Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2015, 11:53 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K50D - set white balance

Hola all,

Been a long time since I was here.

My trusty k10d took a long drop from a first floor window when my my son dropped it so I've taken the opportunity to get a k50d (cost of repair not much cheaper than the upgrade).

We've been getting some stunning sunrises here and I want to go out and shoot them - I normally use a preset WB of shade to help warm them up a bit but for the life of me I can't get to the WB menu! Seems the firmware has become a lot more complicated in the intervening years.

The manual says go to to standby mode - but I can't work out how to get there. Pressing the WB button on the direction control just moves the focus-point down.

So this is probably a very dumb question - how do I access the WB presets?

I may follow this up later with a how do I set my own WB temp...but that can wait

Thnx

12-14-2015, 12:04 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Are you in LiveView? If so press the liveview button to go back to optical viewer and then press the button and see if that helps. I'm not at home right now so i can't give you exact info. If that doesn't work try pressing OK after the focus point tries to move to set it - then see if the wb button then works.
12-14-2015, 01:07 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Techno~ Quote
Hola all,

My trusty k10d took a long drop from a first floor window when my my son dropped it so I've taken the opportunity to get a k50d (cost of repair not much cheaper than the upgrade).

We've been getting some stunning sunrises here and I want to go out and shoot them - I normally use a preset WB of shade to help warm them up a bit but for the life of me I can't get to the WB menu! Seems the firmware has become a lot more complicated in the intervening years.

The manual says go to to standby mode - but I can't work out how to get there. Pressing the WB button on the direction control just moves the focus-point down.

I may follow this up later with a how do I set my own WB temp...but that can wait

Thnx
The 4way control on the K50 is multifunctional sound like you are in the focus point selection mode. To get the four functions printed on the buttons you have to hold the "OK" button down until it beeps then you can use the four buttons to get the WB, ISO, etc.
Good luck
12-14-2015, 02:01 PM   #4
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Techno~ Quote
Hola all,

Thnx
What martym said. Holding down the ok button and then pressing the WB button should do the trick

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-15-2015, 12:07 AM   #5

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thank you! Feel like such a newb with such a simple solution!