Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-12-2015, 06:05 PM   #1

which of the Pentax bayonet mount lenses fit the K 50?

I was given some lenses that fit a K1000. The 50mm 2.0 fits the K 50 but the focus mechanism is broken. A Makinon 80 - 200 mm Auto zoom fits the K 50. A Vivitar 70 - 210 mm Macro Focusing Zoom (No. 77403515) the K1000 but doesn't fit the K 50. I have not tried to take a shot with any of the lenses that fit the K 50 for fear the mirror might hit the back of the lens. Is there a simple answer to what Pentax bayonet mount lenses fit the K 50?

08-12-2015, 06:22 PM - 1 Like   #2
Pentaxian

Almost all the Pentax K mount lenses should work on the K-50 (or just about any other Pentax K-mount DSLR bodies). With some limitations on functionality of course.

The Pentax Camera Lens Compatibility Chart
Digital Camera Lenses - PENTAX Lenses - RICOH Cameras
08-12-2015, 06:24 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Pentax lenses are backward compatible as well as forward compatible so far. If it works on the K-1000 it should work on the K50. I am however confused about the Vivitar not fitting the K-50 if it fits the K-1000. Is the mount on the Vivitar marked with a K? Be sure you go into the K-50's menu and select "allow aperture ring" and the M lenses will only work properly in M mode as far. Other modes and the lens shoots wide open the 50mm f2 lens is a manual focus only lens.
08-12-2015, 06:29 PM   #4
Site Supporter

All of them should fit. The Vivitar 70 - 210 mm Macro Focusing Zoom must not have a Pentax mount. Do you have some more information on that lens? What happens when you try to mount it? Any photos of the mount?

08-12-2015, 06:44 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by LSAGuy Quote
I was given some lenses that fit a K1000. The 50mm 2.0 fits the K 50 but the focus mechanism is broken. A Makinon 80 - 200 mm Auto zoom fits the K 50. A Vivitar 70 - 210 mm Macro Focusing Zoom (No. 77403515) the K1000 but doesn't fit the K 50. I have not tried to take a shot with any of the lenses that fit the K 50 for fear the mirror might hit the back of the lens. Is there a simple answer to what Pentax bayonet mount lenses fit the K 50?
Every genuine Pentax bayonet lens will fit. Most third-party lenses will as well, as long as they have a proper K mount.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-12-2015, 06:48 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Some third party K lenses have an extra large flange that gets in the way on DSLRs. They can be filed back if necessary. which will allow them to be used on DSLRs.
08-12-2015, 06:59 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Right, if a third party lens doesn't fit it is either the guard flange on the aperture stop down lever is too large or it is not for Pentax K-mount. Many of the bayonet mounts look similar unless you are familiar with the Pentax K-mount.
08-12-2015, 07:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arnold Quote
Some third party K lenses have an extra large flange that gets in the way on DSLRs. They can be filed back if necessary. which will allow them to be used on DSLRs.
AH I forgot about the lever guard. Thanks. I have one old lens I had to file down.

08-12-2015, 07:13 PM   #9

Photos: Albums
I have a vivitar macro focusing zoom like yours - the flange it too big - as noted by others - it needs to be filed down to fit... (I did it following instructions in the forum https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/10-pentax-slr-lens-discussion/186451-vivi...ing-k-5-a.html )
It's a known issue, the fix is pretty easy
08-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #10
Site Supporter

My Vivitar 35-105 was even easier, it had two screws I could access externally and removed it! . Wish they were all that easy..
08-12-2015, 09:58 PM   #11
Pentaxian

I have not tried to take a shot with any of the lenses that fit the K 50 for fear the mirror might hit the back of the lens.
No K-mount bayonet lens will hit your mirror. The only issues you have to watch out for are the extra big flange as pointed out above (which is almost always Vivitar lenses I think) and the "ricoh pin" which you'll find on some third-party lenses (which can cause your lens to get stuck on the camera -- at least until you get a thin feeler gauge in the right place to release it). All Pentax branded K-bayonets should work without issue.
08-13-2015, 12:08 PM   #12

Original Poster
Okay, some quick work with the Dremel and the extra long flange is now pretty much identical to the 50mm Pentax lens. The Vivitar lens now goes on the camera but I cannot get the camera to take a picture. i have it set in manual focus mode and I've tried M, Av, TAv, and Sv. I get a flashing F_ _ at the bottom of the view finder which I take to be that somehow the camera isn't getting aperture information? I wish the camera had a menu setting for WTFO. :-}
08-13-2015, 12:23 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Okay, some quick work with the Dremel and the extra long flange is now pretty much identical to the 50mm Pentax lens. The Vivitar lens now goes on the camera but I cannot get the camera to take a picture. i have it set in manual focus mode and I've tried M, Av, TAv, and Sv. I get a flashing F_ _ at the bottom of the view finder which I take to be that somehow the camera isn't getting aperture information? I wish the camera had a menu setting for WTFO. :-}
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/110658-u...x-dslrs-f.html
08-13-2015, 12:26 PM   #14
Pentaxian

Flashing F---- means use aperture ring is not enabled in the setup menu. Refer to the following:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/53-pentax-dslr-camera-articles/100260-man...ic-lenses.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...k-x-k-7-a.html
08-13-2015, 12:36 PM   #15

Photos: Albums
from the sources quoted above....

K-30, K-50, K-500, K-S1, K-S2 and K-01 users: make sure you also set your green button "action in M/TAv Mode" to Tv SHIFT. This is found under the button customization menu (page 3 of the main menu) on the K-01 or as a custom function on the K-30, K-50 and K-500. Also, avoid auto ISO.

Now, let's discuss metering. Since manual lenses don't feed aperture data to the camera, the only way for the camera to check how much light is being passed through the lens is to measure the light while the lens is stopped down. Follow this procedure to properly meter with a screwmount, M, or K lens:

___0. Ensure that the "Using Aperture Ring" custom function is set to "2 (allowed)" (K-30/50/500/01 users must also ensure that the green button is configured to Tv Shift in M/TAv Mode) as described above

Read more at: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/54-pentax-lens-articles/110657-how-use-me...#ixzz3ij2lCk00