Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 8 Likes Search this Thread
12-15-2015, 04:34 PM - 1 Like   #16
Veteran Member

We can't discuss 'seconds' in the same context. I seriously doubt 2nds even exist considering modern manufacturing and assembly standards (especially from Pentax). If they do they'd never get out for general sale. Then even if they did, well you'd take you chances like any other '2nd'. But you certainly should not make a generalized statement on a Pentax forum that the K-50 has 'zero seals on the bottom'.. Especially as you have not provided any proof this is true.

12-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #17

Sensor dirt...how can come in?

Hello everybody,
i have a question.
How is it possible to have dirt (hair mosty 6-8 pieces) on my sensor (really destroyed pics), since i never change lens (i don't have 2nd) and since my k-50 (body & lens) is weather shield meaning that it is almost impermeable even from water?
George/Greece
12-27-2015, 09:16 AM   #18

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-50  Photo 
12-27-2015, 10:50 AM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by georgethess Quote
How is it possible to have dirt (hair mosty 6-8 pieces) on my sensor (really destroyed pics)
Some kits are sold with a regular lens, not a WR version. So make sure you actually have a WR lens.
Next, zoom lenses work like a pump and pull air back and forth through the camera. The mirror also moves and pushes things around. I think the main weakpoint of the WR on that camera is actually the viewfinder? Anyway, different parts move air and particles around. And the digital sensor is static, so it attracts some particles.
I suggest you get a rocket blower and clean the sensor. There are plenty of threads and posts about this, and it should solve your problem fairly well. There are other tools for sensor cleaning if you want. You can even take it to a shop to have it serviced. Rocket blower should be enough. Never touch the sensor with hand or vice, and be super careful if you use a fluid cleaner. And don't mix fluid cleaners from different brands, I was told they can react with each other.
Also, there is an in-camera option that shakes the sensor and cleans it a little. You can set this up so it does it automatically every time you turn on or off the camera. I think its a good idea to have this on, but it might be too late when there is so many particles already.

That said - this happens to ALL large-sensor digital cameras of all brands. Dust, hair,.. it is unavoidable on any DSLR and mirrorless cameras.
Note that hair is actually very very fine and might get sucked into places where a water droplet could not penetrate, because water has a certain surface tension. The WR would probably fail if you submerge the camera or if you pour it with steam. Once the force of the water becomes stronger than the force keeping it out, it will go in.

12-27-2015, 11:05 AM   #20

QuoteOriginally posted by Na Horuk Quote
Some kits are sold with a regular lens, not a WR version. So make sure you actually have a WR lens.
Next, zoom lenses work like a pump and pull air back and forth through the camera. The mirror also moves and pushes things around. I think the main weakpoint of the WR on that camera is actually the viewfinder? Anyway, different parts move air and particles around. And the digital sensor is static, so it attracts some particles.
I suggest you get a rocket blower and clean the sensor. There are plenty of threads and posts about this, and it should solve your problem fairly well. There are other tools for sensor cleaning if you want. You can even take it to a shop to have it serviced. Rocket blower should be enough. Never touch the sensor with hand or vice, and be super careful if you use a fluid cleaner. And don't mix fluid cleaners from different brands, I was told they can react with each other.
Also, there is an in-camera option that shakes the sensor and cleans it a little. You can set this up so it does it automatically every time you turn on or off the camera. I think its a good idea to have this on, but it might be too late when there is so many particles already.

That said - this happens to ALL large-sensor digital cameras of all brands. Dust, hair,.. it is unavoidable on any DSLR and mirrorless cameras.
Note that hair is actually very very fine and might get sucked into places where a water droplet could not penetrate, because water has a certain surface tension. The WR would probably fail if you submerge the camera or if you pour it with steam. Once the force of the water becomes stronger than the force keeping it out, it will go in.
thanks for the reply.
my lens is WR 18-55 and is weather shield.
I have been informed about how to clean my sensor. I have also bought a rocket blower. But for this time i gave my cam to a professional store to clean it for me.
I just posed this post just to take an answer about "how is it possible..." and you answered very well. Thanks

ps. the only part of the camera i usually open is the Battery cover to charge it, and rarely the USB connector. But i don't think these departments communicate with the sensor room!
12-27-2015, 11:44 AM   #21
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

really destroyed pics)
Those are easy enough to clean up in Post processing. Reminds me I need to go blow my sensor off. I had a speck in my last couple of shots as well. I would wonder if you have a WR lens. Some were sold without the WR lenses. Also It could be possible for dust to enter when changing batteries or SD cards.
12-27-2015, 01:58 PM   #22

Attached Images

12-27-2015, 04:20 PM   #23
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
If the lens changes length when focusing or zooming, it sucks in water or particles.

The DA*50-135 and AFAIK 60-250 don't, but you pay extra!
12-27-2015, 04:41 PM   #24
Veteran Member

I just posed this post just to take an answer about "how is it possible..." and you answered very well. Thanks

One test some people do is to sit in a quiet, calm room. Then move close to the viewfinder and other little gaps, and zoom or focus the lens. You can sometimes feel a small breeze coming in or out of the seams/gaps. Really depends on things like lens design and pressure/temperature difference between inside and outside of camera.
There were some threads about this stuff long ago, with people wondering if this is a bug or just unavoidable. I guess you got to deal with what you got
12-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #25
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
The DA*50-135 and AFAIK 60-250 don't
I think they do, they are internal focus but not internal zoom.
12-27-2015, 05:52 PM   #26
Otis Memorial Pentaxian
Otis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis FanOtis Fan
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by bertwert Quote
I think they do, they are internal focus but not internal zoom.
My 50-135 is definitely internal zoom *and* parfocal. :-)

Gorgeous pics - got mine cheap from someone who noticed its SDM was playing up.
12-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #27
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by clackers Quote
My 50-135 is definitely internal zoom *and* parfocal. :-)
Ok you're right, I just googled around.
I think that is the only WR pentax zoom lens that is. 60-250 definitely isn't.
12-27-2015, 06:10 PM   #28
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by flugfiske Quote
I've been little skeptic about the weather sealing in dslr:s. But my worries seem to be pointless, as this picture proves...
I was shooting some offroad driving on 21.11-15, and my camera got it share of mud and water, but after I wiped it with moist cloth it looked like new again. Even the lens did not get any damage.
My K-50 and K-30 have both been in heavy rains and heavy wet snows (with DA18-135WR and DA300*) and have come out much better than I have.
12-27-2015, 07:58 PM   #29
Veteran Member

How is it possible to have dirt (hair mosty 6-8 pieces) on my sensor (really destroyed pics), since i never change lens (i don't have 2nd) and since my k-50 (body & lens) is weather shield meaning that it is almost impermeable even from water?
Did your camera come brand new in the box with the lens fitted? No, there's always time for dust to get in especialy if you are new to ICL cameras and initially popped off the body cover to fit the lens in a dusty/breezy environment without realizing how easy it is for dust to get inside a DSLR.

QuoteQuote:
is weather shield meaning that it is almost impermeable even from water?
No. WR = Weather Resistant. Not Water Proof.
12-28-2015, 01:04 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by Steve.Ledger Quote
Did your camera come brand new in the box with the lens fitted? No, there's always time for dust to get in especialy if you are new to ICL cameras and initially popped off the body cover to fit the lens in a dusty/breezy environment without realizing how easy it is for dust to get inside a DSLR.

No. WR = Weather Resistant. Not Water Proof.
Yes, it was brand new and fully packed. I was super fast and careful when i initially attached the lens (18months ago. dust appeared 1 month ago during vacation). Since then, i never unplugged it.
Whatever means WR, i don't plan to make k50 underwater cam.

my issue is why so much dust came inside the sensor room.
Thanks for the reply