Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-29-2015, 09:07 AM   #1

K-50 Vs K-S2

So I've been researching cameras for probably 4 months now. Trying to decide which DSLR to buy as my first camera (right now I use a Sony RX100M2) I thought I had decided on a Nikon D5300 but I had someone share some light about Pentax and now I'm won over. My problem is deciding between the K-50 and the K-S2. Budget wise the K-50 is where I want to stay but since the K-S2 is newer I'm wondering if I'm going to see significant differences in photos. The wifi and articulating screen of the K-S2 isn't really a huge deal if that's the only big price difference. Any insights?

10-29-2015, 09:41 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
Don't use DPReview often but:
Side by Side Specifications Comparison

Also Welcome to the Forum!

Either camera is great and I love my K-50.
If you buy the cheaper K-50, more money for lenses!
10-29-2015, 09:48 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
This is my standard answer regarding image quality:

In good light, the AA-less 20MP of the K-S1/2 gives a little more detail than the 16MP in the K-50. In poor light, the 20MP has a little more noise, but it is of the luminance variety (as opposed to false color), and easy to clean up in post-processing without loss of detail. Some have described the 20MP's noise as "film like", and considered it a plus. It depends on what kind of shooting you do, and how much 'post' you like to do.
10-29-2015, 09:50 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Other than the link posted above, you can check this out, as well: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
I think the K-50 is pretty great, especially considering the awesome prize. The K-S2 is newer and slightly better, though. A beginner probably won't notice this difference very much. So feel free to get a K-50 and expect to replace it in a couple years, when technology and also your own skill continue to improve. You can even get a higher tier camera then. The K-50 has all the features you need to start and then some. It has lots of space for a person to grow their skills, but still is not overly complicated to use (higher tier cameras basically have more buttons, more options and more specialized features, things that can be confusing to someone who is new to DSLRs).

So I recommend K-50, with a nice lens kit (The DA18-135mm bundle is pretty great, its a good lens. Otherwise try to at least find a bundle with a 55-300mm or 50-200mm) and then spend the difference on something like DA 50mm f1.8 or DA 35mm f2.4 (both of these are affordable, but great image quality, fast AF, great low light performance). Oh, and if its available at your location, think about extended warranty on the camera.

It is also a good idea to invest more in lenses than cameras. Lenses will hold their value better and can be used on newer cameras just as well. The lens projects what the camera will record, so if you spend everything on a great camera and then get cheap lenses, you won't get as much quality as the other way around. Cameras on the other hand have a certain shutter life, and can become obsolete as technology improves. That said, they won't get any worse than when they were new - this difference is only comparative, relative to the latest cameras.

Edit: One difference is between how the cameras look and feel. This is very important to some people, so you might want to go to a store or maybe a photography club where you can hold one or another camera. And the Nikon, as well. Many users report this as being the reason they chose Pentax, that it felt much better in hands than other brand DSLRs at similar price points. Because, let's face it, it doesn't matter how good your camera is, if you don't enjoy holding it and just always leave it at home

Last edited by Na Horuk; 10-29-2015 at 10:16 AM.
10-29-2015, 09:53 AM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by yamyam1106 Quote
So I've been researching cameras for probably 4 months now. Trying to decide which DSLR to buy as my first camera (right now I use a Sony RX100M2) I thought I had decided on a Nikon D5300 but I had someone share some light about Pentax and now I'm won over. My problem is deciding between the K-50 and the K-S2. Budget wise the K-50 is where I want to stay but since the K-S2 is newer I'm wondering if I'm going to see significant differences in photos. The wifi and articulating screen of the K-S2 isn't really a huge deal if that's the only big price difference. Any insights?
The K-S2 does have better image quality, but the grip is smaller so it's not as comfortable to hold unless you have small hands.

Our in-depth review of the K-S2 actually compares it to the K-50 quite extensively, so hopefully it will help you decide!

Pentax K-S2 Review - Introduction | PentaxForums.com Reviews

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

10-29-2015, 09:56 AM   #6
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Other than the link posted above, you can check this out, as well: Pentax Cameras | Pentax K-S2 vs. Pentax K-50 - Pentax DSLR Comparison - PentaxForums.com
Thanks, I wondered if PF had this feature like DPR.

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
the grip is smaller so it's not as comfortable to hold
I didn't know that, glad I have a K-50 - the grip is perfect.
10-29-2015, 10:03 AM - 1 Like   #7
KDD
Veteran Member

Either camera. I like my K-50. Suggest DA 50MM F1.8. This lens is very sharp and great colour.
10-29-2015, 10:19 AM   #8
Site Supporter

I've had my k50 for just about two years now. First camera I've ever owned. The only thingsI don't like about it, and this is really being picky, is the battery door is hard to open sometimes. It's seriously perfect for me. The menu is easy to navigate and the buttons are perfectly placed. Not sure if this is the cameras fault but on some lenses, AF isn't 100% accurate all the time. But I'm still learning so it could be my fault. But I'd go for the k50. If you don't need the articulating screen, I don't think you need to spend the extra money. Just my opinion.

10-29-2015, 10:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Do you need an articulating rear screen? Wifi? Then the K-S2 is for you. Do you want the option to use AA batteries? Save some money? Get the K50.
10-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
KS2 can't use wireless PTTL / Flash triggering
10-29-2015, 10:24 AM   #11
Site Supporter

And like others have said, spend the extra on lenses. You can get the k50, DA 35/2.4, DA 50/1.8 for cheaper than the ks-2 with the kit lens.
10-29-2015, 10:59 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Just a comment about the articulating screen. I've had these on a series of Sony movie cameras and I've found them massively useful. In fact in some situations they have enabled me to get to viewpoints that I could not physically do any other way. Now it may be that a new user won't need this capability but it does have genuine uses. Can't say I've used a K-S2, budget won't stretch that way until a certain Friday coming soon.
10-29-2015, 11:27 AM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by AldaCZ Quote
KS2 can't use wireless PTTL / Flash triggering
That is not quite accurate. True, use of the built-in flash for wireless P-TTL (master/controller) is not supported. The feature is supported, however, through the hot shoe, using a wired sync or P-TTL flash. This is the support provided by all current Pentax digital cameras with the exception of the K-3 and K-50, both of which are nearing EOL.

FWIW, I have used wireless P-TTL through the built-in flash on both my K10D and K-3 and have very mixed feelings about the feature. It works, but range is limited and the remote units must be able to "see" the coordinating flash. To be honest, I feel that a less automated approach to remote flash using speedlights and RF sync provides better control and flexibility at a much lower price point. In other words...not a deal breaker for the advanced or pro user and probably not a deal breaker at the consumer level either.

I would be more concerned about the lack of wired remote support on the K-S2.

Steve
10-29-2015, 01:36 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

I have K50 and it is a nice camera, not as nice as my K3, but still a good camera. If the WiFi and articulating screen are not really important than the K50 might be best. Since the KS-2 is smaller it may not be very suitable for longer lenses. I use my DA*50-135 on my K50 but I would not use anything much longer. After awhile it gets uncomfortable without a grip. Neither of the camera bodies will take grip.
If you have a Costco membership or know someone who does this is a great deal. I have almost been considering it myself.
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/94-pentax-price-watch/304857-costco-down-...-bag-k-s2.html
10-29-2015, 02:31 PM   #15
Pentaxian

You can't go wrong with either one. They both have their pluses & minuses. The K-50 is so cheap, that not buying it is almost a crime. The K-S2 puts out some amazing images, though. It basically boils down to how much you're willing to spend & what features you want. The K-S2 does focus better in low light than the K-50.

The only downside with both of them are the 12bit RAW files instead of 14bit RAW files like the current K-3 cameras & older K-5 cameras. It makes a slight difference in the final post processed image quality, but it's not a deal breaker. I can get some amazing images out of my K-50 when shooting up to ISO 3200, but the image quality starts going downhill rapidly at ISO 6400 & beyond. It seems like the K-S2 is still slightly better at ISO 6400.

But seriously, you can't go wring with either one.