Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2016, 12:26 PM   #31
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by mellowyeahlow Quote
Do they grantee that it won't happen again ?
That's the issue. Pentax don't talk about anything, they're an incredibly closed shop type company, so you don't know what the problem really was, and if the fix will deal to that permanently.

eg are we talking a known bad batch, or is it a faulty design, in which case expect the same failure in time with the replacement.

Seriously, these guys don't communicate jack.

But, I suppose they don't have to, if the customer base will go an buy another one of their cameras to deal with the issue?!

02-21-2016, 03:28 PM   #32

Photos: Gallery
Never know if the fix is good

For all of us who sent our camera in for repair - we don't know if the part they replaced is the same type and will eventually fail again...
They must know that the design of the diaphragm control block is the culprit. This same assembly units caused many K30s & K50s to fail.

Rick
02-21-2016, 03:51 PM   #33

I had purchased a new K-50 to supplement my K200d for outdoor use, and then discovered how prevalent this problem is on both the K30 & K50.

Returned it & bought a second K200d used, in mint condition. Couldn't be happier, as I've always enjoyed how the K200d handles. Very well balanced with long or short lenses, and built like a tank!
02-21-2016, 04:09 PM   #34
Pentaxian

If they had all failed at once, then it would have sparked a recall.

As it stands now, I feel I'm sitting on a time bomb waiting to happen again.

02-21-2016, 05:52 PM   #35

QuoteOriginally posted by richandfleur Quote
If they had all failed at once, then it would have sparked a recall.

As it stands now, I feel I'm sitting on a time bomb waiting to happen again.
I know exactly how you feel Richard.

Unfortunately I doubt there ever will be a recall as in Takata Automobile Airbag which affected multiple automakers.

Our problem will be swept under the rug while looking the other away.

Rick
04-17-2016, 11:02 PM   #36

Yesterday I left my K-30 for repair, because of black frame issue. Camera has only ~4500 actuation of shutter and unfortunately warranty is over. I paid 20€ just for the service to take camera and tell how much it will cost to repair. I really like the camera even having in mind all it's fault, but this time I am really considering going away form Pentax.
04-19-2016, 05:12 PM   #37
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by umunas Quote
Yesterday I left my K-30 for repair, because of black frame issue. Camera has only ~4500 actuation of shutter and unfortunately warranty is over. I paid 20€ just for the service to take camera and tell how much it will cost to repair. I really like the camera even having in mind all it's fault, but this time I am really considering going away form Pentax.

Ironically a lot of Pentax owners have opted to upgrade to a newer Pentax model instead. Perfect customers there?!!

04-20-2016, 10:47 AM   #38
Pentaxian

Ironically a lot of Pentax owners have opted to upgrade to a newer Pentax model instead. Perfect customers there?!!
All camera companies have problems with certain models. Perhaps the K30 fails more than it should. Mine works fine and when it dies, I will upgrade to a K-3 or K-1. You get what you pay for and a K30/K50 costs next to nothing compared to similar cameras. Am I a perfect customer? Perhaps, but I would lose a ton of money trying to sell off all my lenses and to convert over to another company who makes cameras I would much less enjoy less to shoot with (I've been with Sony/Minolta, borrowed other people's Canons and Nikons).
04-20-2016, 02:50 PM   #39
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by stillshot2 Quote
All camera companies have problems with certain models.
It's how they handle this, and what they do about it, that counts...
04-21-2016, 03:17 AM   #40

Well, it is not easy to switch system if you have invested in it a lot. It does not matter if it is Pentax, or Canikon. But at the moment I am feeling rather tempted to ditch Pentax.
04-26-2016, 05:07 AM   #41

After calling to Pentax service (they haven't called me by themselves) I got a confirmation that the reason is diaphragm control block and the repair cost is 90€ and I will get additional 3 month warranty for the part. Not yet sure if I should be happy or not...

Last edited by umunas; 04-26-2016 at 06:07 AM.
04-26-2016, 05:22 PM - 1 Like   #42

After calling to Pentax service (they haven't called me by themselves) I got a confirmation that the reason is diaphragm control block and the repair cost is 90€ and I will get additional 3 month warranty for the part. Not yet sure if I should be happy or not...
Sorry to hear what you are going thru. You said your K30 has 4,500 shutter actuation - to me that's practically new. They already have your 20€ just to look at it so I'd go for the 90€ replacement on the diaphragm control block might as well. Pentax/Ricoh ought to bite the bullet and come forward with a Recall and fix affected K30/K50 free of charge. But they are sweeping the problem under a rug and keeping quiet. Grrrr! Hope you get your camera back and running quick.

Rick
04-26-2016, 06:26 PM   #43
Pentaxian

Well, it is not easy to switch system if you have invested in it a lot. It does not matter if it is Pentax, or Canikon. But at the moment I am feeling rather tempted to ditch Pentax.
My point was that this lets Pentax off the hook of any obligation to fix a faulty part.
04-27-2016, 10:43 AM   #44
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You can still use the K-30/K-50, just not to get the camera to meter or change the aperture.

All of which require the lens to have a manual aperture ring. So either old school film manual, or a lot of Tamron lenses have these also for example.
So, old school solutions would be

(1) M42 lens

(2) aperture-ring K-mount lens + hand-held lightmeter

Last edited by reh321; 04-27-2016 at 08:19 PM. Reason: made (2) more precise
04-27-2016, 11:08 AM   #45
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
So, old school solutions would be

(1) M42 lens

(2) aperture-ring lens + hand-held lightmeter

Yes. If you don't have a light meter, there are a couple phone apps you can use, such as MyLightMeter.