Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 07:42 AM   #1

Pentax k-30 exposure problem

Hello guys,

I went through the forum before posting. I read something about a possible exposure problem (hardware?) on pentax k-30 but I couldn't focus the exact problem.
That's why I'm here.
I've been having a pentax k-30 since December 2013. Warranty has just expired I guess. I owned a Pentax k-10 too.

Since the last summer I noticed an issue that has become systematic. Exposure work really bad. I tried with one lens (Tamron 18-250) and pictures seem to be always heavy underexposed. (about 8.-12 stops).
On the contrary, using another lens (Pentax da-35mm f2.4), pictures seem to be very overexposed (about 8-12 stops).
I have used these lenses on both k-10 and k-30 without any issue until now.
This is the first heavy problem I'm facing on a pentax since 2005.

I have tried different things:

- Cleaning to electric contacts both on lenses and camera;
- Shooting raw or jpeg;
- Shooting completely auto, tv ,av;
- Shooting in sunny or dark environment;
- Updating firmware to 1.06 (latest);
- Reset camera settings;

Obviously, I didn't use any constraint on ISO settings (100-12800).

I'd like to ask you: what do you suggest? Could it be an hardware issue? Shall I send it to pentax staff?

Thank you very much.
Andrea

01-06-2016, 08:50 AM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would try contacting Pentax with photos that show the problem existed this summer and perhaps you can get help.

For additional diagnosis you could try an m42 lens which operates in stopped down mode and has no interaction with the aperture control of the camera. If shots on the m42 lenses look fine and those on normal open aperture lenses that stop down at photo time (k, m, a, fa, da etc) then you probably have the problem.
01-06-2016, 10:24 AM   #3

Sorry to hear this. Just when we recently concluded that this problem was isolated and sporadic, we've seen several posts on this in the last few days. The K-50 shares the same mechanism as the K-30. The problem is sowing the seed of doubt for those of us who haven't had this problem (yet..). Hope you can identify a solution soon, probably by sending ti the Pentax authorized repair center in your country, now that it is out of warranty.
01-07-2016, 02:28 AM   #4

Original Poster
The misfortune is that the problem began randomly, but now it's systematic.I have some doubts that it could be a mechanical issue.
The weird thing is that using one lens (da 35mm), pictures are always heavy overexposed, and using tamron 18-250 pictures are always heavily underexposed.
As you suggested, I will search my old M 50 mm lens (aperture control on the lens) and try a new test.

Then I will try to contact Pentax, but I'm afraid about the repairing costs.

01-07-2016, 07:02 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by androjoker Quote
The misfortune is that the problem began randomly, but now it's systematic.I have some doubts that it could be a mechanical issue.
The weird thing is that using one lens (da 35mm), pictures are always heavy overexposed, and using tamron 18-250 pictures are always heavily underexposed.
As you suggested, I will search my old M 50 mm lens (aperture control on the lens) and try a new test.

Then I will try to contact Pentax, but I'm afraid about the repairing costs.
Aperture control might not be enough, the lever still gets pushed by the body. If that motor isn't pushing it all the way open consistently you could still get overexposed results. However I would try it. You could I think partially dismount the lens to make it close the aperture, then shoot in Av mode like you would an m42 lens (stopped down metering) just be very careful to avoid dismounting the lens.
01-07-2016, 08:24 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by UncleVanya Quote
Aperture control might not be enough, the lever still gets pushed by the body. If that motor isn't pushing it all the way open consistently you could still get overexposed results. However I would try it. You could I think partially dismount the lens to make it close the aperture, then shoot in Av mode like you would an m42 lens (stopped down metering) just be very careful to avoid dismounting the lens.
Well, I'm not so confident about dismounting the lens I could make the damage worse.

I will do some other tests, but after reading people experiences with Pentax assistance (here in Italy at least), maybe I'd better buy a new one. The risk is about spending 100/200 euros and still have the damage.