Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2015, 02:11 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K50/K30 Live View question

Is there a set up where you can visually see in Live View - the exposure compensation you applied?
In this picture below I've set negative exp-comp all the way to -5 half press shutter to focus - you see the scene on the screen.

After picture taken - what you get is how the scene really is with -5 exp comp.

This with +5 exp comp.

The correct picture with +5 exp comp.

Thank you for any info.

Rick

11-15-2015, 03:30 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can enable the display of the histogram and use that to give you an idea of the exposure.
11-15-2015, 03:46 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
You can enable the display of the histogram and use that to give you an idea of the exposure.
Thank you for your response Steve. Okay, I'll try w/ live histogram display.
I was hoping that K30/K50's live view will act like the LCD / EVF of a bridge or Mirrorless cameras.

Rick
11-15-2015, 03:52 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Hmm, just playing with this, it appears the histogram stops changing at around +/-2 just as the screen stops dimming/lightening. If I go to -5ev, the histogram still shows as it does at -2ev more or less but if I take a photo, the histogram is buried on the left edge as you would expect.

11-15-2015, 04:08 PM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by colonel00 Quote
Hmm, just playing with this, it appears the histogram stops changing at around +/-2 just as the screen stops dimming/lightening. If I go to -5ev, the histogram still shows as it does at -2ev more or less but if I take a photo, the histogram is buried on the left edge as you would expect.
Thank you colone100 for testing w/ your camera. The Live View dims or brightens up to a certain point but not really show the full extent of the applied exposure compensation. Maybe that's the characteristic of Live View on DSLR.

Rick
11-15-2015, 04:17 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, I could understand that limit as it may be the goal to allow you to still see something on the screen. However, it is a bit troubling that the histogram does not function normally though.

Here are some quick photos from my phone showing what I mean:

-1ev

-2ev

-4ev

-5ev

Histogram after photo is taken

Sorry again for the crappy phone photos.
11-15-2015, 04:37 PM   #7

Original Poster
Yeah, I could understand that limit as it may be the goal to allow you to still see something on the screen. However, it is a bit troubling that the histogram does not function normally though.

Here are some quick photos from my phone showing what I mean:

-1ev

-2ev

-4ev

-5ev

Sorry again for the crappy phone photos.
Yes, at -5.0 EV the display ought to be almost black but looks like its just about the same as at -2.0 EV.
Thanks again.

Richard

11-15-2015, 06:05 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Hinomaru Quote
Yes, at -5.0 EV the display ought to be almost black but looks like its just about the same as at -2.0 EV.
Well, thing is there's not much point in having a live view if you can't see anything right?
Pentax engineers clearly decided that you need to be able to see to focus, use focus peaking and to compose. So it makes some sense not to dim the screen too far.
But you can set the RAW/Fx button to give you a digital preview.

QuoteQuote:
This is correct. It's showing the photo is well under exposed and displaying all channels.
11-15-2015, 06:26 PM   #9
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Well, thing is there's not much point in having a live view if you can't see anything right?
Pentax engineers clearly decided that you need to be able to see to focus, use focus peaking and to compose. So it makes some sense not to dim the screen too far.
But you can set the RAW/Fx button to give you a digital preview.
I agree with this assertion, to a point, that they can only dim the screen so far However using the RAW/Fx button only changes the live view image slightly and it does not provide a true preview of what the image will be.

This is correct. It's showing the photo is well under exposed and displaying all channels.
My point here is the histogram in the the final photo, while correctly displayed as you state, does not match the histogram that is shown in live view before taking the photo. Also, the screen brightness and histogram are the same from -2ev to -5ev. It would be interesting to see if this is the same function on other models.
11-15-2015, 06:40 PM   #10
Veteran Member

However using the RAW/Fx button only changes the live view image slightly and it does not provide a true preview of what the image will be..
Hmmm.. It does on my K-50 perfectly because the RAW/Fx button is taking a snapshot digital preview then displaying that, not changing LiveView at all.
11-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #11
Forum Member

just take test shots/review last shot and adjust exposure. a quick glance at the preview after you take the shot should be enough to say ok let me adjust this. worst case scenario, if you think it should be -4 for instance take a shot in -5 and -3 too. if its on a tripod you could probably layer them like what they do with HDR shots so you don't blow out highlights or underexpose the rest of the image.
11-15-2015, 06:50 PM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Yeah, that is interesting. So if you are set at -5ev and hit the RAW/Fx button, does it show a completely dark preview? Assuming you are sitting in a similarly lit room like I am.

Here is what it looks like when I hit the RAW/Fx button. Again, sorry for the crappy phone pic

11-15-2015, 07:52 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Yeah, that is interesting. So if you are set at -5ev and hit the RAW/Fx button, does it show a completely dark preview? Assuming you are sitting in a similarly lit room like I am.
Yes, it does.

Here is what it looks like when I hit the RAW/Fx button. Again, sorry for the crappy phone pic
No, that's not showing you a Digital preview, make sure the RAW/Fx is set to Digital Preview and not Optical preview in the Button customization menu.
11-15-2015, 07:53 PM   #14
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hinomaru Quote
Is there a set up where you can visually see in Live View - the exposure compensation you applied?
In this picture below I've set negative exp-comp all the way to -5 half press shutter to focus - you see the scene on the screen.

After picture taken - what you get is how the scene really is with -5 exp comp.

This with +5 exp comp.

The correct picture with +5 exp comp.

Thank you for any info.

Rick
Nope, there is no real-time preview option. The K-3 and 645Z can do that in M mode, though.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
11-15-2015, 07:57 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
Nope, there is no real-time preview option. The K-3 and 645Z can do that in M mode, though.
Sorry Adam, but yes there is.
Even setting the RAW/Fx button to Optical preview works in the same way as the flagship series by showing you via the OVF what your exposure settings will capture.