Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-01-2016, 01:00 PM   #1

K 30 Monitor/Display Brightness

I have a question regarding the monitor/display on my K 30. After taking a photo, I generally immediately look at it on the monitor to see if it looks properly exposed. (I know viewing the histogram is a better way to check the exposure.) I have taken many images using primarily aperture priority mode which appeared to be properly exposed by looking at the camera monitor, but once downloaded are very underexposed. My computer monitor has been adjusted, so I believe it is fairly accurate. I previously used a Pentax Kr and Pentax K-7 and I don't recall having this problem using them. At first, I thought there might be a problem with the exposure readings of the camera. However, now I believe it may be that the monitor simply is way too bright to give any idea of what the image will look like on a decent monitor. I discovered that you can diminish the brightness of the monitor in one of the menu settings. I diminished the brightness as much as possible, but the image still looks brighter than on my computer screen. Has anyone else had this issue? Does it sound like I need to have the camera checked? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.

02-01-2016, 01:28 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jwcjrccc Quote
I have a question regarding the monitor/display on my K 30. After taking a photo, I generally immediately look at it on the monitor to see if it looks properly exposed. (I know viewing the histogram is a better way to check the exposure.) I have taken many images using primarily aperture priority mode which appeared to be properly exposed by looking at the camera monitor, but once downloaded are very underexposed. My computer monitor has been adjusted, so I believe it is fairly accurate. I previously used a Pentax Kr and Pentax K-7 and I don't recall having this problem using them. At first, I thought there might be a problem with the exposure readings of the camera. However, now I believe it may be that the monitor simply is way too bright to give any idea of what the image will look like on a decent monitor. I discovered that you can diminish the brightness of the monitor in one of the menu settings. I diminished the brightness as much as possible, but the image still looks brighter than on my computer screen. Has anyone else had this issue? Does it sound like I need to have the camera checked? Thanks for any comments or suggestions.
As you said, use the histogram. Although, both the histogram and the image on the display are based off the jpeg preview and do not accurately represent the RAW data. A DNG or PEF image will be darker, less contrasty, less saturated, less sharp...because they do not have the luxury of being developed yet.
02-01-2016, 01:29 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Post a photo with the exif data intact please. Have you tried viewing the photos on a different monitor from the one you normally use? (Just to make sure it's not the monitor?)
02-01-2016, 02:39 PM   #4

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by enoeske Quote
As you said, use the histogram. Although, both the histogram and the image on the display are based off the jpeg preview and do not accurately represent the RAW data. A DNG or PEF image will be darker, less contrasty, less saturated, less sharp...because they do not have the luxury of being developed yet.
The jpeg image is much darker on the computer monitor than the jpeg preview on the K 30 display. Shouldn't the jpeg preview on the camera monitor look similar in terms of brightness as the jpeg on the computer monitor. As I mentioned, my computer monitor has been calibrated and I think it is pretty accurate. I didn't have this issue with the Kr or K 7. In other words, a jpeg preview on the Kr and K 7 looked fairly close to the jpeg on the computer monitor. Perhaps the display on my K 30 simply is much too bright.

02-01-2016, 03:35 PM   #5

My K 30 also showed much brighter on the camera than on my monitor.I think the K 30 brightness is set to make it easy to view in bright daylight by default so i quickly learned to use the histogram.
02-01-2016, 07:19 PM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
Post a photo with the exif data intact please. Have you tried viewing the photos on a different monitor from the one you normally use? (Just to make sure it's not the monitor?)
I have uploaded a photo which shows what I writing about. When I took the photo, the LCD Display Brightness Level was set in the middle. On the camera display, it did show the areas on the left and right to be moderately under exposed. However, the area in the middle appeared very bright, and the building in the middle appeared almost white and almost over exposed. The same jpeg image displayed on my computer monitor appears much darker. On my computer, the building does not look white, but rather beige. Changing the brightness level so that it is all the way to the left makes the image closer to how it looks on my monitor. I suppose I need to realize that I can't rely on the camera screen to judge whether the image has been correctly exposed.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by jwcjrccc; 02-01-2016 at 07:24 PM.
02-01-2016, 07:48 PM   #7

Right.Use the histogram to judge your exposure.Again the screen is just for quick review and the brightness is set for easy viewing and not for judging exposure.
02-02-2016, 11:32 AM   #8

Original Poster
Thank you for your replies

Thank you for your replies. I compared the camera's histogram with the one in Lightroom and it appears to be accurate. I do think that my K 30 is underexposing images. Since I was mainly shooting in aperture priority and without exposure compensation, I believe the K 30 underexposed a great number of images. I have read that the K 30 tends to underexpose images. I also use compact system cameras with electronic viewfinders and the screens on those cameras give a good idea of the exposure of the image. If I want to use the K 30, I will have to become more adept at using the histogram.

02-02-2016, 01:11 PM   #9
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jwcjrccc Quote
I have uploaded a photo which shows what I writing about. When I took the photo, the LCD Display Brightness Level was set in the middle. On the camera display, it did show the areas on the left and right to be moderately under exposed. However, the area in the middle appeared very bright, and the building in the middle appeared almost white and almost over exposed. The same jpeg image displayed on my computer monitor appears much darker. On my computer, the building does not look white, but rather beige. Changing the brightness level so that it is all the way to the left makes the image closer to how it looks on my monitor. I suppose I need to realize that I can't rely on the camera screen to judge whether the image has been correctly exposed.
This image of yours does appear to be underexposed. It's of course difficult for the camera when dealing with a large bright object in the centre of the photo, to compensate for that, to get the shady foreground right. In terms of digital photos, slight underexposure is easier to deal with that overexposure. Overexposure simply leaves blown out sections of the image, while underexposed areas can be worked on. A quick play in photoshop is attached - I suspect this is more what you would like to see.
Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
02-02-2016, 07:08 PM   #10

Original Poster
K 30 Display

QuoteOriginally posted by MarkJerling Quote
This image of yours does appear to be underexposed. It's of course difficult for the camera when dealing with a large bright object in the centre of the photo, to compensate for that, to get the shady foreground right. In terms of digital photos, slight underexposure is easier to deal with that overexposure. Overexposure simply leaves blown out sections of the image, while underexposed areas can be worked on. A quick play in photoshop is attached - I suspect this is more what you would like to see.
Yes, you are correct on all counts. The image on the K 30 display looked close to how you have modified it.