Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-26-2015, 01:09 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Remove K30 aperture control lever?

I hear of some people having failures of their K30 and K50's aperture control units. Is there any way the aperture mechanism in the camera body that aligns with the lens' aperture lever could be removed or cut off in such a case? Then a broken K30 could be used with any lens that has an aperture ring as if it were an m42 takumar lens. Since the repair cost of a K30 is more expensive than the camera is worth, I would like to try this if it ever breaks. Thoughts?

09-26-2015, 02:13 PM   #2
Banned

If I'm not mistaken, you can use any manual lens with an aperture ring, just not set to "a", without modifying of the camera with a bad aperture control.
09-26-2015, 02:56 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

The problematic K30/k50/kr will stop any lens has aperture lever to minimum, no matter how you set the lens or camera. You can only use M42 lens on it.
09-26-2015, 03:00 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
If you removed the lever you're right, lenses with an aperture ring would act as manual diaphragm m42 lenses. Lenses without an aperture ring wouldn't be usable.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
09-26-2015, 03:08 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Al_Kahollick Quote
If I'm not mistaken, you can use any manual lens with an aperture ring, just not set to "a", without modifying of the camera with a bad aperture control.
Except that the actuator mechanism on the camera is wonky. It may or may not fully stop-down or open the aperture during a given exposure cycle or at all for a particular camera. The reported symptoms are variable.

All that aside, the thing that might prove difficult is the clean removal of the "lever" on the body without disassembly.

Steve
09-26-2015, 03:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

When the diaphragm control block failed on my K-50 the mirror was locked up and the shutter would not release. You're looking at an electronic failure; not a mechanical failure. Depending on exactly what symptoms occur with the failure, the camera may or may not be useable in manual mode.
09-26-2015, 06:56 PM   #7
Banned

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
Except that the actuator mechanism on the camera is wonky. It may or may not fully stop-down or open the aperture during a given exposure cycle or at all for a particular camera. The reported symptoms are variable.

Thought I'd seen somewhere you could use manual lenses, but your statement makes sense. My K30 is dark for the first shot, then fine afterwards, for now at least. When it craps out completely, I'll use it as a dedicated Tak camera.