Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 7 Likes Search this Thread
08-28-2015, 11:41 AM   #16
Veteran Member

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
So I was thinking about a second, super compact camera with interchangable lenses that would be dedicated to that task (K mount compatible, if that exists), while leaving the K30 with the 70-300 permanently on.
I took a look at the Penatx Q family but looks like the CMOS sensor isn't up to snuff as far as image quality goes...
I have a K-500 and a Q and I must say that the Q's IQ is surprinsingly good, although not up to what you can get with your K-30. You can take a look at the thread "Let's share shots with the Q" in the forum's Q section to see for yourself.

That said, if you want to go this way, I would rather put the telephoto on the Q and the wide zoom on the K-30. The Q really shines in the telephoto range and the results I get from Q + 06 are as good, if nor better, than what I get from my K-500 with the 55-300. The 2.8 constant aperture of the 06 coupled with its pocket size makes it a really amazing lens in the field. The almost 3-stops light advatange this lens has over the K-zoom more than compensate the drawbacks of the system.

08-28-2015, 12:17 PM   #17
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Nikon 1 v3 w/10-30? Fuji XPro1?

If it were me, I would go with a Ricoh GR/GRII

Steve
08-28-2015, 01:25 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I'm planning to get additional lenses to be used with the K30 (Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM being the first of them), so I'd like to stay in the Penatx family and have the possibility to use those lenses on a second body as well. I know this will narrow my options but, you know, I want my ckae and eat it too ;-)
That's why I asked about compact cmeras with K mount lenses compatibility.
I know what you mean, I wanted to use my Pentax lenses on both, too.

My personal solution: I carry two IL cameras, currently a K50 and K3ii. This doesn't make anything "pocketable", but I can change from one FL to another in an instant. I don't enjoy switching lenses in the field. As to the additional body, I wouldn't be happy having a lesser quality switchoff than the 50. If I hadn't already planned to upgrade to the K3, I would have picked up another 50 for the near-nothing price it's going for now. It's light for a full-size camera.

Though I can't speak to the K-01 image quality, if it's as good as what you currently have, then certainly its size would be a major plus for you with a small super-wide lens, so I can understand your interest in it.

When I don't want or need to carry the 2 bodies, I toss the Sony RX100iii in my pocket. It doesn't go as wide as you're wanting (24-70) but, boy, is it small and does it take great pictures! Just can't beat that f1.8.

Someday, I might get a Q + adapter and see what my lenses would do with it.
08-28-2015, 01:27 PM   #19

How about (gasp) the K-S1?

08-28-2015, 01:44 PM   #20
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Not a Number Quote
How about (gasp) the K-S1?
I just read this review (again) and am not sure why I glossed over it the first time. Though it's not supercompact, it's smaller than the K50, has improved IQ, and 20mp's. I'd sure be tempted by that for a second body.

But, look at the new/improved version KS2. Price is falling all the time. 1.5 pounds? Nice! And having gotten very used to the articulating LCD on the Sony, I give that add a big thumbs up. Talk about a great way to make low landscape shots easier. My camera can be on the ground without me! Never thought I'd be a big live view shooter till I tried that.

Last edited by Kath; 08-28-2015 at 02:03 PM.
08-28-2015, 02:15 PM   #21
Pentaxian

K-S2 599 with two lenses.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/302487-pentax-k-s2-...-599-79-a.html

If you are looking, how could this be a mistake?
08-28-2015, 02:52 PM   #22
Pentaxian

Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM

Sigma 12 24mm F4 5 5 6 EX DG ASPH Lens for Pentax AF USA Refurbished 200109 | eBay

^ This is a pretty good lens. These have been refurbished by Sigma & have a 90 day factory warranty.

Sigma 12-24mm F4.5-5.6 EX DG Aspherical HSM Lens Reviews - Sigma Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

https://www.pentaxforums.com/reviews/pentax-12-24mm-lens-comparison/introduction.html?src=lrdb

^ Look at the reviews. Beats out the similar Pentax & Tamron lenses. Take a look at the chromatic aberration section.

08-28-2015, 02:53 PM   #23
Administrator
Site Webmaster

So I got back from my vacation, two types of completely different scenarios: South Tuscany landscapes, Berlin streets...
In both occasions I found myself in the need of shooting wide and tight very frequently (I'm currently walking around with a Sigma 70-300 and - meh - the kit 18-55, untillI get a decent deal on the Sigma 10-20 EX DC HSM I'm lusting for).
Problem is, I continuously have to change lenses on my K30 as I see something that would be better shot with a wide angle versus a zoom, or vice versa...so unscrew, screw on, time lost, momentum lost, dust gets in...
I could get a different walk around lens with more coverage in the wide angle end, but that will never get me some of the exagerated wide fish eye landscapes I like.
So I was thinking about a second, super compact camera with interchangable lenses that would be dedicated to that task (K mount compatible, if that exists), while leaving the K30 with the 70-300 permanently on.
I took a look at the Penatx Q family but looks like the CMOS sensor isn't up to snuff as far as image quality goes...

Alternatives?

Am I nuts?

Thanx

P.S. please move this thread to the most appropriate forum if it doesn't fit in here (most likely the Pentax Compact Cameras)
I'd recommend the GR. People really underestimate it but it's a heck of a camera for its size (slightly better IQ than the K-30!).

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
08-28-2015, 06:42 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I can understand wanting to share lenses between the two cameras, but sometimes it just makes sense to use two systems.

For a compact, high-quality system camera (interchangeable lenses), it's impossible to beat m43. There are some truly tiny cameras in the m43 family, as well as some great compact lenses, such as the Olympus 12mm f2, 9-18mm, 45mm 1.8, and the Panasonic 20mm 1.7.

A second option might be to use a fixed-lens large-sensor compact camera such as a Sony RX100 or Panasonic LX100 for your shorter focal lengths. Those cameras both feature fast/bright standard zoom-range lenses.

A third solution would be to keep the Sigma 10-20mm on your K-30 (a great lens that I used to own and highly recommend!) for the really wide angles, and use something like the Panasonic FZ1000 or Sony RX10 for all your other focal lengths. Those cameras feature long superzoom lenses matched with the great 1" sensor used in the RX100. The RX10 uses a 24-200mm equiv f/2.8 lens, and the FZ1000 uses a 24-400mm equiv f/2.8-4 lens.
08-29-2015, 02:47 AM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have to say that the K-S1 would be my choice. I just bought one for my daughter (Roberts floor model) for 230 dollars on ebay and it is really nice. Good quality optical viewfinder, decent auto focus, small size and good image quality. The K-01 is nice and I shoot with one a lot of the time, but it is slow in just about every respect -- slow frames per second, small buffer, slow auto focus and it would be nice if it had an EVF. And it isn't that much smaller than the K-S1 and the ergonomics are worse. If you only want it for really wide angle lenses, you could easily put one on it though, hyperfocal manual focus it and shoot away pretty easily.

Good luck with your choice.

(K-01 with DA *16-50 shot)

08-29-2015, 02:58 AM   #26

Original Poster
Thanx for your reply.
This shot kind of sums it up for me. If this is K-01 image quality I think I may give it a try. I know the KS1 is probably a better solution in terms of features and IQ, but it defeats the purpose of having a second, pocket size (or quasi-pockest size) body that I can just throw in my camera backpack and pull out when I need to quickly compose a landscape shot. I mean, If I choose to get a very wide angle lens to carry around, then I may as well have it permanently attached to a pocket camera, the space occupied in my backpack would almost be the same...and I'd gain the convenience of having it ready to go.
Makes sense?
08-29-2015, 03:14 AM   #27
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Thanx for your reply.
This shot kind of sums it up for me. If this is K-01 image quality I think I may give it a try. I know the KS1 is probably a better solution in terms of features and IQ, but it defeats the purpose of having a second, pocket size (or quasi-pockest size) body that I can just throw in my camera backpack and pull out when I need to quickly compose a landscape shot. I mean, If I choose to get a very wide angle lens to carry around, then I may as well have it permanently attached to a pocket camera, the space occupied in my backpack would almost be the same...and I'd gain the convenience of having it ready to go.
Makes sense?
You asked in the other thread about the Sigma 10-20 and the K-01. I think it would be a fine combo. Long lenses are tough on it without a tripod because you use the rear LCD to focus and aren't as stable. The 15 limited and it makes a real nice small package though, but as you can see above I shoot with the 16-50 with it all the time and that's a good sized lens.
08-29-2015, 03:25 AM   #28
Veteran Member

This shot kind of sums it up for me. If this is K-01 image quality I think I may give it a try.
Not to take anything away from the K-01, but I think that shot says more about the photographer than it does about the camera. It's a really nice shot.
08-29-2015, 03:35 AM   #29

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
Not to take anything away from the K-01, but I think that shot says more about the photographer than it does about the camera. It's a really nice shot.
For sure...I just appreciated the fact that nice shots can be achieved with such camera, provided it's in the right hands...
08-29-2015, 03:45 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Have you really looked at the sizes of the above mentioned Pentax cameras vs the K-30? There's really not much difference in size between any of them, the K-30 is already a pretty compact camera. I don't think any of the K mount cameras are going to do what you want. I understand, I had a Q for a while and it wasn't quite it, I now carry a K-30 and K-50 when I want to switch lengths frequently but not lenses, I have an 18-135, but don't want to compromise to a longer superzoom. More often I am carrying a 15 or 8 fisheye on one body and a 70-200 or 18-135 on the other. I've thought about a different brand mirrorless system in addition to K mount, but in the end the investment in lenses is more than my budget can stand, because I know LBA would kick in.