Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-30-2016, 05:11 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
K-30 focusing issues

I did a quick search of the forums, but I may have missed this. Has anyone been having autofocus issues with their K-30? It just started for me while shooting with my 35mm Limited. It almost grinds against itself while focusing, and quickshift receive a crazy amount of resistantance. Setting it to manual focus works fine, but...

I uncoupled the lens and the camera and re-attached them, still happening. Tried the 35mm on my K-x: no issues. Swapped the 35 for my 40 on the K-30, no issues. Finally, I swapped back my 35 to the K-30, and it's working again. Definitely going to be a lot more wary of focusing in the future. Has anyone else had this issue?

Last edited by lithedreamer; 01-30-2016 at 05:17 PM.
01-30-2016, 05:35 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Sounds more like a lens issue than a camera issue. Quick shift should not have any resistance, except while the camera is focusing. Maybe you had some dust or dirt in the lens that fell out? Might also be a loose screw or part internally. I had a lens that would work fine as long as it was held in horizontal. But if turned the camera to vertical (portrait) it would not work. Turns out there was a small extra piece of loose plastic inside that was moving around. Removed it and the lens works fine now.

Note: I do not suggest you open your 35mm Limited to check for loose parts.
04-11-2016, 02:37 AM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by lithedreamer Quote
I did a quick search of the forums, but I may have missed this. Has anyone been having autofocus issues with their K-30? It just started for me while shooting with my 35mm Limited. It almost grinds against itself while focusing, and quickshift receive a crazy amount of resistantance. Setting it to manual focus works fine, but...

I uncoupled the lens and the camera and re-attached them, still happening. Tried the 35mm on my K-x: no issues. Swapped the 35 for my 40 on the K-30, no issues. Finally, I swapped back my 35 to the K-30, and it's working again. Definitely going to be a lot more wary of focusing in the future. Has anyone else had this issue?
Had this exact same problem 6 months after I got the camera but only in dark lighting. Eventually, it became a problem in any lighting. A month or two ago, I fixed it by hitting the AE-L button. Unfortunately, now my camera focuses fine but ALL my photos come out nearly pitch black. Get rid of this camera while you can!
04-11-2016, 02:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I never use auto focus.