Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-26-2016, 08:52 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Hilight Correction/ Shadow Correction on K-50/K-30?

I must confess, I'm not sure what the Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction feature actually does on my K-50 & K-30. I've read the user's manual (pg. 148), but either it's somewhat vague.... or more than likely, I'm just very dense.

Not being quite sure where to set it, I've chosen to leave both set on "auto."

If I'm correct in my understanding, it allows the camera to make automatic adjustments which will allow the camera to pick up details in deep shadows and extreme highlights. Am I correct?

If not, can anyone please explain this function in terms that a retired carpenter can understand without using a lot of acronyms?

What does the "Contrast AF Select" feature do on the K-50 / K-30? I've read the user's manual (pg. 104) concerning this feature, and if I'm understanding it correctly, it only pertains when using live view. Although I seldom use live view, where would you suggest I have it set at?

Thanks so much for your expertise and knowledge. I appreciate it.

02-26-2016, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Dewman Quote
I must confess, I'm not sure what the Highlight Correction and Shadow Correction feature actually does on my K-50 & K-30. I've read the user's manual (pg. 148), but either it's somewhat vague.... or more than likely, I'm just very dense.

If I'm correct in my understanding, it allows the camera to make automatic adjustments which will allow the camera to pick up details in deep shadows and extreme highlights. Am I correct?

If not, can anyone please explain this function in terms that a retired carpenter can understand without using a lot of acronyms?

What does the "Contrast AF Select" feature do on the K-50 / K-30? I've read the user's manual (pg. 104) concerning this feature, and if I'm understanding it correctly, it only pertains when using live view. Although I seldom use live view, where would you suggest I have it set at?

Highlight correction attempts to stop the camera from blowing out any highlights and clipping that data. Likewise, the shadow correction attempts to keep your shadows from being pure black and retain some detail in them.
02-26-2016, 10:02 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You are correct in that this option is only relevant for live view. From my own experience with the K-30, if I know I am going to be shooting people primarily, I put it in Face Detect mode, which works pretty well as long as said faces are not at too much of an angle. Otherwise I put it in Select.
However, I primarily shoot static subjects. If you're using Live View for something that you expect to move around a lot, you might do better with Tracking. I've never tried that mode so I have no feedback as to how well it works.
02-26-2016, 12:04 PM   #4
Pentaxian

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/173-general-photography/294117-comparing-...-af-stuff.html

02-26-2016, 01:31 PM   #5
Administrator
Site Webmaster

Photos: Gallery | Albums

On a more technical level:

Shadow correction simply lifts the shadows by increasing the brightness of dark areas, similar to what you would do in Photoshop/Lightroom when developing raws.

Highlight correction underexposes the whole image by a stop in an effort to ensure nothing bright is blown it. It then increases the brightness of darker areas to make up for the underexposure.

The end result is an image that is more likely not to have any clipped details, but the contrast will also be lower, so it might not always look as appealing. Just be wary of this

Adam
PentaxForums.com Webmaster (Site Usage Guide | Site Help | My Photography)

PentaxForums.com server and development costs are user-supported. You can help cover these costs by donating or purchasing one of our Pentax eBooks. Or, buy your photo gear from our affiliates, Adorama, B&H Photo, KEH, or Topaz Labs, and get FREE Marketplace access - click here to see how! Trusted Pentax retailers:
02-26-2016, 11:13 PM   #6

Hope you don't mind if I piggyback. Does this mean that, when shooting raw, it's definitely better to shoot with as much detail as possible and then adjust the levels later?
02-29-2016, 01:31 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by nabwong Quote
Hope you don't mind if I piggyback. Does this mean that, when shooting raw, it's definitely better to shoot with as much detail as possible and then adjust the levels later?
I find when shooting raw I underexpose 1/3 stop and fix things in Lightroom that works great for me

02-29-2016, 04:52 PM   #8

QuoteOriginally posted by hnikesch Quote
I find when shooting raw I underexpose 1/3 stop and fix things in Lightroom that works great for me
Thanks for the advice!
02-29-2016, 05:14 PM   #9
Des
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
Highlight correction affects RAW images as well as jpgs (it prevents you from using ISO 100 and underexposes the image to reduce blown highlights), shadow correction only affects jpgs. https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/151-pentax-k-30-k-50/265011-highlight-sha...ion-usage.html