Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-16-2015, 04:02 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
k-30: randomly getting black output images

My friend has a K-30. He often put this camera in his box quite a long time (possibly 1 or 2 months) without using it.

The camera used to work fine. Its shutter counter is about 7000. Recently, it randomly captures (nearly) total black images.

For example, at daylight and taking image at f/2.4, iso 100, 1/200s, the output is nealry black (On a good K30, the output is very good at the same condition.) If I continously take some 2 or 5 more images, the outputs become good then. But letting the camera relax some hours, the problem happens again.

Any ideas why this happens and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot!

09-16-2015, 05:00 AM   #2
Site Supporter

I had a problem like this on my K-r, it was random. I sent it in to Pentax, it took them ages said they couldnt find the issue (or maybe didnt look). They sent me a new one.

Maybe you can send it in if you have warranty or check a service center?
09-16-2015, 05:25 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Are you sure its not the SD card?

You can try the following steps, or just go directly to warranty service (if you still have it):
a) fully charge battery, leave it outside of camera for some hours
2) make sure lens mount and camera mount are both clean
c) make sure the shutter/mirror box is clean of dust and particles
d) reset camera to factory defaults
e) update firmware to the latest one

These steps can sometimes fix odd little problems. But other than that, I have no idea what exactly could be causing your problem, so i have no more specific answers. Good luck
09-16-2015, 05:37 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Sounds like another bad aperture control block. Send it in for repair.

09-16-2015, 05:39 AM   #5
Site Supporter

It's a known K-30 problem....

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/58-troubleshooting-beginner-help/229294-k...e-problem.html
09-16-2015, 11:15 AM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by icy Quote
My friend has a K-30. He often put this camera in his box quite a long time (possibly 1 or 2 months) without using it.

The camera used to work fine. Its shutter counter is about 7000. Recently, it randomly captures (nearly) total black images.

For example, at daylight and taking image at f/2.4, iso 100, 1/200s, the output is nealry black (On a good K30, the output is very good at the same condition.) If I continously take some 2 or 5 more images, the outputs become good then. But letting the camera relax some hours, the problem happens again.

Any ideas why this happens and how to fix it?

Thanks a lot!
I would first make sure that you're using a high-quality (i.e. UHS-I compatible) card that's recently been formatted. Then, if actual underexposure rather than file corruption turns out to be causing the issue, the camera may need to get a new shutter.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

09-16-2015, 01:50 PM   #7

I hope you don't mind me joining in on this thread... I am at 7050 shutter count and I am having this exact same issue, though seemingly with only one lens. Unfortunately, it is one of my favorites, the Sigma 30mm F1.4 Art... Are you seeing these kind of results as well;

Same settings on both... Manual Exposure, ISO 800, 1/30, F1.4

This one is even stranger when you come across it at first... The darker image is with a wider aperture in the settings. You can barely see the glint of the metal base of the lamp in the second one.
Manual Exposure, ISO 800, 1/30, F2.0 (light) vs F1.4 (dark).

09-16-2015, 06:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter

My camera just begin with this problem (K30 +9k shutter count), its the lever that open the aperture, i put the Raw/Fx button to optical preview DoF and have to press that button like 5-7 tome until start to give the actual aperture, the im good to go, idk how much time will be effective until stop working this way

09-16-2015, 11:00 PM   #9
icy

Original Poster
Thank you all for your replies.

I'm in Vietnam, and the local service refuses to repair this kind of issue. Investing another camera seems to build another deam!
09-16-2015, 11:42 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Thank you all for your replies.

I'm in Vietnam, and the local service refuses to repair this kind of issue. Investing another camera seems to build another deam!
Yip, the k-30 is a nice looking and handling camera, but I had a lot of regrets buying it. Luckily the problems with it caused me to go for a K-5iis, which had come down nicely in price by the time I bought it. I will never buy at the beginning of a camera cycle again, wait at least a year to see if problems start showing, and decide then...
09-17-2015, 03:48 AM   #11
icy

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
Yip, the k-30 is a nice looking and handling camera, but I had a lot of regrets buying it. Luckily the problems with it caused me to go for a K-5iis, which had come down nicely in price by the time I bought it. I will never buy at the beginning of a camera cycle again, wait at least a year to see if problems start showing, and decide then...
Great tip. But my friend wouldn't be happy with his K-30 now. And I am also praying for my own k30
09-17-2015, 05:09 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Always get the Pentax extended warranty if available. It really is great for peace of mind. Inexpensive and it paid for my repair in full.
The K-30 is a fantastic camera otherwise.
09-17-2015, 11:01 AM   #13

I have just sent a request for repair under warranty to the shop I bought it at, even though mine is older than two years. Consumer rights here say that a product that fails before an expected lifespan is still subject to warranty. And I do believe that a camera that fails on 7000 clicks when used normally is definitely faulty. I bought it expecting it to last me at least a year or 4-5.
09-19-2015, 03:48 AM   #14
icy

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by altopiet Quote
What is the best camera to buy at the moment? K30, k50 or a K3?

---------- Post added 09-19-15 at 05:49 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by Intrance Quote
I have just sent a request for repair under warranty to the shop I bought it at, even though mine is older than two years. Consumer rights here say that a product that fails before an expected lifespan is still subject to warranty. And I do believe that a camera that fails on 7000 clicks when used normally is definitely faulty. I bought it expecting it to last me at least a year or 4-5.
My friend bought the camera from the 2nd market in Vietnam , and it didn't include any warranty support. It's too risky!
09-19-2015, 05:01 AM   #15
Site Supporter

What is the best camera to buy at the moment? K30, k50 or a K3?
K-50 is basically the same camera as the K-30, just a different looking body with a few extras....If I had the money, I would rather go for the K-3, just get an extended warranty, as it seems to have some problems of it's own https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/172-pentax-k-3/254464-k3-crazy-mirror-sic...ours-here.html