Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-28-2015, 06:04 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Intervalometer picture limit going down

Hi All,
I had a weird problem and I would like to know if anybody had the same issue. I used the intervalometer a couple of times and every time the maximum quantity of pictures I could take was going down. To the point to be under 100 and I had to format the card to be able to get the 999 limit again. The Card had enough space on it for a couple thousand more pictures.

Anybody had this problem or a workaround?

08-28-2015, 06:20 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is quick-and-dirty, but maybe just try using a bigger SD card? Sounds like the camera is underestimating the remaining free space, which is generally the case.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

08-28-2015, 06:30 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I am using a 32 GB SD card already and i can keep pictures from a couple of months back on it as a second backup. Well now less since every time i do a time lapse i shoot until the battery dies... Is there a known card size limit for those camera?
08-28-2015, 09:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

Is there any chance the number of files went over the limit? Seems far fetched but sdhc uses fat32 so these limits apply:

Maximum file size: 4 gigabytes
Maximum number of files on disk: 268,435,437
Maximum number of files in a single folder: 65,534

08-29-2015, 12:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

I have a couple of questions.
  1. Through just taking pictures, one at a time, have you exceeded the "limit" that you are now coming across? Just in using the intervalometer there should be no special limitations imposed.
  2. How did you acquire the card? Purchasing SD cards off of ebay have become notorious for receiving relabeled/fake cards. Counterfeiters have taken say 4GB cards, put new labels on them (say 32GB) and then burned in a new size on to the card, so that it reports more storage than what it is actually capable of holding. This has been going on for years now.
08-29-2015, 06:37 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I highly doubt that I was able able to hit the FAT32 limit on the card.

Next time that the intervalometer limit goes down under 100 i will try to take the remaining pictures one at a time to see what happens.

About the card, it is a ADATA UHS1 bought from NCIX.com, I dont think this is the problem. I have around 4 of those and no problems on other devices.
08-29-2015, 07:48 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by SuperSyx Quote
I highly doubt that I was able able to hit the FAT32 limit on the card.

Next time that the intervalometer limit goes down under 100 i will try to take the remaining pictures one at a time to see what happens.

About the card, it is a ADATA UHS1 bought from NCIX.com, I dont think this is the problem. I have around 4 of those and no problems on other devices.
I doubt it as well.

Easy to test capacity on a computer, just copy large files / directories on it.