Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2016, 03:00 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Max write speed of K-30?

Hey guys, i've been looking around the webs and forums for quite a while, and I haven't been able to find any reference to the max write speed of the K-30. No need to get an SD card that is completely overkill for the camera!

Hoping someone here would know and can enlighten me

thanks in advance!

01-10-2016, 03:21 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I've used some fast SD cards, and it seems like you still find yourself waiting for several seconds after a burst or RAW shots.
01-10-2016, 03:22 PM   #3
Administrator
Site Webmaster

The max speed is around 30 Mb/s. Any Sandisk Extreme card should deliver optimal performance.

However, it doesn't hurt to get the fastest memory cards currently available (i.e. Sandisk Extreme Pro), since they're not that much more expensive, and they'll prepare you for future bodies. The K-3 and K-S1/2 can leverage UHS-I speeds and thus go up to the maximum speed labeled on the card.

The only thing to avoid (at least for now) are UHS-II cards. Those are the ones advertised to have a write speed in excess of 200Mb/s. These speeds are accomplished through a second row of data pins, and you won't be able to take advantage of them unless you also have a card reader and a body with that second row of pins.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #4
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
since they're not that much more expensive
They're less expensive than the extreme plus cards, but I think they are newer, with some built in corruption protection. Important or no?

01-10-2016, 03:57 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
They're less expensive than the extreme plus cards, but I think they are newer, with some built in corruption protection. Important or no?
Extreme pro is the highest quality offered by sandisk, though all extreme cards come with lifetime limited warranties.

As for corruption protection, you'll get it with just about any reputable card since that's handled "under the hood".

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
01-10-2016, 06:36 PM   #6
Imp
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Imp Quote
Whoops, to clarify:
Extreme is 40 write 90 read
Extreme plus is 60 write 90 read
Extreme pro is 90 write 95 read

Both the Extreme and Extreme plus are newer than the Extreme pro, and seem to have a newer anti-corruption coding? I'm just wondering whether the Plus is good enough since the K-30 is only 30mbps write, and it is a newer chip, but it is more expensive...
01-10-2016, 09:58 PM   #7
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I just looked at the cards in my K3 and I have two Extreme Pro cards rated at 95 mb/sec. I still wait for the buffer, but I don't worry about it. Little flickering orange lights on the back of my camera have never bothered me, and the one on the K10 flickered for a lot longer time.

01-15-2016, 12:41 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
T
The only thing to avoid (at least for now) are UHS-II cards. Those are the ones advertised to have a write speed in excess of 200Mb/s. These speeds are accomplished through a second row of data pins, and you won't be able to take advantage of them unless you also have a card reader and a body with that second row of pins.
I was using a UHS-II card in my K-30 before both got lost. It worked fine. The camera itself did not take advantage of the extra speed, of course.

However, the UHS-II card, in a UHS-II USB 3.0 reader, came in very handy when time came to transfer files to the PC, especially for video files.
02-09-2016, 10:31 AM   #9
Forum Member

I've had good results with Toshiba Exceria type 1 cards. They also have a write speed of about 90Mbps. I got them originally to help my slow Finepix HS30EXR keep up with burst shots. Still lagged a bit, but using them in the K50 I've had no issues. I suspect the write speed of the K50 is pretty reasonable, as I've never had any noticeable delays in writing to the cards i've used.
02-09-2016, 06:00 PM   #10

I recently picked up the Samsung Pro+ card which features 95/90MBps speeds and carries a 10-year warranty. The card can be submerged in saltwater for up to 72 hours.

Samsung makes the best flash memory available. You can find the 32GB card from a number of reputable sellers for $25.