Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-15-2015, 08:27 AM   #1

Pentax K-30 Live View Bugs Me...

Hi everyone!

Recently Im using a K-30 which Im loving the overall IQ and DR, but, as opposed to my previously owned Canon 1100d, I find the live view mode not that good to Manual Focusing... The screen is way better than the one on 1100d however looking at it doesnt seems so. Zooming in to 16x to manual focus is almost impossible to tell if its done correctly and when I turn on Focus Peaking, the image quality is far worse. Black dots and lines everywhere alongside to the expected white borders.

Is it a problem of my camera, or some setting im not doing right?

09-15-2015, 08:35 AM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by BrunoEVT Quote
Hi everyone!

Recently Im using a K-30 which Im loving the overall IQ and DR, but, as opposed to my previously owned Canon 1100d, I find the live view mode not that good to Manual Focusing... The screen is way better than the one on 1100d however looking at it doesnt seems so. Zooming in to 16x to manual focus is almost impossible to tell if its done correctly and when I turn on Focus Peaking, the image quality is far worse. Black dots and lines everywhere alongside to the expected white borders.

If that's the case there might not be enough detail in that portion of the image for focus peaking to offer any benefit, so I'd just use magnification without it, or simply zoom in less. It really depends on the subject IMO.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-15-2015, 11:03 AM - 1 Like   #3

Hi everyone!

As a long time Canon user (just recently picked up a K-50), I can only concur: live view magnification on a Pentax is very poorly implemented compared to Canon. On a Canon, even at 10x magnification, you get a beautifull high-res, steady image, perfectly suitable fort judging critical focus.
On the K-50 otoh, you get someting that seems like a low-res, then upscaled blurry mess, totally useless imho.
Other than that, the K-50 is just splendid. Let's hope Pentax can fix this in the future (firmware) ?

Cheers,

David
09-15-2015, 11:17 AM   #4

Can't help the OP unfortunately, but it sounds from what davleema says that you are probably experiencing normal behaviour. Sorry to piggy back on this thread, but does anyone know if the resolution/clarity of magnified live view is any better in more recent/higher spec Pentax models? This is important to me and will be a determining factor in any new camera purchase I make. I'm no Canon fan, but I have found the magnified live view on all the Canon cameras I have used to be very good. The same thing on a Fuji X100T I tried was significantly worse. My current Pentax model (K10D) doesn't have it at all.

09-15-2015, 12:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
Can't help the OP unfortunately, but it sounds from what davleema says that you are probably experiencing normal behaviour. Sorry to piggy back on this thread, but does anyone know if the resolution/clarity of magnified live view is any better in more recent/higher spec Pentax models? This is important to me and will be a determining factor in any new camera purchase I make. I'm no Canon fan, but I have found the magnified live view on all the Canon cameras I have used to be very good. The same thing on a Fuji X100T I tried was significantly worse. My current Pentax model (K10D) doesn't have it at all.
I have nothing to really compare to. I have a K3 and K50 - I could try to look at this further. Perhaps if the OP posted some photos of the LiveView to show what's lacking?
09-15-2015, 12:26 PM - 1 Like   #6
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
I have nothing to really compare to.
Same here. The magnified live view (OK button press) on Pentax cameras is a 1:1 mapping of the sensor pixel data to the rear LCD. It may be that Canon uses some sort of data extrapolation or sharpening to enhance the display. It is hard to say without a side-by-side comparison. I would suggest that if the live view image in the K-30 is soft, the lens or the subject may be the reason.

Steve

Last edited by stevebrot; 09-15-2015 at 12:33 PM.
09-15-2015, 12:43 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Zooming in to 16x
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't have a K-30 or K-50 in hand (the two cameras are functionally the same), but I believe the live view display is limited to 1x, 2x, 4x, and 6x (1:1 resolution) magnification. OTOH, playback mode and digital preview allow up to 16x. At that magnification, I would expect things to appear both blurry and pixelated. If you are using that mode to check focus, I would suggest only going to 6x.

Steve
09-15-2015, 12:53 PM   #8
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jonby Quote
does anyone know if the resolution/clarity of magnified live view is any better in more recent/higher spec Pentax models?
I have used Live View on the K-30/K-50 with no particular difficulty. Ditto for my K-3. Manual focus is accurate and easy enough, though it should be noted that the focus peaking will reflect the available DOF. As a result, you sometimes get a broad field of highlighted points rather than a well-defined line. This is helpful when focusing on a high contrast border, but much less so with subjects lacking such.

Steve

09-15-2015, 01:51 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

I don't have a K-30 or K-50 in hand (the two cameras are functionally the same), but I believe the live view display is limited to 1x, 2x, 4x, and 6x (1:1 resolution) magnification. OTOH, playback mode and digital preview allow up to 16x. At that magnification, I would expect things to appear both blurry and pixelated. If you are using that mode to check focus, I would suggest only going to 6x.

Steve
That might be it!
09-18-2015, 08:32 AM   #10

Original Poster
This weekend I'm gonna test seriously my little awesome K-30. I mainly take landscape photography, any tips regardings this? I will be mostly using 16-40DA F4 to 5.6 lens. I'm gonna assume on this lens the sharpest fstop will be 8?
10-19-2015, 04:33 AM   #11
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by davleema Quote
Let's hope Pentax can fix this in the future (firmware) ?
Would not hold your breath on this one.