Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 5 Likes Search this Thread
12-04-2015, 02:26 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Setting RAW file format as default???

I am rather new at digital and totally new to the K-50. I haven't been able to find an answer to this question. I realize that there is a button on the left hand side of the camera that allows one to soot in RAW mode. However, is there a way to setup the internal software to shoot in RAW as the default for one of the custom user settings? I work with Lightroom and I bought a DSLR solely because of it's ability to shoot RAW.
Thank you in advance for any guidance.

12-04-2015, 02:37 PM - 1 Like   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
It's on page 142 of the English manual "Setting a File Format". In the record menu (the camera icon) hit "Image Capture Settings" and change the file format to "RAW". There's also a note that you have to make sure to turn off "Digital Filter" and "HDR Capture" or you can't change it to raw.

Since you're committed to raw, you might want to reprogram the RAW/Fx button to do something you'll use (page 167 of the English manual).

(an electronic version of the manual can be found here Support?RICOH IMAGING CANADA)
12-04-2015, 02:39 PM - 1 Like   #3
Pentaxian

Yes. Its in the menu settings under image capture settings. There is an option for RAW only & RAW+ which takes a RAW & a large jpeg image at the same time. That is what I use. The RAW+ setting.

I think you can also access it from the info button menu.
12-04-2015, 04:27 PM - 1 Like   #4

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I second The Squirrel Mafia. I used to shoot RAW only, but you cannot share RAW easily and I ended up doing in-camera processing. So, RAW+ coupled with a big memory card is a good way to go for a beginner. Besides that, you can always save those occasional so-so RAW files for further computer processing (you'll be surprised what the Pentax Laboratory software can do to improve those so-so shots).

12-04-2015, 05:14 PM - 1 Like   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I also opt to use raw+, for the same reasons.

Unfortunately my backup body (*istDS) does not offer it.
So with this body I have to decide which to use; it will depend on the remaining space on the memory card.
06-10-2023, 06:42 AM   #6

I am reviving this thread. I’m using a K-50 and a 32gb SanDisk Extreme Plus SD card. In JPEG only I can store over 3300 shots on the card, much more than I could take at once right now. If I switched to RAW+, approximately how many shots would the card hold? If I’m going to shoot RAW+, would I be best advised to use a 128gb or larger card? Thanks.
06-21-2023, 01:13 AM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Bourbonieer Quote
I am reviving this thread. I’m using a K-50 and a 32gb SanDisk Extreme Plus SD card. In JPEG only I can store over 3300 shots on the card, much more than I could take at once right now. If I switched to RAW+, approximately how many shots would the card hold? If I’m going to shoot RAW+, would I be best advised to use a 128gb or larger card? Thanks.
P284 in the Operating Manual, available here Operation Manuals Download : Support & Service | RICOH IMAGING , has the approximate answers … to a degree it'll depend on what level of JPG compression you're wanting/needing.
File size will also vary to a degree depending on subject, so figures are only ever going to be approximate, but something in excess of 1,000 RAW+ images on a 32GB card would seem about right.

06-22-2023, 06:25 PM   #8

The RAW+ estimate on my formatted 32gb card is about 890. I thought that was a lot until I went out for an hour and shot 480 jpegs!

Last edited by Bourbonieer; 06-22-2023 at 07:25 PM.
06-24-2023, 07:52 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

This is one of the glories of Pentax, and one of the reasons I brag to my Canon owning friends that while their cameras are designed by engineers, my Pentaxes are designed by photographers.

If you take a JPEG photo, and after inspecting it is dissatisfied with it for some reason, you have two options: you can, as you yourself note, switch to raw with the RAW/FX button to take another photo, or you can push the EV button and save the data in the raw buffer as a RAW file.

The best of both worlds. You can have the large capacity of shooting in JPEG mode, and also have a RAW version of any photo you figure you might want to post process to improve it.

Personally, I shoot in RAW+ mode on 64Gb cards, but that is just me.