Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 11:26 AM - 3 Likes   #1

Loving it!

For Christmas, I bought myself a Pentax K-50 with 18-55 kit lens. My previous camera was my smart phone, so not too shocking that I am getting better results with the Pentax. I will be posting some of the result of a nature walk here soon. The ability to zoom in, to manual focus...I have so much more control over my picture taking.

I am now slowly taking steps into deeper photographic waters and placed an order to B&H for a 52mm Neutral Density (NDX8) 0.9 Filter and RS-C1II Wired Remote Switch for Select Cameras with 2.5mm Su so I can experiment with long exposures. My goal is to achieve that dreamy effect I have seen of water falls. I have also read in at least one article that fast moving objects essentially become invisible, and you can take a picture of a city street and have a pic with no people or cars on it.

I sense that this hobby might end up costing me more money in the future.

02-01-2016, 12:57 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Congrats on your new camera, and its great to hear you're enjoying it .... To be honest, we seem to more often hear that people get worse results from their first DSLR than they did with their phones !!

You're right that with long exposures then objects moving through the scene will not record if they do not hang around for long. Not sure on the exact figures for this, but I think people walking through a 30sec exposure at night would not record. If they pause or are slow then you can get ghost-like effects (called 'ghosting') with blur. Bright lights like cars will cause the classic 'light-trails' effect.

Did you check on the need for that cable specifically ? The remote controls for the K7/K5/K3 can operate the shutter for long exposures, and are handy with no cable, but I'm not sure if the K50 has the remote control option ... ?
02-01-2016, 01:16 PM   #3

Original Poster
That wired shutter release specifically listed the K-50 as a compatible model. It was cheaper than the wireless model. For my basic experiments, a wired connector is fine. I use a wired shutter release with my Holga 120N with sufficient results, as well.
02-01-2016, 01:48 PM   #4

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by ngarrang Quote
That wired shutter release specifically listed the K-50 as a compatible model. It was cheaper than the wireless model. For my basic experiments, a wired connector is fine. I use a wired shutter release with my Holga 120N with sufficient results, as well.
I have a wired remote I bought for my K110D and it also works on my K-5. The k-5 comes with a IR sensor on front and back, so a IR remote would be more useful on this compared to the K110D

I'd like to hear what you find out trying your slow speed shots. Sounds interesting. Post your tests, we want to see them.

02-01-2016, 02:21 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Wired remote is better for your purposes. The wireless operates using IR and I believe you have to point it at the front of the camera.
02-01-2016, 02:38 PM   #6
Pentaxian

The K7 / K5 / K3 series have sensors on the back and front, so very handy both for traditional landscape shooting from behind, as well as 'selfie' type shots when you want to be in the shot ... just close the hand around the remote leaving a little gap and put your hand some inconspicuous! As I said earlier, I'm not sure of the remote capabilities on the K50 ....
02-01-2016, 06:11 PM   #7

Hey, wireless (IR) remote users -- do you get a "spot" on your picture (from the LED) if you aim it at the front of the camera? Actually, come to think of it, I should ask you how this works without you being in the picture while surreptitiously trying to aim the remote at the camera.
02-01-2016, 06:14 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by fredralphfred Quote
Actually, come to think of it, I should ask you how this works without you being in the picture while surreptitiously trying to aim the remote at the camera.
You can use the wireless remote with the 2 second timer.

02-01-2016, 06:21 PM   #9
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by mcgregni Quote
I'm not sure of the remote capabilities on the K50 ....
2.5mm jack wired and IR only 1 IR sensor on the front a back one would be very useful.
02-02-2016, 01:21 AM   #10
Site Supporter

A tip from a fellow newbie. Don't waste your money on a cheap tripod. It won't be able to stabilize the k50. Lots of shake and the head will be too weak.
02-02-2016, 05:57 AM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
A tip from a fellow newbie. Don't waste your money on a cheap tripod. It won't be able to stabilize the k50. Lots of shake and the head will be too weak.

When I bought the camera from B&H, I also bought a new tripod. It is not top of the line, but it is seems quite stable. It is definite step up from the flimsy aluminum tripod I use with my smartphone. For my smartphone, I have a remote shutter button, but the lightness of the smartphone means the cheapy tripod works just fine. I can also use it as a selfie stick or for dangerous shots. I used in mono-pod-held mode, as I refer to it, to take pictures of bird nests that I could not otherwise reach, and in dark holes that I would never want to stick my hand.
02-02-2016, 02:39 PM   #12
Pentaxian

I sense that this hobby might end up costing me more money in the future.
Yes indeed! You'll want to get some wide glass, long glass, fast glass, limited glass, & all other kinds of glass. Then you get to a point where you'll want to get another body too.
02-02-2016, 03:22 PM   #13
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by The Squirrel Mafia Quote
Yes indeed! You'll want to get some wide glass, long glass, fast glass, limited glass, & all other kinds of glass. Then you get to a point where you'll want to get another body too.
You'll get into a situation where you realize you need a lens for 1 thing and 1 thing only and then obsess about getting that lens. Lol.
02-02-2016, 03:33 PM   #14
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
That depends very much on the conditions (wind etc.). I have a very good quality Giottos tripod that I generally use... However, I also have a very cheap aluminium tripod (I paid 10 from a store here in the UK) that is perfectly useable when the weather conditions are stable. I've taken many good shots with the K5 using that cheap tripod (which is a lot more stable than me hand-holding the camera!!). It's all down to your expectations and using the appropriate piece of equipment at the appropriate time...
02-02-2016, 05:29 PM   #15
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
That depends very much on the conditions (wind etc.). I have a very good quality Giottos tripod that I generally use... However, I also have a very cheap aluminium tripod (I paid 10 from a store here in the UK) that is perfectly useable when the weather conditions are stable. I've taken many good shots with the K5 using that cheap tripod (which is a lot more stable than me hand-holding the camera!!). It's all down to your expectations and using the appropriate piece of equipment at the appropriate time...
Absolutely. You can still take great pictures with cheap tripod. But I was really blown away with the quality of the $100+ tripods. It's a case of you really do get what you pay for. I've relegated my cheap tripod for iPhone video taking.