Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2016, 10:13 PM   #1

K-30 Lens Setting Issue

To all, this may be mute in that I have a bad camera setting but when I put on my Tamron 28-105 lens and put it in the A setting, the only dial setting my camera seems to recognize is AV. I've tried AF/AF.C, even manual and no affect. It auto focuses fine. But regardless of what dial setting I put it in the camera says AV. I put the kit lens on and it works fine. I have the camera set to RAW. Would that have any thing to do with it? Is this a lens issue or something else? I'm sure this has been addressed before but couldn't find anything referencing it. I have the enable setting set to enable as well. Other than that I don't know what I may have changed that could be causing this or if this is just normal. Any advice will be appreciated. Thanks ahead of time.

01-28-2016, 10:48 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Not sure I can answer but some information that might help. First, if this is an 'A' lens and in the 'A' setting then having the "enable aperture ring" option set does not matter. That is only for non-'A' lenses.

Second, yes It would seem to be a lens issue as your other lens works fine. If you have any other lenses that you could use as a test that might help eliminate something. Maybe locate someone near you with a lens you could use to test.

The behavior of always being in Av with this lens is indicative of the lens not communicating with the camera. What does your aperture indicator say? The correct aperture or "F _ _"? Make sure the lens is indeed in the 'A' setting position. Take the lens off and check the contacts, you should have at least one and it should be correctly positioned. Try cleaning the contacts (or contact) with a clean micro-fiber cloth. Just buff it a bit until it is shiny.

If that does not help report back. You might also check the lens database for your exact lens, that might help if someone here is familiar with the lens. Unfortunately I am not and can only give general suggestions.
01-29-2016, 07:40 AM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jatrax Quote
Not sure I can answer but some information that might help. First, if this is an 'A' lens and in the 'A' setting then having the "enable aperture ring" option set does not matter. That is only for non-'A' lenses.

Second, yes It would seem to be a lens issue as your other lens works fine. If you have any other lenses that you could use as a test that might help eliminate something. Maybe locate someone near you with a lens you could use to test.

The behavior of always being in Av with this lens is indicative of the lens not communicating with the camera. What does your aperture indicator say? The correct aperture or "F _ _"? Make sure the lens is indeed in the 'A' setting position. Take the lens off and check the contacts, you should have at least one and it should be correctly positioned. Try cleaning the contacts (or contact) with a clean micro-fiber cloth. Just buff it a bit until it is shiny.

If that does not help report back. You might also check the lens database for your exact lens, that might help if someone here is familiar with the lens. Unfortunately I am not and can only give general suggestions.
Thanks. I'll try your suggestions and hopefully that will take care of it. I like that lens a lot so just want to know if it's working right or not. Again, thanks and good picture taking.