Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2015, 02:39 PM   #1

Split prism focusing screens?

Have just seen that Katz Eye Optics has gone out of business. (Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics)

I need a split prism focusing screen for my Pentax K50 - can anyone recommend another manufacturer?

I can find one on amazon uk citing suitability for the K5, K7, Kx & Kr, but not mentioning the K50, and in any case possessing many a one-star review.

Alternatively, will the one from my K-r fit the K50? I'd check on the Katzeye website but they've taken all the info down...

Thanks!

Last edited by MrA; 11-25-2015 at 03:34 PM.
11-25-2015, 02:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
will the one from my K-r fit the K50
I don't think so...

QuoteOriginally posted by MrA Quote
I'd check on the Katzeye website but they've taken all the info down...
Pentax DSLRs - KatzEye Optics

These use the same screen: Pentax K-3 K-5, K-5II, K-7, K-30, K-50 & K-500 KatzEye Focusing Screen

K-r screen is (was) a different product: KatzEye Focusing Screen for the Pentax K100D, K110D, K100D Super, K200D, K-x, and K-r

These links go to archived versions of the page.
11-25-2015, 04:18 PM   #3
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The cut-down Nikon K3 screen* from focusingscreen.com is probably the closest you can get to a KatzEye. The split image is highly resistant to blackout.

Nikon K3 for Pentax K-r

They make a good product.

Steve

* Not related in any way to the Pentax K-3 or any Pentax product. "K3" is the Nikon product name.
11-25-2015, 04:40 PM - 1 Like   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I got a cheap Chinese version from eBay for around $35. It dimmed the viewfinder, but it had a split prism, installed easily, and was 100% accurate.

11-25-2015, 04:49 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
The cut-down Nikon K3 screen* from focusingscreen.com is probably the closest you can get to a KatzEye. The split image is highly resistant to blackout.

Nikon K3 for Pentax K-r

They make a good product.

Steve

* Not related in any way to the Pentax K-3 or any Pentax product. "K3" is the Nikon product name.
IIRC, KatzEye also used Nikon blanks, which they cut down and laser-etched. (Or at least I read that somewhere on the Internet. So you know it's true. )

I have at least one KatzEye screen and a focusingscreen.com K3, and they are pretty much identical. I tried a cheapo eBay/China screen, and it was much murkier. YMMV
11-25-2015, 05:36 PM   #6
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by THoog Quote
IIRC, KatzEye also used Nikon blanks, which they cut down and laser-etched. (Or at least I read that somewhere on the Internet. So you know it's true. )
Rachael Katz has vigorously disputed that assertion in private conversations with users on this site in the past. That being said, there is no denying the similar appearance and performance between the two products. I suspect that Katz Eye and Nikon may have both used working blanks from a common source manufactured to spec.

As for the cheapo eBay screens (jinFinance?)...mileage? What mileage? I will cut my own before I go there.

Steve
11-25-2015, 05:43 PM   #7
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
I will cut my own before I go there.
I would *love* to see that!

11-25-2015, 05:51 PM - 2 Likes   #8
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
I would *love* to see that!
Screens! Screens! I would cut my own SCREENS!

Steve
12-17-2015, 12:59 AM   #9
Forum Member

I've recently passed on my revered K10D to my son & bought a KS-1. I had a split screen for the K10D but I can't seem to find one for the KS-1. Any ideas?
12-17-2015, 09:11 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jibbonpoint Quote
I've recently passed on my revered K10D to my son & bought a KS-1. I had a split screen for the K10D but I can't seem to find one for the KS-1. Any ideas?

The K-S2 and K-S1 should use the same screen as the K-7/5/5II/5IIs/3/3II/30/50/500. Pentax lists the same matte replacement screens for all of them.
12-17-2015, 11:53 AM   #11
Forum Member

The K-S2 and K-S1 should use the same screen as the K-7/5/5II/5IIs/3/3II/30/50/500. Pentax lists the same matte replacement screens for all of them.
Thanks. I use a lot of manual lenses so the split screen works well with them. Any advice on which one would be the best choice on the Pentax list? Katz Eye, I noticed have ceased production, which is a shame.
12-17-2015, 12:14 PM   #12
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by jibbonpoint Quote
Thanks. I use a lot of manual lenses so the split screen works well with them. Any advice on which one would be the best choice on the Pentax list? Katz Eye, I noticed have ceased production, which is a shame.
focusingscreen.com actually lists screens for the K-S1 (just cross-listings of the compatible models, I'm sure). As discussed above, I think the K3 screen is very close to the KatzEye,

Focusing Screen
12-17-2015, 11:51 PM   #13
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Well, I deliberated for a long time, but since KatzEye has closed for sure now, I took the plunge and ordered the Nikon K-3 focusing screen for my K3 from "focusingscreen.com". I missed the cut-off for pre-holiday shipping, so mine won't go out until 4th January. Quite looking forward to giving it a try. I'm a bit concerned as to whether or not it will need shimming, and I've never removed / replaced the focusing screen before, but I guess there has to be a first time

Last edited by BigMackCam; 12-18-2015 at 06:07 AM.
12-20-2015, 03:34 AM   #14
Forum Member

focusingscreen.com actually lists screens for the K-S1 (just cross-listings of the compatible models, I'm sure). As discussed above, I think the K3 screen is very close to the KatzEye,

Focusing Screen
Thanks once again. The Ec-b looks like the one to go for? I did buy, a katz eye for the k10d years ago. It worked well.
12-20-2015, 11:51 AM   #15
Forum Member

I bought a cheap Chinese one on Ebay, works great.