Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-26-2015, 01:21 PM   #1
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
K50 variable long shutter speeds

The increments on the shutter speed seem invariable on my K50 once I get up around 2 seconds or more. Is there a way to say set a 23 second shutter speed? Or do I have to go bulb and use an intervalometer?

10-26-2015, 01:33 PM   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Yes, you would have to use bulb. But it shouldn't be necessary in you case- for instance the difference between 23s and 20s is about fifth of a stop, which you could compensate for in post if necessary.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2015, 02:06 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Yes, you would have to use bulb. But it shouldn't be necessary in you case- for instance the difference between 23s and 20s is about fifth of a stop, which you could compensate for in post if necessary.
It's because of motion. With stars, depending on the lens, it can make a bit of difference in the perceived star trail. (15, 20 30 being the only options; I used 23 as a random example). I'd prefer to use the max I can without the trails rather than bumping up in post, since some stars won't even appear.
10-26-2015, 02:43 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Makes sense. You'd have to use bulb then, or you could unlock even longer shutter speeds with the gps.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
10-26-2015, 05:15 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Use bulb with a wired remote.

Steve
10-26-2015, 07:33 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Programmable wired remote like this? I think you can set bulb mode on camera and have it control the time of the button press.

Vello Shutterboss Version II Timer Remote Switch RC-C1II B&H
10-27-2015, 08:20 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Original Poster
I generally use a Trigger Trap and my iPhone...when I remember to bring it.

10-30-2015, 04:34 PM   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Programmable wired remote like this? I think you can set bulb mode on camera and have it control the time of the button press.

Vello Shutterboss Version II Timer Remote Switch RC-C1II B&H
Yep, one like that. I use a virtually identical unit sold under the Bower brand.

Steve