Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-14-2018, 05:12 PM   #151
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
OK then.

The bickering that happened here over recent hours landed on my lap this morning when I was having morning coffee. I didn't have time to dig in too deeply then, as Mrs. Racer had me doing chores all day, but I see my colleagues stepped in and did some work. One has even suggested a solution.

I like that solution and will support it fully.

Also, I have taken some time and cleaned up some posts. I did my best to leave the facts and experiences as they pertain to this discussion intact. The inane babble that transpired did nothing to support the discussion, and surely led to hard feelings all around, and it is gone.

All parties involved should be ashamed of their behavior. It is the kind of stuff one expects of children on the playground, not grown men. The jabs and insults were disrespectful, to the person directed at, to the other members of this forum, those who come here and lurk, the owners of the forum, and even to the individuals dishing them out.

This is a class joint, and everyone is expected to act respectably, like the adults we all are, and treat each other with dignity and respect.

No matter how much we may disagree or misunderstand each other.

Everybody have a nice day.

Now I gotta go, a race is about to start on the TV.

Don't make me stop the cars!

Hey I'm Australian, we are not known for our good manners no really I'm joking. but when some one tries to cut the legs out form underneath you at every opportunity and pick apart just about every thing you say and makes attacks on your integrity I'm always going to push back, if that gets me banned or suspended then so be it. I was only ever trying to help out here.

07-14-2018, 05:17 PM - 1 Like   #152
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

Location: The Great Pacific Northwet, in the Land Between Canada and Mexico
QuoteOriginally posted by Cee Cee Quote
Hey I'm Australian, we are not known for our good manners no really I'm joking. but when some one tries to cut the legs out form underneath you at every opportunity and pick apart just about every thing you say and makes attacks on your integrity I'm always going to push back, if that gets me banned or suspended then so be it. I was only ever trying to help out here.
Not another word unrelated to the discussion.

From anyone.
07-14-2018, 05:20 PM   #153
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I'm reluctant to include his first sentence. I'm convinced that multiple problems sometimes get lumped in together under this one, and honestly. I don't know whether his first sentence is a case of that or not, The one thing we know is that the photo looks dark but not black.
I think that we can take all suggestions for content, and then digest it a bit. There is really lots of good information here.

Whatever we come up with, it should be a comprehensive and informative compendium of information, for every owner of the affected cameras, or others who may have an interest in it.
07-14-2018, 05:35 PM   #154
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Racer X 69 Quote
I think that we can take all suggestions for content, and then digest it a bit. There is really lots of good information here.

Whatever we come up with, it should be a comprehensive and informative compendium of information, for every owner of the affected cameras, or others who may have an interest in it.
That's fine with me ....but when nobody else speaks up, I'm willing to be first.

07-14-2018, 06:09 PM   #155
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by reh321 Quote
I don't think the "sticky" thread should say anything about causes or solutions. That is just asking for trouble.
sorry I'm missing the point, if the sticky isn't about causes or solutions what is it about. Generally you can't get to a proper solution without understanding the root cause.
07-14-2018, 06:31 PM   #156
Man With A Camera
Loyal Site Supporter

sorry I'm missing the point, if the sticky isn't about causes or solutions what is it about. Generally you can't get to a proper solution without understanding the root cause.
Let's put together ideas and suggestions for content first.

We can sort it all out afterward.

What from this discussion do you think would make a great contribution to the cause?
07-14-2018, 06:51 PM   #157
Pentaxian

The original purpose of this thread was to allow a user to determine whether his/her camera has this issue.

There are some medical conditions which are identified by collection of symptoms - each condition is called a "syndrome"

You can talk about approaches to "DIS" {"Dark Image Syndrome"} without being certain about its root cause

Last edited by reh321; 07-15-2018 at 08:57 AM.
07-15-2018, 04:06 AM - 1 Like   #158
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

New thread created, copied first post only. Happy to add more, providing we have consensus.
I've renamed this thread as "Discussion thread".
07-15-2018, 09:38 PM - 1 Like   #159
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I suggest close to the top of the thread there should be a simple statement about the symptoms after all most of us would have started this journey by noticing that the first frame or frames shot after turning on the camera were dark. Then advising that if you have experienced this then your camera almost certainly has developed this condition so read on.....

the original post by Auzzie-Phoenix is very comprehensive and well written, but may be a little daunting for some that are fairly new to photography and the meaning of some of the terms & jargon.
07-16-2018, 02:35 AM - 1 Like   #160
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Can I suggest close to the top of the thread there should be a simple statement about the symptoms after all most of us would have started this journey by noticing that the first frame or frames shot after turning on the camera were dark. Then advising that if you have experienced this then your camera almost certainly has developed this condition so read on.....

the original post by Auzzie-Phoenix is very comprehensive and well written, but may be a little daunting for some that are fairly new to photography and the meaning of some of the terms & jargon.
Feel free to write up a suggested post and post it here. If the main contributors agree, we'll add that to the sticky.
07-21-2018, 08:01 AM   #161

All I can say is thanks for the tips on this post. Went to buy a K50 today that looked in mint condition. Took a spare lens with me just in case and tried out the camera. Lo and behold dark pictures under A and clear under ring selection so looked like the aperture block issue. Saved me some heartache from buying a faulty camera.

Disappointing really as want to keep with Pentax but is rather off putting.

Btw that camera apparently had 3,750 actuations.

07-21-2018, 08:11 AM - 1 Like   #162
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by hudster1969 Quote
All I can say is thanks for the tips on this post. Went to buy a K50 today that looked in mint condition. Took a spare lens with me just in case and tried out the camera. Lo and behold dark pictures under A and clear under ring selection so looked like the aperture block issue. Saved me some heartache from buying a faulty camera.

The K-30 and K-50 were most affected by this issue. There have been a couple of reports, I believe, of it happening on the K-S2 also, but those seem to be extremely rare. None of the earlier or later Pentax models has suffered the problem. It's also worth bearing in mind that every manufacturer has had problems of one type or another with specific models. My point being, don't let this issue put you off Pentax in general
07-21-2018, 08:19 AM   #163

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
The K-30 and K-50 were most affected by this issue. There have been a couple of reports, I believe, of it happening on the K-S2 also, but those seem to be extremely rare. None of the earlier or later Pentax models has suffered the problem. It's also worth bearing in mind that every manufacturer has had problems of one type or another with specific models. My point being, don't let this issue put you off Pentax in general
It's not so much Pentax in general as I love my *istDL2 and use it regularly. It's just disappointing that the first one I see had the issue so it's now down to picking the right upgrade path as I'd rather not have to rebuild the lens collection

Back to the drawing board methinks.

07-21-2018, 08:25 AM   #164
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by hudster1969 Quote

So someone was trying to sell a camera they knew to be faulty as a fully working camera.
You could have taken it off their hands for a really low price and changed the solenoid

07-21-2018, 08:39 AM   #165

QuoteOriginally posted by slartibartfast01 Quote
So someone was trying to sell a camera they knew to be faulty as a fully working camera.
You could have taken it off their hands for a really low price and changed the solenoid
True. If I cba fixing it that is