Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
K-30&k-50 firmware

I had a K-30 which i used for over a year and a half with no issue and a problem came up and i'm wondering now if others have seen the same behavior from the K-30 or K-50.In the K-30 i had set the rear e-dial to control aperture and front e-dial to control exposure while in AV mode and this displayed the EV graph,bar,meter or whatever it is called in the lower center of the viewfinder and when the front e-dial is turned it moved right or left indicating whether it was positive exposure or negative exposure and how much.Well all of a sudden the exposure value was not being displayed properly in the viewfinder,when i rolled the front e-dial the +/- symbol would light showing exposure compensation was applied but the indicator that shows whether it is + or - and by how much just stays in the center showing zero but looking at the LCD display it shows it is moving up and down by 1/3 EV with every click.I sent the camera to Precision 4 times for repair of this problem and it still existed so Ricoh/Pentax replaced the K-30 with a K-50 since it was under warranty and i again set the front e-dial to control the EV in AV mode and after i installed the latest firmware i began checking the focus with some of my lenses and the K-50 just stops showing the EV in the viewfinder exactly like the K-30 did.Now i'm thinking this is a firmware issue and it began in the K-30 after the last firmware update was applied to the camera but can't say for sure since i don't remember the date.Surely this has happened to someone other than just me?I'm thinking the K-30 and K-50 are so much alike they also share nearly the same firmware?What are the odds that the two camera would have the exact same malfunction?

02-19-2016, 09:50 PM - 1 Like   #2
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The EV scale will only be shown when the light meter is active. It will automatically turns itself off after a preset time (see the "meter operating time" menu setting). You can increase the duration of that setting to make things more convenient, and if the meter does go offline, simply half-press the shutter button and it should come back to life

Also, if you have the electronic level display enabled in the viewfinder, this permanently overrides the EV scale, so you would have to turn off the level to get the behavior you want.

Hope this helps. To me it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the camera.

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com's high server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover those costs by donating. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:

02-20-2016, 10:40 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Adam Quote
The EV scale will only be shown when the light meter is active. It will automatically turns itself off after a preset time (see the "meter operating time" menu setting). You can increase the duration of that setting to make things more convenient, and if the meter does go offline, simply half-press the shutter button and it should come back to life

Also, if you have the electronic level display enabled in the viewfinder, this permanently overrides the EV scale, so you would have to turn off the level to get the behavior you want.

Hope this helps. To me it doesn't sound like there's anything wrong with the camera.
I didn't know that about my K-50. Now I understand why sometimes I get confused haha. Thanks!