Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-03-2015, 07:49 AM   #1

Build quality of K50

Hi all

I've been thinking of getting a white K50 but today I managed to get my hands on a white K-S1 in John Lewis (a department store chain in the UK) and was not impressed by the quality of the plastic/bodywork.

Does anyone know how this compares to the K50 since they didn't have that one in stock?

Thanks

10-03-2015, 08:27 AM   #2
Imp
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The K-50 will be significantly better. The K-S1 is... different from the rest of Pentax's lineup. And it isn't WR.
10-03-2015, 09:36 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Yeah, the K-S1 is not part of the "main" lineup. Its meant as a different kind of camera, for different kind of consumers.
Its tiny, light, cute to look at, but its not WR. Its not as robust as the K-50, which is in line with the usual Pentax style of cameras.

Still, I suggest you try to find a store where you can hold a K-50, and maybe a K-S2 as well. The S cameras are sideways of the main lineup.
Also, go hold a Canon and Nikon DSLR of similar price range. That will make things easier to decide. The white K-50 is stylish and easy to recommend, especially to beginners who want a tool they can grow with. If you want something even more robust, go for a K-5II or K-3 or K-3II. These are at a higher price point, but you might be able to find a deal, especially with the older models (K-5, K-5II)
10-03-2015, 09:37 AM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter

If by "build quailty", you mean fit, finish, and solidness of the body - about the same. I can't say that the K-S1 "feels" cheaper than any other plastic-bodied Pentax I've owned (and better than some of the older ones) - it's a solid little device. The Canikon consumer DSLRs feel lighter and flimsier by comparison. If you mean how the camera fits to the hand, ergonomics, styling, etc. - well, that's a matter of personal taste, and the K-S1 is not for everyone. Glossy-colored bodies tend to feel more 'plasticky'.

10-03-2015, 12:40 PM   #5
Forum Member

I ordered a K-50 and then began reading the many posts related to aperture/shutter failure issues on K30s and K50s (same construction). The camera arrived, and a second critical letdown was the grip size, which is similar to my Kx, but not as robust as my K200d, which I find ideal in overall balance with both light and moderately heavy lenses.

Because of these two key factors, I returned the K-50 & ordered a used like-new K200d, and now can carry two identical bodies that feel terrific in hand, with different lens set-ups.

We all have different criteria. You can get excellent quality shots out of almost any Pentax dslr body, so beyond that for me, reliability & handling rise to the top of the list.
10-03-2015, 02:17 PM   #6
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by sassinak Quote
Hi all

I've been thinking of getting a white K50 but today I managed to get my hands on a white K-S1 in John Lewis (a department store chain in the UK) and was not impressed by the quality of the plastic/bodywork.

Does anyone know how this compares to the K50 since they didn't have that one in stock?

Thanks
The K-50's ergonomics are a lot better as it has a huge grip that makes the camera very easy to hold. It's also weather sealed and feels less plasticky, but apart that the same materials are used.

The K-S1 is certainly not Pentax's finest development...hopefully it isn't backfiring.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-03-2015, 04:11 PM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the quick replies guys.

By quality I meant how the materials looked and felt. I currently own a K-r and the materials on that have never felt cheap and nasty like the K-S1 did. I have held a black K50, a K-S2 and a K3 and the K50 just feels right in my hand like my K-r. Not convinced about the more boxy look of the K-S2 and the K3 felt different - not instantly comfortable but maybe something I could get used to.

THoog, I completely agree about Canikons! I was bought a Canon 1100D for my birthday a couple of years ago. OMG it felt like a child's toy, yick! It has now found a new home somewhere else.

I suppose I was looking at a different colour seeing as I want to keep my K-r as a second camera and it would be nice to have something other than black seeing as that is an option.
10-03-2015, 04:22 PM   #8
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by sassinak Quote
I have held a black K50
I think there is no difference between black and white, only different colours. Maybe the shiny and matte versions (available in Japan) feel different, but I don't think they have effect on body quality. I think even K-S1 is robust enough (but it is probably not as robust as K-50)

10-04-2015, 06:32 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Get K-50. You will love it. I just got mine a week ago. Very nice built. I did get mine with kit 18-55m lens and, I also bought awesome PENTAX 55-300MM F4-5.8 HD DA ED WR lens
10-04-2015, 12:10 PM   #10

Original Poster
Yeah, that 55-300mm HD lens is pretty sweet isn't it?
10-14-2015, 07:55 PM   #11

I've been a member here for a while, but just today bought my first Pentax, a K-50. After far too much research (or so it felt), I concluded that it met my needs. And it was less than the mirrorless cameras I liked. I hope to use two lenses for now.

For normal prime I'm going to try a 50 mm 1.4 from an old Spotmatic. I know I'll need an adapter but hope it's not too bothersome.

I bought a Sigma Zoom II 75-300 mm on eBay that I hope to use for birds and other animals.
10-16-2015, 02:21 AM   #12
Pentaxian

And are you happy with the build quality??
10-16-2015, 06:37 AM   #13
Pentaxian

I just got my K-50 to replace my K-30. Build quality is very acceptable �� The one thing I do notice is the little patch of body where your right thumb rests, is smooth metal vs the textured surface on the K-30 body. Since I went for the red version I don't know if that is common to all or if it's because of the colored body paint scheme.

Jim
11-20-2015, 10:23 PM   #14

you guys need the 18-135 lens with the k-50!