Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-01-2015, 03:31 AM   #1

Does K-50 drive all EyeFi Mobi cards ?

Hi all,

I plan to invest in a wireless solution in order to be able to quickly share my K-50 shots through my Android phone.
I've been looking at those Eyefi cards and was wondering if the transfer feature allowing to choose which photos to transfer of the K-50 was usable with the Mobi or if I had to get a Mobi Pro ?
I can't imagine uploading all my photos to my phone and the protected photos first hack doesn't look much handy...

Thanks in advance for your answers here, have a good day, wherever you are !
Alexis.

Last edited by Alexis LEGROS; 12-01-2015 at 06:57 AM.
12-01-2015, 06:19 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I have the Eyefi Pro X2 which is the older card and uses the older app on the PC and Android phone/tablet. The K-50 supports it just fine although sometimes it's a little slow to get started and the setup is a bit finicky. When it's working it works great but when it decides to take a day off it's an exercise in frustration. If you're shooting in jpeg or Raw+ and only want the jpeg pictures on your phone then it will work just great but if you want the raw files to go to the computer and jpegs to the phone then it gets a little more complicated but it can be made to work. I also had a 32MB Eyefi Mobi Pro and could not get it to work reliably; I ended up sending it back to Amazon. It's honestly easier or me to just upload directly from the memory card or via the USB cable. I also use a K-5IIs which does not support Eyefi directly so that pretty much sealed the deal as far as putting the Eyefi in unused gear drawer goes. I didn't want to deal with multiple methods of handling images so I just upload directly form the memory card now. Your mileage may vary.
12-01-2015, 07:11 AM   #3

Original Poster
Hi Dakight, thanks a lot for your sharing.

Maybe someone else tried other wifi capable cards, like Transcend's for example ?
12-01-2015, 10:00 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Try the Toshiba FlashAir. Works fine for me in various Pentax bodies, as does the FluCard of course.

12-01-2015, 12:43 PM   #5
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You might consider contacting Eye-Fi regarding compatibility...or perhaps simply consult their Web site:

Compatibility | Eyefi: Pentax K-50

Steve
12-01-2015, 01:31 PM   #6

My understanding is that you can use any wifi card. The card itself will create its own wifi, even if your camera isn't "compatible", as long as there's enough power to the card, which usually there is. I use the EyeFi Mobi with my K5 and K-01, even though there isn't an Eye-Fi in the menu. As long as the power is on and not turned off by power save, the wifi signal should be created. Every once in a while, I have issues with finding the wifi, but powering the camera on and off a couple of times will usually fix it.

I think that there are three major EyeFis still on the market. The older EyeFi X2 Pro, EyeFi Mobi (non-pro), EyeFi Mobi Pro. I've only used the Mobi (non-pro) so I'm basing my judgement on that. To make things a little more confusing, there are are different apps in the app stores. I've only used this on the iPhone iOS, so again, your experience might be different. The two apps in the Google Play Store and Apple App Store are EyeFi (older application) and EyeFi Mobi.

I think the main difference between the regular Mobi and the X2 Pro or Mobi Pro is that only JPGs are transferred. I'd consider the Pro models only if I wanted to transfer RAW files through wifi.

The difference between the older X2 pro card and the Mobi (and Mobi Pro) cards are how the wifi is set up. The Mobi cards come with a special... card. It's a plastic card with a code, you enter it in the EyeFi Mobi app and a wifi profile is created. I think the X2 card is more manual setup.

The two apps are slightly different as well. The older EyeFi app will download any movies or JPGs automatically. I shoot in RAW, and when I want to share an image quickly, I'll use the in camera processing to create a JPG, open the EyeFi app and the new image will show up with all of the other images in my image gallery. In the description for the EyeFi (older) app, it says that if you use the Mobi card to use the Mobi app. However, I've found that once the initial wifi profile is set up through the EyeFi Mobi app, the older app will work with the Mobi card. I personally don't like to use the Mobi app because in order to save pictures, at least in iOS, it saves the picture to the app, then you have to tell the app to save the image to your gallery. It's an extra step that I didn't like. However, if you shoot JPGs and not RAW or if you shoot RAW+JPG, I'd use the Mobi app because it allows you to preview and choose which pictures to transfer.

I hope that helps and was not too confusing.
12-02-2015, 03:18 AM   #7

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
Try the Toshiba FlashAir. Works fine for me in various Pentax bodies, as does the FluCard of course.
Hi JohnX, thanks for your answer.
I was considering the Toshiba's as it's much cheaper, but can you enable/disable the wifi from the camera ?

---------- Post added 12-02-15 at 11:20 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by stevebrot Quote
You might consider contacting Eye-Fi regarding compatibility...or perhaps simply consult their Web site:

Compatibility | Eyefi: Pentax K-50

Steve
Hi Stevebrot, thanks for your input.

I already had a look at their website but what bothers me with the EyeFi Mobi is that it automatically transfers ALL the photos, and I don't want that, just want to, for example, be able to get a nice shot of my daughter on my android to be able to share it quickly to my family.

---------- Post added 12-02-15 at 11:28 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by ppppsssstttt Quote
My understanding is that you can use any wifi card. The card itself will create its own wifi, even if your camera isn't "compatible", as long as there's enough power to the card, which usually there is. I use the EyeFi Mobi with my K5 and K-01, even though there isn't an Eye-Fi in the menu. As long as the power is on and not turned off by power save, the wifi signal should be created. Every once in a while, I have issues with finding the wifi, but powering the camera on and off a couple of times will usually fix it.

I think that there are three major EyeFis still on the market. The older EyeFi X2 Pro, EyeFi Mobi (non-pro), EyeFi Mobi Pro. I've only used the Mobi (non-pro) so I'm basing my judgement on that. To make things a little more confusing, there are are different apps in the app stores. I've only used this on the iPhone iOS, so again, your experience might be different. The two apps in the Google Play Store and Apple App Store are EyeFi (older application) and EyeFi Mobi.

I think the main difference between the regular Mobi and the X2 Pro or Mobi Pro is that only JPGs are transferred. I'd consider the Pro models only if I wanted to transfer RAW files through wifi.

The difference between the older X2 pro card and the Mobi (and Mobi Pro) cards are how the wifi is set up. The Mobi cards come with a special... card. It's a plastic card with a code, you enter it in the EyeFi Mobi app and a wifi profile is created. I think the X2 card is more manual setup.

The two apps are slightly different as well. The older EyeFi app will download any movies or JPGs automatically. I shoot in RAW, and when I want to share an image quickly, I'll use the in camera processing to create a JPG, open the EyeFi app and the new image will show up with all of the other images in my image gallery. In the description for the EyeFi (older) app, it says that if you use the Mobi card to use the Mobi app. However, I've found that once the initial wifi profile is set up through the EyeFi Mobi app, the older app will work with the Mobi card. I personally don't like to use the Mobi app because in order to save pictures, at least in iOS, it saves the picture to the app, then you have to tell the app to save the image to your gallery. It's an extra step that I didn't like. However, if you shoot JPGs and not RAW or if you shoot RAW+JPG, I'd use the Mobi app because it allows you to preview and choose which pictures to transfer.

I hope that helps and was not too confusing.
Hi Ppppsssstttt, and many thanks for this detailed answer !

That's not confusing at all, and conforts my position upon EyeFi cards : not for me ! I feel like this brand is trying to force through thanks to their dominant position on this market... Their products are very expensive and the difference between Mobi and Mobi Pro cards are just unfair to me. And their EyeFi cloud pirouette to get monthly cash feels almost indecent...

12-02-2015, 10:02 AM   #8

My k50 bundle came with a Mobi 4 FF, so I assume it works.
Have had it four months, and yet to activate it!
12-03-2015, 12:25 PM   #9
Pentaxian

From Toshiba's FAQ's;

The WLAN of the FlashAir™ is always started whenever it gets power from the camera. It may turn off when it is unused
after a time you can define in the settings of the card.

Alternatively you can configure the FlashAir™ to react on the status of a dedicated picture on the Card. This requires the camera to be able block/unblock pictures in the viewer screen. On every FlashAir™ SD Card sold in the market there is a pre-loaded small picture. If you use the camera menu and block this picture, the WLAN function of the FlashAir™ will turn off. If you unblock it again, the WLAN function will turn on again.

The card is managed via the app you'll need to download to the device(s) you'll be using with it.
12-04-2015, 06:28 AM   #10

QuoteOriginally posted by Alexis LEGROS Quote

<snippage>

That's not confusing at all, and conforts my position upon EyeFi cards : not for me ! I feel like this brand is trying to force through thanks to their dominant position on this market... Their products are very expensive and the difference between Mobi and Mobi Pro cards are just unfair to me. And their EyeFi cloud pirouette to get monthly cash feels almost indecent...
Yeah, that whole cloud thing smacked of monetization. I don't NEED cloud storage, I have plenty of storage on my PC. Also, these things called "backups" in case of future disc crashes and what-not.

I got a 4Gb Eye-Fi bundled with my k-50. I use it the same as I would use any SD card. I have the little plastic "activation" card, I just have no reason to want to "activate" that feature. If I want pictures on my data phone - which I don't - I have other ways to effect such a transfer via WiFi between my home PC network and the data phone. There's no reason to need or want to upload my private photos to a public "cloud".
12-04-2015, 06:54 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JohnX Quote
From Toshiba's FAQ's;

The WLAN of the FlashAir™ is always started whenever it gets power from the camera. It may turn off when it is unused
after a time you can define in the settings of the card.

Alternatively you can configure the FlashAir™ to react on the status of a dedicated picture on the Card. This requires the camera to be able block/unblock pictures in the viewer screen. On every FlashAir™ SD Card sold in the market there is a pre-loaded small picture. If you use the camera menu and block this picture, the WLAN function of the FlashAir™ will turn off. If you unblock it again, the WLAN function will turn on again.

The card is managed via the app you'll need to download to the device(s) you'll be using with it.
Thanks JohnX,

That's what I read too, and it really reads like what I need, definitely going with Toshiba on this matter.
I'll let you know how it went in a few weeks, thanks again for your inputs

Regards !
12-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Alexis LEGROS Quote
I already had a look at their website but what bothers me with the EyeFi Mobi is that it automatically transfers ALL the photos
Then the Mobi Pro might be your best option. It is compatible with the K-50 and allows for selective transfer. To find out how it works:

https://mobihelp.eyefi.com/hc/en-us/articles/204134144

Steve
12-24-2015, 03:05 PM   #13
Unregistered User

Can that thing be used to move data to/from a computer on my lan? Or is it only functional with a "cloud" account?
12-26-2015, 05:16 PM - 1 Like   #14

Although you may have chosen your card option, there is some confusion about the card and the K-50.

To answer your question, yes, you can choose which pictures to transfer using the K-50. Page 228 of the K-50 manual describes this feature. The K-50 has Eye-Fi brand specific options in the Set-up menu. When configured appropriately, you choose which pictures to transfer from the Playback menu when reviewing pictures.

I have the 4GB Eye-Fi Mobi (not the Pro version) card and have used this feature before to send pictures to my phone for a quick editing and then sharing.

Last edited by Hawkeye; 12-26-2015 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Added that I use it to send pictures to my phone.
02-19-2016, 03:42 AM   #15

Original Poster
Hi all ! :-)

I finally got myself the 32GB version of the Toshiba FlashAir W-03 and I have to say it works like a charm, just the way I expected !
No cloud or subscription here, only direct access to the photos located on the SD card.
The Android FlashAir app takes 3-5sec to connect to the card's WiFi and then downloads thumbnails in an acceptable timing. I can then browse images, find the one I want to download, quickly process it if required and share it the next second. Overall process from shot to share takes less than 2 minutes, processing included, and that's exactly what I was looking for.

The only drawbacks I can think of :
  • it disconnects my phone from my current WiFi until FlashAir app is closed but that's really minor to me, and there's a workaround if you need it for long shootings, didn't try it though ;
  • it drains little more battery than my regular SD card but that was expected. For longer use, it is possible to enable/disable WiFi directly from the camera by protecting/unprotecting a dedicated image on the card, cf. p9 ot the PDF FlashAir manual.

Didn't notice low transfer to the PC when inserted in the card reader to unload it, but I wasn't very focused on it ^^

Thanks again to all of you who answered here and helped me choosing the right stuff for my needs.
To the others looking forward to add WiFi ability to their stuff, please don't hesitate to ask any question, I'd be glad to help now
Alex.