Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 1 Like Search this Thread
12-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #1

How do you change Aspect Ratio on K-30?

Surely the K-30 has more than one Aspect Ratio available? I just noticed the LCD image does not fill the area. There are black bars at the top and bottom. I have searched the Menus and Manual with no results that I can find. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks...Dan

12-25-2015, 07:52 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Afaik, You can not change the aspect ratio on a K30 or for that matter any of the Pentax DSLR's.

Maybe what you are wanting to do when you are reviewing photos you have taken in camera is zoom the photo. I believe all you need to do is while looking at a photo on the LCD screen is to move the rear dial on the camera.
12-25-2015, 08:25 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by HuddyBoy Quote
Surely the K-30 has more than one Aspect Ratio available? I just noticed the LCD image does not fill the area. There are black bars at the top and bottom. I have searched the Menus and Manual with no results that I can find. Can anyone point me in the right direction? Thanks...Dan
That's because the sensor captures the image in 3:2, but the screen has a 4:3 aspect. You cannot change the image aspect ratio, so there's no way to get rid of the black bars.

However, the K-3, K-3 II, K-S2, and K-S1 all have redesigned 3:2 screens, so playback / live view looks a lot nicer on those cameras. Here's a comparison of the K-5 and K-3; notice how there's no black bar below the image on the K-3:

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
12-26-2015, 10:16 AM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

On a slightly/completely different topic, i've heard the k-30 has "select-area expansion function for enhanced tracking of moving subjects" - where is this and how do I find it? Manual pg. number is good enough. I've used the k-30 for two years and didn't know this was a thing.

12-26-2015, 10:24 AM - 1 Like   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
On a slightly/completely different topic, i've heard the k-30 has "select-area expansion function for enhanced tracking of moving subjects" - where is this and how do I find it? Manual pg. number is good enough. I've used the k-30 for two years and didn't know this was a thing.
Page 103

QuoteQuote:
When [Expanded Area AF] in [AF Settings] of the [A Rec. Mode 2] menu is enabled, if your subject briefly moves out from the focus point that was selected when the focus mode was set to k (or when [AF.A] was enabled), the camera will continue to focus on your subject based on information from the focus points (back-up focus points) surrounding the selected focus point. The back-up focus points are displayed in pink on the status screen.
I believe it only works when you are using Select AF point.
12-26-2015, 10:26 AM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by boriscleto Quote
Page 103

I believe it only works when you are using Select AF point.
how good is this for birding?
12-26-2015, 11:32 AM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
how good is this for birding?
No idea, I don't have a K-30. Just looked up the manual online and did a search...

12-26-2015, 07:56 PM   #8

Original Poster
So all think the K-30 can only produce one Aspect Ratio. I can now quite trying to change it. I thought with some Canon cameras more than one AR was available. Maby to do that would be confusing to the penta prism viewer. My others were point and shoot. Thanks all for settling the issue....Dan
12-26-2015, 09:52 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by HuddyBoy Quote
So all think the K-30 can only produce one Aspect Ratio. I can now quite trying to change it. I thought with some Canon cameras more than one AR was available. Maby to do that would be confusing to the penta prism viewer. My others were point and shoot. Thanks all for settling the issue....Dan

I don't think that the aspect ratio has anything to do with the prism and the view finder. As Adam said the sensor is 3:2 but the LED screen is 4:3 (or was 4:3). When you are looking through the viewfinder, you are looking at a mirror that is reflecting the image from the lens. If you go to live view and look at the LCD screen, the image on the screen is straight from the sensor. Now, because the LCD screen is not the same ratio as the sensor, you will get an area that does not have a picture on it (letterbox) just like watching a widescreen movie from a DVD on a square screen TV. Pentax changed the LCD screen on the K3's and the K5's so that the ratio between the LCD and the sensor matched.

It could be possible that you can change the ratio on some Canon DSLR, but I wouldn't know about that because I have never owned a Canon DSLR. My guess would be, if you can, it would be the full frames like the 5d that has that feature.
12-27-2015, 10:29 AM   #10
Veteran Member

APS Film cameras offered cropping to different aspect ratios. I recommend the Nikon Pronea 6i.

I don't know of any APSc digital cameras that offer in-camera cropping for different aspect ratios.
12-27-2015, 02:34 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by AquaDome Quote
APS Film cameras offered cropping to different aspect ratios. I recommend the Nikon Pronea 6i.

I don't know of any APSc digital cameras that offer in-camera cropping for different aspect ratios.
Some do but it might be a case of only offering different aspect ratios in live view mode. The K-01 offered multiple aspect ratios but it obviously only has live view mode.
12-27-2015, 03:23 PM   #12
Forum Member

If it is for filming, you maybe can do like a friend of mine did when shooting short-film: hook your device to a TV, put some ducktape on the screen where the black bars should be (so you only see what you wanna see), and then add the real lines in post-prod. 10/10 confirmed that works great