Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-18-2015, 09:53 AM   #1
Forum Member

Live with or upgrade

Hi all, its been a while since i last posted. My k30 has developed a small issue where it sometimes blacks out during long exposures. It becomes completely unresponsive and i have to remove the battery and then put it back in to get life back into it. So i was wondering if anybody else is having this issue, if so is there any fixes for the problem. My other option is to upgrade probably to a k3II but I'm not sure i want the expense. Any thoughts and/or feed back would be welcome.

11-18-2015, 10:17 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Albums
The K-3 / K-3ii is a way better camera (or so I hear), if I were you I would upgrade.
11-18-2015, 12:34 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nfraser Quote
Hi all, its been a while since i last posted. My k30 has developed a small issue where it sometimes blacks out during long exposures. It becomes completely unresponsive and i have to remove the battery and then put it back in to get life back into it. So i was wondering if anybody else is having this issue, if so is there any fixes for the problem. My other option is to upgrade probably to a k3II but I'm not sure i want the expense. Any thoughts and/or feed back would be welcome.
Both the K-3 and K-3 II would be a very good upgrade. If you don't want to spend as much (or if you want an on-board flash), get the K-3.

By the way, if you've had your K-30 for a while it's possible that your battery might be in need of replacement.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

11-18-2015, 01:25 PM   #4
KDD
Veteran Member

Or waiting for new Mid-Range. I think they should announce new Mid-Rangeon 2016.

11-18-2015, 02:44 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

See what Black Friday brings? K3 or K3ii is a sweet option. KS-2 is good with minor irks (no on board optical flash master/controller without extra AF360fgz/AF540fgz type flash on the camera to act as controller/master. KS-1 if WR is no concern and you can stand to be seen carrying it... LOL. K50 is a direct replacement and cheap as dirt right now.
11-19-2015, 06:51 AM   #6
Forum Member

Original Poster
thanks for all the responses, i have tried the camera with different batteries and with AA batteries and the problem still happens. I think I'm going to upgrade.
11-19-2015, 07:40 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter

The K-3 is a great camera and should be a bargain this holiday season. You might try a new battery for your K-30 first.
11-19-2015, 12:23 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I agree with getting a new battery. I recently did just that with my K-30 and gained new life for the camera. I got the genuine Pentax battery.

11-19-2015, 02:20 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
I've just got a K-3 after having a K-30 for 2 years. First impressions are that it's a big upgrade. Not just the headline features (24mp sensor, no AA filter, dual SD card slots, robust construction, -3EV AF, etc), but a hundred little things. Just to mention a few: in camera checking for dust on the sensor, very quiet shutter, more powerful screwdrive motor means faster focusing, dedicated back-button, selectable mirror lock-up (on the K-30 the only MLU was with 2 sec delay shooting). More heft, more complexity and I prefer the mode dial on the right as in the K-30, but in the long run I think I will grown to love the K-3.

OTOH, the K-30 is a fine camera. You could get another (or a K-50) second hand for very little.
11-19-2015, 04:25 PM   #10
Pentaxian

There is also the K-5IIs. I just saw a seller selling 10 new ones in the USA for about $560.

New Pentax K 5 IIS Digital SLR Camera Body Only Brand New 027075220737 | eBay

^ Body only, though. This camera extracted the most of out of that wonderful 16MP Sony sensor.

But yeah. The K-3 is an awesome camera. Wait until "Black Friday" to see what deals come up. It's only about a week away.