Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 06:58 PM   #16
Forum Member

you could probably get a k3 instead of a ks2 if you really wanted a better camera in that price range... otherwise i have 2 k50s(one for me and one for my wife) and we love them. really great camera. so I'm with the k50 and lenses camp. i definitely agree with the da 50 1.8 recommendation. i started with an A 50 1.7 for like 30$? and only having manual focus really helped my skills, but i ended up with the da 50 and it is great. i also agree with the da 35 2.4 recommendation. i don't have it but it looks solid for the price. i saw one on eBay for as low as 80$ used in good shape and was close to getting it but went with last generation sigma 30mm 1.4 for 185 on ebay. after focus adjusting it it is an amazing candid portrait walk around. i really like the length on aspc and its ~500$ cheaper than the fa 31mm. at the price, the new 55-300 hd is a steal and definitely better than the 50-200 but the 50-200 is a great lens too. you can get a used kit 18-55 on eBay for peanuts so consider that before going for a package. the 18-55 and 55-300 would be a good start and the 50 or 35 would be a really good start. the zooms cover cases outdoors but the prime really helps indoors or bad lighting.

---------- Post added 10-29-15 at 10:03 PM ----------

or just jumping to k3 and saying the hell with it. i don't think the k3 to k3ii would be enough of an upgrade to need to make that jump in price and the k3 is probably/definitely? a better camera than ks2. you wouldn't be left wanting thats for sure. i do almost wish we got a k3 instead of another k50 when we got my wife's camera but she definitely wouldnt have taken my k50 and let me have the k3 that i know for certain.

10-29-2015, 07:23 PM   #17
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Welcome to PF @yamyam1106.

For value for money, definitely the K-50 at about half the price of the K-S2 - especially if you are not fussed about the articulating screen or wi-fi.

As others have said think carefully about the lens(es). One of the common mistakes of first-time DSLR buyers is to concentrate on the camera body and neglect the lens choices, In terms of contributing to the quality of your images, the lens matters as much as - if not more than - the camera.

I'd say skip the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses and get something better as a standard zoom: Pentax DA 18-135, Sigma 17-70 C and Pentax DA 16-85 are all highly rated on this forum (although the 16-85 is still rather expensive). The 18-135 and 16-85 are weather resistant (as is the K-50) so you can use them in the rain if you need to. Another advantage of the Pentax-branded lenses is that if you take jpg photos, the camera itself can correct for distortion etc in the image it produces.

If your budget is really really tight some good second hand options for wide-standard zooms are the older versions of the Sigma 17-70 or the Pentax DA 16-45.

If you want something with longer reach, the Pentax 55-300 is a good choice. The WR version is a bit expensive, but the basic DA-L model (only available second hand, but optically the same) is great value at about $US150.

Another budget option is a second hand superzoom (ie lens with a very wide range). The Tamron 18-250 at about $US200 is a great starter lens. Image quality better than the kit lenses (although a step down from the ones mentioned above), and the versatility is extremely handy. It gives you a low-cost opportunity to see where your shooting preferences lie, so you can buy more specialized lenses later when you have a better idea of your needs (and hopefully some more money!).

One or two primes is also a worthwhile investment. As people have said the DA 35 f2.4 and DA 50 f1.8 are both excellent lenses and very affordable.

Last edited by Des; 10-29-2015 at 08:40 PM.
10-29-2015, 07:45 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by yamyam1106 Quote
Budget wise the K-50 is where I want to stay
Well, stay there and invest in some nice glass to go with it.

On a budget, the DA35 and DA50 are excellent value.

The 24-70 and 150-450 can come later. :-)
10-29-2015, 11:48 PM   #19
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I'd say go with K-S2. According to PF review It has faster screwdrive motor, and central point sensitivity goes to -3EV; this may be handy not just for low light, but also shooting with ND filters on wide opened faster lenses and flash in a daylight. I do not think you will see much difference in image quality between mentioned cameras, especially on resized photos. IMHO improved AF makes the difference, but as always, YMMV.

A.

10-30-2015, 01:22 AM   #20
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
I do not think you will see much difference in image quality between mentioned cameras, especially on resized photos.
That's why, on a limited budget, it's better to get the cheaper body and spend more of the budget on lenses. Because with better lenses (e.g. a cheap DA 35 f2.4 or DA 50 f1.8), you will see a difference.
10-30-2015, 01:58 AM   #21
arv
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
That's why, on a limited budget, it's better to get the cheaper body and spend more of the budget on lenses. Because with better lenses (e.g. a cheap DA 35 f2.4 or DA 50 f1.8), you will see a difference.
Well, fast fifty is one of the cheapest lenses to go, but if camera's body refuses to focus, it might be difficult to use all it's advantages. In good light all cameras are ok, problems appear shooting with shallow DOF in a not optimal lightning conditions. Of course, we always can go manual, but that's another story.

A.
10-30-2015, 01:30 PM   #22
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by arv Quote
Well, fast fifty is one of the cheapest lenses to go, but if camera's body refuses to focus, it might be difficult to use all it's advantages. In good light all cameras are ok, problems appear shooting with shallow DOF in a not optimal lightning conditions. Of course, we always can go manual, but that's another story.

A.
i don't think there would be enough of a difference for someone not well versed in dslrs to make a ~300$ difference between k50 and ks2. at the prices currently i still think the k3 would be better than ks2 but i could be wrong if anyone has reasons to say otherwise.

10-30-2015, 05:09 PM   #23
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For the OP's benefit, let me just explain in simple terms what we are debating about autofocus (AF). @arv has pointed out two improvements in the autofocus performance of the K-S2 over the K-50:
1. the screwdrive works faster. The point of this is that on most lenses for Pentax cameras the focus mechanism is driven by a screw powered by a tiny electric motor in the camera. (The exceptions are lenses - generally more recent models - labelled as DC, SDM or HSM, which have a motor in the lens which drives the AF.) So a more powerful or responsive motor in the camera makes a screwdriven lens focus faster. The K-3 is said to be a step up from either the K-50 or K-S2 in this regard. Where is matters most is in heavier screw-driven lenses (e.g. my Sigma 400mm f5.6) and lenses with a long focus throw (such as macro lenses).
2. better AF senstivity. The K-50 autofocus is rated to work at -1EV whereas the K-S2 and K-3 work down to -3EV. That means one and three stops (respectively) below exposure value (EV). Don't worry about the technicalities - the point is that the K-S2 or K-3 will focus more reliably in low light - even with the AF assist light that each has. How much this matters will depend a lot on how often you are likey to shoot in semi-darkness without a flash (or, as arv says, using a ND filter for a long exposure). And how elastic your budget is.

For a full comparison of specs between the K-50, K-S2 and K-3, see this table: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-50 vs. Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-3 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com

One important factor is the feel of the camera. Try to handle each one before you buy. The K-S2 has a smaller grip than the K-50 which may or may not suit you. The K-3 is the papa bear of the family, with extra bulk and heft. Personally I find the K-30 (basically the same camera as the K-50) fits my hand perfectly, but everyone is different.

Don't sweat the choice too much. They are all fine cameras. You can't really go wrong.

Last edited by Des; 11-16-2015 at 05:19 PM.
10-30-2015, 07:25 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I thought I had decided on a Nikon D5300 but I had someone share some light about Pentax and now I'm won over.
It's hard to argue with facts and dollars saved

And see?

Told you this place was super welcoming and helpful

-Heie
10-30-2015, 07:33 PM - 1 Like   #25

Original Poster
I've made up my mind and ordered the K-S2. Should have it next week. Thanks for all the help everyone!
10-30-2015, 07:52 PM   #26
Pentaxian

I've made up my mind and ordered the K-S2. Should have it next week. Thanks for all the help everyone!
Hope you enjoy it! Welcome to Pentax!
10-30-2015, 09:09 PM   #27
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Congratulations. Enjoy it.
10-30-2015, 09:44 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Congratulations - you'll be thrilled - Penatx makes great cameras.

I love to see the happy outcomes of posts such as these!
10-31-2015, 08:41 PM   #29
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Des Quote
Welcome to PF @yamyam1106.

For value for money, definitely the K-50 at about half the price of the K-S2 - especially if you are not fussed about the articulating screen or wi-fi.

As others have said think carefully about the lens(es). One of the common mistakes of first-time DSLR buyers is to concentrate on the camera body and neglect the lens choices, In terms of contributing to the quality of your images, the lens matters as much as - if not more than - the camera.

I'd say skip the 18-55 and 50-200 kit lenses and get something better as a standard zoom: Pentax DA 18-135, Sigma 17-70 C and Pentax DA 16-85 are all highly rated on this forum (although the 16-85 is still rather expensive). The 18-135 and 16-85 are weather resistant (as is the K-50) so you can use them in the rain if you need to. Another advantage of the Pentax-branded lenses is that if you take jpg photos, the camera itself can correct for distortion etc in the image it produces.

If your budget is really really tight some good second hand options for wide-standard zooms are the older versions of the Sigma 17-70 or the Pentax DA 16-45.

If you want something with longer reach, the Pentax 55-300 is a good choice. The WR version is a bit expensive, but the basic DA-L model (only available second hand, but optically the same) is great value at about $US150.

Another budget option is a second hand superzoom (ie lens with a very wide range). The Tamron 18-250 at about $US200 is.
The new hd 55-300 was only about 250 new recently I think it's well worth getting that over the da l or older da for wr alone. The hd coating is really nice for contrast with that lens too. You could get 18-55 wr and hd 55-300 for prob 300 if u got 18-55 used. I don't think the 18-250 would out resolve either lens at their respective lengths at only $200. Most of the budget superzooms have notoriously terrible iq. The kit lenses aren't pro quality but with a superzoom most you are better off using a bridge canera
11-01-2015, 02:28 PM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
A long time ago There was an article that claimed in double blind testing you needed 2x the megapixels (with all else remaining similar) to reliably perceive the difference in resolution.

That said, I think the 16mp k50 is at the sweet spot. Price and features excel in that camera. The ks2 appears to be a wonderful camera and my objection would be the lack of the on board flash capability to remotely control external flash in pttl mode.