks on my K50 prior to the acquisition of the K3 so I never worried about the full battery status.

---------- Post added 07-29-15 at 11:02 AM ----------

More on battery storage:

"If the battery is going to be stored for several months it's a good idea to take it out and recharge it after a few months. Better yet would be to actually use the battery every few months and then leave it partially or fully charged."
Li-ion Battery FAQ
Fully Charged is OK - but not preferred. However it is better than discharged. Partially charged must be over a certain voltage level to help with the problem. Read the article I posted - it's pretty universal from what I have seen. The details in that article were what made me select it.
07-29-2015, 09:25 AM   #22
Forum Member

Original Poster
hmmm... seems like you want to keep your battery only 50%-75% charge? just averaging out what everyone is saying.

but also once in a while draining and fully charging the battery.

Interesting..... maybe i'll give wasabi a try.

07-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
hmmm... seems like you want to keep your battery only 50%-75% charge? just averaging out what everyone is saying.

but also once in a while draining and fully charging the battery.

Interesting..... maybe i'll give wasabi a try.
Drain and fully charge is more of a NiCad requirement than NiMh or LiIon.
08-07-2015, 07:24 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I use Duracell rechargeable batteries.....

Beats the energizer's hands down