Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-13-2015, 01:59 PM   #1

Pin Connectivity

Hello, this is my first post. Just like talk radio, I am a long time listener, first time caller. Or in this case, a long time viewer, first time poster.

I purchased a lens from a friend that works perfectly on his Pentax DSLR Pentax K-10D however, it is not working correctly on my Pentax K-30., it will only work if I unlock it and turn it back a hair. Not sure why, but I do notice that 3 of the 5 little spring loaded contacts don't pop out as much as the other 2. The lens is a Sigma DG 70--300

Any ideas?

Thank you
Kirk

12-13-2015, 03:01 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
First thing to do would be to clean those contacts. If they are only lightly touching, anything that impedes the data transfer would cause a failure.
12-13-2015, 03:36 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
As noted above give the contacts a good cleaning, buff them with a microfiber cloth. Some third party lenses have mounts that are just a bit 'off'. In most cases there is no problem but rarely they can cause this issue.

Try cleaning the contacts first. If that does not work, double check that the mount on the lens is securely fastened. You might also slightly loosen the mount screws and try to rotate the mount a bit to see if you can align it better. But do that only if you feel comfortable working on a lens, and only loosen slightly do not remove the screws.
12-14-2015, 11:05 AM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
First thing to do would be to clean those contacts. If they are only lightly touching, anything that impedes the data transfer would cause a failure.
Yeah, that was the first thing I did, both on the lens and on the camera

Thanks

---------- Post added 12-14-15 at 12:10 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
As noted above give the contacts a good cleaning, buff them with a microfiber cloth. Some third party lenses have mounts that are just a bit 'off'. In most cases there is no problem but rarely they can cause this issue.

Try cleaning the contacts first. If that does not work, double check that the mount on the lens is securely fastened. You might also slightly loosen the mount screws and try to rotate the mount a bit to see if you can align it better. But do that only if you feel comfortable working on a lens, and only loosen slightly do not remove the screws.
Yeah, all is good there, I see two of the pins are depressed a bit so it must be the pin springs not allowing for the pins to make good contact with the camera pins. I have another Sigma 28-90 that I can steal some from, or I may just take them out and visit a locksmith to buy some springs of the same dimension.

Thanks

---------- Post added 12-14-15 at 12:12 PM ----------

Thanks to you both for the quick reply. much appreciated

Kirk