Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-09-2015, 05:39 PM   #1

Leather case for K-50 - retro????

I have a Pentax SLR from the 80s for which I bought a leather case that hooked on to the provided "ears" on the camera body and had a lens cover that snapped on to that. The lens cover came in different sizes for different lenses. Sort of like this:

(That is NOT my camera btw)

I can't seem to find anything like this for the K-50. Only the Q series. Do they not make them for the K-50?

What about carrying cases? I have the 18-55 zoom, and the 50-200mm zoom lenses. I would like a 28mm or thereabouts lens, but that doesn't seem affordable ATM. Both lenses are the WR lenses.

I have a Pentax AF 200 FG flash which I don't much care for and may replace with the Vivitar flash I bought for my film Pentax over 30 years ago. I'm DEFINITELY switching the straps, LOL! Anyway. I want the Pelican case for storage, not schlepping about. They have so many cases! But then I also want a schlepping about case and the one that came with the camera is pretty much useless.

So - any suggestions for a schlepping-about case, a case for the camera body (preferably with a lens mounted), and/or a Pelican for storage?

12-09-2015, 06:14 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

QuoteOriginally posted by Pyewacket Quote
Do they not make them for the K-50?
No, Pentax does not make a case to fit the K-50 or any other camera in their dSLR line. I don't believe any are available through third-party makers either.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pyewacket Quote
What about carrying cases? I have the 18-55 zoom, and the 50-200mm zoom lenses.
Pentax does not make cases specific to your two lenses, though there are third-party lens cases that will fit. If you have a local camera store, your best bet might be to take your lenses down and see what they have that might work. Alternatively, Web sites such as B&H have a good selection of cases along with descriptions that include the inside dimensions. As for gear bags, Pentax does make a nice bag that is sometimes bundled with the K-50 2-lens kit.

Pentax D-SLR Adventure Gadget Bag 85115 B&H Photo Video

Good luck!

Steve
12-09-2015, 06:40 PM   #3
Pentaxian

I'm on my phone, so won't be much help with links, photos, etc...

Steve is right, those leatherette eveready cases fell out of style, at least for DSLRs. They seem to be more popular for retro mirrorless models like the Fujis. My wife and I each have third party ones for our Q's and like them. Your best bet is probably just a small camera shoulder bag that fits the body/lens. I have a top-zip triangle shaped Pentax branded shoulder bag which fits a body with small to midsize zoom attached. Probably about as small as you can get and still be a bag and not a case.

Manual 28's can be had for a song, though maybe you mean AF lenses.

Side note: older flashes can have much higher trigger voltages which may harm your K-50. It might be fine, but user beware.
12-09-2015, 07:19 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
The closest thing that I know of to the old style leatherette SLR cases are ones made of neoprene and lycra by Miggo.

miggo Grip and Wrap for DSLR Cameras MW GW-SLR ZN 70 B&H Photo

In terms of bags, backpacks, or cases, it is fairly overwhelming. You just have to research it and if you're lucky, there's a decent enough camera store in your area where you can actually handle them. The good news is that there are a ton of options.