Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2015, 09:24 AM   #16
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Mine took... a long time. First they didn't acknowledge it was there. They claimed it had never been delivered. Then I supplied a tracking number that showed it had been delivered. They "found" it a day later. Then there was literally no information - and suddenly an email saying it was being shipped back.

It has worked ever since to their credit.
Hmmm... mine was acknowledged as received within a few days. But pretty quickly placed in Parts on Order status where it has been since.

10-25-2015, 01:51 PM   #17
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ThorSanchez Quote
How long did the repair take at Precision? Mine has been awaiting parts for 2+ weeks.
It took two months. But more recent repairs have been quicker. I think they got a good stock of the aperture control block. But I'm not sure if that's still the case.
11-21-2015, 06:48 AM   #18
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I finally got my K-30 back from Precision after about six weeks or so. I took some indoor test shots and it seemed to work. Then I bring them up in Lightroom and the focus is all off. Like very front-focused. This morning I get up and take some pictures outside, with it stopped down to f/8 and it's all screwed up. Nothing is really in focus. I'm assuming they somehow bollixed up the focus calibration. Playing with the AF micro adjust didn't do much of anything.

I think my solution is going to be to send it back to Precision if they'll agree to try to fix it for free. But I'm probably going to go buy a new body and relegate this to backup duty. I'm all-in on Pentax with a small but nice lens collection. I loved the K-30 right up until it broke. So it's down to a K-3 or a K-3 ii, probably. Might as well get what I really want, if I'm in for $400-500 I don't think I'll skimp and get an older camera or one with fewer features. Being honest, it's probably going to be a K-3 ii. I should wait for Black Friday sales, but I really want a camera for all the family Thanksgiving festivities this coming week. I guess I know what Santa is bringing me this year...
11-21-2015, 08:22 AM   #19
amateur dirt farmer...

use the K-30 as your full-manual body, M42 lenses....

11-21-2015, 09:16 AM   #20
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by pepperberry farm Quote
use the K-30 as your full-manual body, M42 lenses....
I just did a test with my manual Chinon 50mm lens, and it's very front-focused, too. That is, using the red indicator that things are in focus after using the green button for stop-down metering. I guess that's expected, it's still using the same algorithm and calibration for figuring focus, right? Just not auto-turning the focus ring. That would further complicate using the K-30 for only manual lenses.
11-21-2015, 10:06 AM   #21
Loyal Site Supporter

If they replaced the mount or removed it and the distances changed I would think they would need to recalibrate it. If you set your global 1st fine adjust can you get it to work?

Does live view focusing still work?
11-21-2015, 11:13 AM   #22
Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
If they replaced the mount or removed it and the distances changed I would think they would need to recalibrate it. If you set your global 1st fine adjust can you get it to work?
No, that doesn't appear to do much, if anything.

QuoteQuote:
Does live view focusing still work?
Actually, yes. It does appear to work much better. What's the difference between viewfinder and live view focusing?
11-21-2015, 12:50 PM   #23
Site Supporter

Actually, yes. It does appear to work much better. What's the difference between viewfinder and live view focusing?
Completely separate focusing systems. Live view focusing is achieved on sensor. View finder focusing is more complicated and has mechanical components that can get misaligned. This is why good cameras have a fine tuning ability to help with small alignment errors and match camera to lens. In this case it would seem the issue is more than AF fine tuning can fix.

11-21-2015, 12:54 PM   #24
Loyal Site Supporter

No, that doesn't appear to do much, if anything.

Live view uses Contrast Detect Auto Focus via the Sensor itself. Regular AF uses Phase Detect sensors that do not rely on the sensor and can function while the shutter is closed. The Phase Detect system requires calibration to allow focus confirmation or normal auto focus to occur.
11-21-2015, 01:08 PM   #25
Pentaxian

That is, using the red indicator that things are in focus
Just a quick note - the red indicator only shows the focus point being used. The lighted green hex in the viewfinder is the focus confirmation.
11-29-2015, 07:38 PM - 1 Like   #26
Pentaxian

In my opinion Pentax should be replacing these for free. The only thing stopping this being a major is that the failures are occurring at different points over a long period of time. I was lucky (?!) to have mine fail just within the end of my warranty period, but it did require me to return the camera for service and pay for the associate shipping.

There are lots of 'fixes' being touted, but they are all temporary fixes and mask the fundamental problem of a dodgy component. It's disappearing to see this occurring in the K-50, but I guess that illustrates the fact that it's essentially a K-30 in a different body.
Here's hoping they improved the design to the K-S series, and K-3 for that matter...
12-15-2015, 08:50 AM   #27
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
In my opinion Pentax should be replacing these for free. The only thing stopping this being a major is that the failures are occurring at different points over a long period of time. I was lucky (?!) to have mine fail just within the end of my warranty period, but it did require me to return the camera for service and pay for the associate shipping.

There are lots of 'fixes' being touted, but they are all temporary fixes and mask the fundamental problem of a dodgy component. It's disappearing to see this occurring in the K-50, but I guess that illustrates the fact that it's essentially a K-30 in a different body.
Here's hoping they improved the design to the K-S series, and K-3 for that matter...
I actually sent an email to Pentax customer service. I told them about how my K30 is having issues and that it's pretty clear its a common issue that is spread among K30/K50 users.

Not even a replay stating I am out of warranty. They could of spent 1 minute to tell me something. But nope. Nothing.

I love my K30 but I don't know if I stand with Pentax anymore though.

When I think about moving away from the K30 I might just sell off all my gear and look else where.

The only temporary solution for this issue that I've come across is to put the f-stop to the lowest and take quick 3-5 burst shots. By 2-3 shots the issue goes away.
12-23-2015, 08:48 AM   #28
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It appears that my long repair odyssey is at an end. To sum up:

- In September I had the aperture actuator failure.
- Sent in to K&H for repair, stupidly, before getting them to actually say they had the capability to repair. They didn't.
- Got it back in late September, sent to Precision.
- Precision took about a month to fix and return.
- Upon return the focus was mis-calibrated.
- After about two hours of soul-searching I ordered a K-3II. It arrived in time to take awesome geo-tagged pictures over Thanksgiving.
- Returned the K-30 to Precision for them to fix the focus calibration.
- Got it back a couple days ago, and after a few test shots the calibration appears to be spot on.

So the cynic in me says that Pentax turned a camera failure and a rather poor repair experience into a purchase of an all new flagship APS-C camera body. The good-natured holiday spirit version of myself says that I now have two pretty great cameras and should never be in a spot where I have no decent pictures for three months again.
12-26-2015, 05:59 PM   #29
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
try exorcising the sd card door switch first, I HAVE 2 K-30"s THAT I HAD TO USE A PIECE OF RUBBER-BAND BETWEEN THE SD CARD DOOR AND THE SWITCH TO ELIMINATE THE BLACK FRAME PROBLEM . Just saying
12-28-2015, 12:37 AM   #30
Pentaxian

Pentax are such a weird entity, in that we don't really have any access to them themselves. Emails go answered and there is no local office as such. By comparison, other brands are far more approachable, running competitions and product demos etc.