Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-03-2016, 08:52 AM   #1

K50 raw button

on my k50 the button that should give you the option of saving a raw image from the last jpeg is on the exposure compensation button for some reason! I have reset the camera but still it happens, any advice appreciated, thanks

03-03-2016, 11:23 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Welcome to the Pentax Forums!

Hmmmmmm...when you push the button for EC you get RAW-->JPEG. That is very creative of the camera, but not something expected or useful. The first question asked is usually, "Has the camera been exposed to the wet or been dropped?" The second question would be, "What happens when you push the RAW/Fx button?"

Now that both questions have been asked, the expected followup will be, "Is your camera still under warranty?" This sort of strangeness generally indicates a need for service. If there is a chance that moisture has intruded, you can attempt to draw out the moisture by putting the camera in a closed container with rice or silica gel. Good luck!

Steve
03-03-2016, 11:43 AM   #3

kwackersnapper, I do not understand what is the problem. I have a K-50 too, and according to the manual, the EC button "Saves the RAW image (only when the data is available)." during Instant Review (p.68 and 74). So, you are describing a feature, not a bug :-)
03-03-2016, 01:42 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thanks guys. You must have a different manual erobles p.68 is regarding flash! Will do some more research tomorrow the camera is new and i understood rightly or wrongly the RAW/FX saved the jpeg as a extra raw file

03-03-2016, 02:13 PM   #5

kwackersnapper, may be, I open the PDF with Preview in my Mac, I read the page number from that. My bad. But, using the page number from the manual, go to page 66, and then go to page 72.

RAW/FX by default only allows to change the output format fort your next pics (RAW to Jpeg or viceversa), or may be customised to other functions (under Menu Option 4, Button Customisation), but none of those functions includes saving the RAW.

Hope it helps!

Last edited by erobles; 03-03-2016 at 02:20 PM.
03-04-2016, 12:07 AM   #6

Original Poster
Yes think i understand now thanks. I also have a panasonic g7 thats like a computer to work. Thought the pentax would be like the nikons in used to!!! Thanks again that was very helpful
03-04-2016, 12:48 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by erobles Quote
kwackersnapper, may be, I open the PDF with Preview in my Mac, I read the page number from that. My bad. But, using the page number from the manual, go to page 66, and then go to page 72.

RAW/FX by default only allows to change the output format fort your next pics (RAW to Jpeg or viceversa), or may be customised to other functions (under Menu Option 4, Button Customisation), but none of those functions includes saving the RAW.

Hope it helps!
Dang! Was I in the dark or what? The save last JPG as RAW feature is one that I have never used and had forgotten about. I totally misunderstood kwackersnapper's question.

Thanks for setting us both on the right path.

Steve
03-16-2016, 06:08 AM   #8

Yes the Raw button can be pressed to save the next shot as Raw, when usual setting is Jpeg. The camera can be set to shoot both Jpeg and Raw which is worth trying. If you don't want the Raw files you can delete them later. I find Jpeg are good most of the time and press the button when lighting conditions are tricky and the Raw file will allow me to pull more detail etc with the processing.

03-17-2016, 06:23 PM   #9

QuoteOriginally posted by kwackersnapper Quote
on my k50 the button that should give you the option of saving a raw image from the last jpeg is on the exposure compensation button for some reason! I have reset the camera but still it happens, any advice appreciated, thanks
Update/re-update firmware, may help.
03-18-2016, 08:24 AM   #10

My camera seems to offer the Raw option sometimes if it think a Jpeg has tricky lighting conditions. The +/- button near the shutter release convert to Raw - but I'm not sure why and when the Raw option is offered. I've taken similar pics and had one give the Raw option but the other didn't.
03-19-2016, 12:28 AM   #11

Original Poster
Thought every picture did
03-19-2016, 11:42 AM   #12

Thanks guys. You must have a different manual erobles p.68 is regarding flash! Will do some more research tomorrow the camera is new and i understood rightly or wrongly the RAW/FX saved the jpeg as a extra raw file
In the printed U.S. manual pages 167 and 168 describe "Setting the RAW/Fx button operation"
03-20-2016, 08:42 AM   #13

Thought every picture did
It may do - it says in the manual that it is offered so long as the info is still in the buffer. So maybe when you turn the camera off it clears the buffer?
03-20-2016, 11:32 PM   #14

Original Poster
Couldnt get it to work yesterday. Will try again later