Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2016, 10:19 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Figures....

Camera goes out of warranty, fewer than 5k shots, and now the aperture issue is starting to rear its ugly head. I bought my K-50 prior to the 2 year warranty deal. Between repair cost and nightmare stories about precision, I figure I'll just start saving for a K-3/3II.

01-06-2016, 11:54 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter

Did you use a credit card when you bought it? If so, check your cardholder agreement. Many cards offer a warranty extension benefit.
01-07-2016, 08:25 AM   #3

What is your problem exactly? By chance have you read my thread? Could it be the same issue?
01-07-2016, 08:46 AM   #4
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
I figure I'll just start saving for a K-3/3II.
If you can afford it, it works out in the end

Sorry to hear your issue, I hope my K-50 doesn't commit suicide anytime soon.

01-07-2016, 08:25 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
It's the oddest thing... it doesn't want to use the aperture, but if I work at it enough it starts working again and will be fine until it's been powered down and sat for a while. Maybe a gear that slips on the spindle intermittently or something. As for using a credit card, I used my bank card as credit, but it's not a cc. I don't own one of those. A real shame... I definitely like the K-50. Fortunately the issue isn't something that will completely render the camera useless. All but one of my lenses has a manual aperture, so if I do end up buying a new camera, the other one will get relegated to purely manual shooting. All the lens apertures seem to be fine, not sticky or stuck, so definitely an issue with the camera body itself. Could be the aperture controller chip on the board, rather than a physical issue with the gears/motor. No way to entirely tell without being able to tear it apart or sending it in for service OOW that would cost most of what it would take to replace it.

I'm just glad the other functions of the camera seem to be in working order, and it's something I can work around. Albeit I won't be able to use the kit 18-55 manually since it has no aperture ring.

---------- Post added 01-07-16 at 10:29 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by androjoker Quote
What is your problem exactly? By chance have you read my thread? Could it be the same issue?
No, definitely not the problem you're experiencing. My issue is purely with the aperture. It always underexposes until I can get the camera to start opening aperture. If I use manual aperture, everything works fine. I definitely don't have an issue with overexposure. Your issue seems like poor communication between the camera body and the lens, maybe an onboard controller gone bad, or something to do with the connections. It could even be a software glitch. Try updating the firmware of the camera first and then troubleshooting from there in your case.