Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-29-2015, 05:01 AM   #31
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Just to add some data: k01, k30, ks1 size/weight
Size (W x H x D) 121 x 79 x 59 mm (4.8 x 3.1 x 2.3 in.) 130 x 97 x 71 mm (5.1 x 3.8 x 2.8 in.) 120 x 92.5 x 69.5 mm (4.75 x 3.65 x 2.75 in.)
Weight 480 g (16.9 oz), 560 g (19.8 oz) with battery and SD card 650 g (23 oz) 558 g (19.7 oz)

08-29-2015, 05:33 AM - 2 Likes   #32
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
This shot kind of sums it up for me. If this is K-01 image quality I think I may give it a try. I know the KS1 is probably a better solution in terms of features and IQ, but it defeats the purpose of having a second, pocket size (or quasi-pockest size) body that I can just throw in my camera backpack and pull out when I need to quickly compose a landscape shot. I mean, If I choose to get a very wide angle lens to carry around, then I may as well have it permanently attached to a pocket camera, the space occupied in my backpack would almost be the same...and I'd gain the convenience of having it ready to go.
While I don't want to discourage anyone from trying the K-01, if the K-S1 is too big for this purpose, then the K-01 will be as well. With the exception of the flash housing and a slightly (and I mean slightly) deeper grip, the K-S1 is as small and actually shaves the corners off the K-01 block. I have both; they are very close in size - they fit in the same neoprene pouches, and it can be hard to tell which is which when pouched up. My K-S1 usually lives in my backpack with either the DA21 or snub F35-70 mounted.

(Also: To paraphrase something said in another thread, doing things quickly and the K-01 do not go together. The K-01's CDAF system isn't fond of lenses slower than f/2.8 - even with newer firmware, focusing may hunt a LOT with a lens like the Sigma 10-20.)

Because of the K-mount's register distance, if you want to share lenses, that is as compact as you can go without switching systems and using a (manual focus, manual aperture) adapter. I've toyed with the idea of getting a used NEX as an ultra-small backup body, but for the little space I would gain in the bag and what I'd give up in functionality, I'm better off with the K-S1 or K-01.

Comparison of K-x, K-S1, and K-01

Comparison of K-5, K-S1, and K-30

08-29-2015, 05:49 AM   #33
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
While I don't want to discourage anyone from trying the K-01, if the K-S1 is too big for this purpose, then the K-01 will be as well. With the exception of the flash housing and a slightly (and I mean slightly) deeper grip, the K-S1 is as small and actually shaves the corners off the K-01 block. I have both; they are very close in size - they fit in the same neoprene pouches, and it can be hard to tell which is which when pouched up. My K-S1 usually lives in my backpack with either the DA21 or snub F35-70 mounted.

(Also: To paraphrase something said in another thread, doing things quickly and the K-01 do not go together. The K-01's CDAF system isn't fond of lenses slower than f/2.8 - even with newer firmware, focusing may hunt a LOT with a lens like the Sigma 10-20.)

Because of the K-mount's register distance, if you want to share lenses, that is as compact as you can go without switching systems and using a (manual focus, manual aperture) adapter. I've toyed with the idea of getting a used NEX as an ultra-small backup body, but for the little space I would gain in the bag and what I'd give up in functionality, I'm better off with the K-S1 or K-01.

Comparison of K-x, K-S1, and K-01

Comparison of K-5, K-S1, and K-30
I guess I would just say that when I use a super wide like a DA 15 limited, I don't usually use auto focus at all. I set aperture to f8 and set focus scale to the hyperfocal setting and am pleased with results. This is true not only on the K-01 but my SLRs. If the OP is mainly planning to use this second camera for wide angles, then a K-01 could work OK. But I did mention that it is pretty slow to operate.
08-29-2015, 05:53 AM   #34
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by ramseybuckeye Quote
Have you really looked at the sizes of the above mentioned Pentax cameras vs the K-30? There's really not much difference in size between any of them...I don't think any of the K mount cameras are going to do what you want.
That's what I had in mind when I recommended an m43 or a large-sensor compact for the second camera. I wouldn't want to carry a couple K-mount cameras with me very often.

With how good the compacts have gotten the last few years, I find myself really thinking about it before I decide to take the DSLR out. And now that there's this new 20MP 4/3 sensor that seems to have almost caught up to the APS-C sensor in my K-30, I'm starting to look more and more at the compact bodies and lenses that system has to offer.

08-29-2015, 11:32 AM   #35
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Great read, and helpful for a similar situation. I find myself going back and forth between short and long lenses (mainly 21 and 100 for macro), and have considered a second body. After reading this thread, I decided to pull the trigger on a new KS1 kit I found on ebay for $329. Pretty compelling arguments for the K-30, KS1, and the K-01, and there is a nice K-30 combo in the Marketplace (paired with an F 50 f/1.7), as well as a K-01 + XS 40, but I figure since it will truly be a backup to my K-3, why not give the new sensor a go. I think it pair up nicely with my 21/43, and then I can use my bigger lenses on the K-3/grip (Tamron 70-200, Sigma 70, Pentax 100 WR). I've really had my eye on a GR for a while (like Adam suggested), but I'm always annoyed using LV to compose (because of glare) and I'm afraid it would just make me grouchy enough to not use it very often (like what happened with my MX-1).

Thanks again for the good discussion -- helped separate me from $329 this morning -- lol
08-29-2015, 01:00 PM   #36
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Edgar_in_Indy Quote
That's what I had in mind when I recommended an m43 or a large-sensor compact for the second camera. I wouldn't want to carry a couple K-mount cameras with me very often.

With how good the compacts have gotten the last few years, I find myself really thinking about it before I decide to take the DSLR out. And now that there's this new 20MP 4/3 sensor that seems to have almost caught up to the APS-C sensor in my K-30, I'm starting to look more and more at the compact bodies and lenses that system has to offer.
I don't think four thirds cameras are that much smaller. I just looked at the OM-D E-M5 and other than the OM-D having a little narrower build, it is almost exactly the same size as a K-01. I don't think the difference in size would lead to much difference with regard to portability. It depends as much on the lens you are using on the camera. As to the GX-8, it is a little bit bigger and heavier and my impression was most of the improvements in its sensor had to do with video and if your interest is in still photography, it probably won't exceed the performance of the existing Sony sensors that Olympus currently uses.
08-29-2015, 02:29 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Rondec Quote
I don't think four thirds cameras are that much smaller. I just looked at the OM-D E-M5...
You might want to look at a few more models. Micro four thirds cameras come in all different sizes. I don't know if the Panasonic GM1 is the smallest or not, but it's pretty dang tiny. Check this out:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

From the picture, you would think the K-01 is the size of a Canon 5D or something!

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 08-29-2015 at 04:15 PM.
08-29-2015, 02:41 PM   #38
Loyal Site Supporter

You might want to look at a few more models. Micro four thirds cameras come in all different sizes. I don't know if the Panasonic GM1 is the smallest or not, but it's pretty dang tiny. Check this out:

Compare camera dimensions side by side

From the picture, you would think the K-01 is the size of a Canon 5D or something!
Maybe so. I'm not really familiar with four thirds cameras and not particularly interested since I have a decent line up. Tried to look if there were lenses with same field of view as 10mm on APS-C and didn't find too much, though. Only thing seemed to be a fisheye, but I could be wrong.

08-29-2015, 03:11 PM   #39
Pentaxian

Maybe so. I'm not really familiar with four thirds cameras and not particularly interested since I have a decent line up. Tried to look if there were lenses with same field of view as 10mm on APS-C and didn't find too much, though. Only thing seemed to be a fisheye, but I could be wrong.
Olympus has a 7-14mm f/2.8 and Panasonic has a 7-14mm f/4 which are equivalent to 14-28mm in terms of FF angle of view. By comparison, the Sigma 10-20mm on APS-C would be equivalent to 15-30mm.
08-29-2015, 03:28 PM   #40
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by gerax Quote
I know the KS1 is probably a better solution in terms of features and IQ, but it defeats the purpose of having a second, pocket size (or quasi-pockest size) body
Sorry to say, but the K-01 for all its fine qualities is not a whole lot more pocketable than the K-S1. It is not called "The Brick" for nothin'.

Steve
08-29-2015, 03:54 PM   #41
Loyal Site Supporter

Olympus has a 7-14mm f/2.8 and Panasonic has a 7-14mm f/4 which are equivalent to 14-28mm in terms of FF angle of view. By comparison, the Sigma 10-20mm on APS-C would be equivalent to 15-30mm.
Look like pretty pricey lenses for a second camera.
08-29-2015, 04:03 PM   #42
Pentaxian

Look like pretty pricey lenses for a second camera.
There is also the Olympus 9-18mm which is smaller and cheaper, but still well regarded. But yeah, either way he's going to be spending some money if he wants the second camera to be something decent.

Please keep in mind that he was talking about a "pocket-sized" and "super compact" camera. I wouldn't consider the Sigma 10-20mm by itself without a camera attached to be "pocket sized". I used to own that lens, and with the hood attached that lens is dang girthy. Much more so than my 8-16mm. So something's gotta give! That's why I mentioned the m43 and the fixed-lens compacts.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 08-29-2015 at 04:11 PM.
08-29-2015, 05:02 PM   #43
Loyal Site Supporter

There is also the Olympus 9-18mm which is smaller and cheaper, but still well regarded. But yeah, either way he's going to be spending some money if he wants the second camera to be something decent.

Please keep in mind that he was talking about a "pocket-sized" and "super compact" camera. I wouldn't consider the Sigma 10-20mm by itself without a camera attached to be "pocket sized". I used to own that lens, and with the hood attached that lens is dang girthy. Much more so than my 8-16mm. So something's gotta give! That's why I mentioned the m43 and the fixed-lens compacts.
I sort of got the feeling that the OP's criteria were cheap and able to use his current k mount lenses. I don't know that small size was actually super important in the whole scheme of things, but I guess he'll make his choice based on the multiplicity of options that are out there.
08-29-2015, 05:11 PM   #44
Pentaxian

I sort of got the feeling that the OP's criteria were cheap and able to use his current k mount lenses. I don't know that small size was actually super important in the whole scheme of things, but I guess he'll make his choice based on the multiplicity of options that are out there.
Well, given that in his original post he said he wanted "a second, super compact camera with interchangeable lenses", it seems like size was the major criteria. He said that K-mount would be preferable if such a small camera exists, and he mentioned that he considered the Q system, but was put off by the sensor. To me, all the signs point to m43 for his "super compact camera with interchangeable lenses" since there is no such camera in K-mount.

I guess another option would be the Sony mirrorless cameras, but the lens lineup is not nearly as compelling as m43. With a small m43 camera, he could keep the 9-18mm on most of the time, and have other small lenses in his pockets without even feeling them. Lenses like the 20mm f/1.7 or 45mm f/1.8.

Consider this in regards to what the OP wants: The K-01 with the Sigma 10-20mm would weight 1031 grams (in addition to being bulky). The Panasonic GF7 with the Olympus 9-18mm weighs 421 grams! Add in the Panasonic 20mm 1.7, and Olympus 45mm 1.8 and the entire kit is still only a combined 637 grams! Pretty big difference there.

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 08-29-2015 at 05:31 PM.
08-29-2015, 06:03 PM   #45
Loyal Site Supporter

Stated criteria and actual criteria seem to be shifting. Perhaps the OP could reset expectations based on what seems the most important factors now.