Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-21-2019, 03:23 AM   #256
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

There is no need to check polarity on the solenoids from this vendor on ebay!
He only sells solenoids made in Japan from digital bodies, all those have the correct polarity.

Me myself and others in Germany came across solenoids with reverse polarity from pre-digital bodies.

Otherwise, I have explained all about what to check carefully HERE

02-21-2019, 04:46 AM   #257

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by photogem Quote
There is no need to check polarity on the solenoids from this vendor on ebay!
He only sells solenoids made in Japan from digital bodies, all those have the correct polarity.

Me myself and others in Germany came across solenoids with reverse polarity from pre-digital bodies.

Otherwise, I have explained all about what to check carefully HERE
My apologies, I've posted the same question in two threads. I'll stick to the other one since it's already been addressed by both you and others.
02-21-2019, 06:29 AM - 1 Like   #258
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Anyway, good luck.
Dare to do it and don't worry about polarisation.
The vendor of those white solenoids sells the right ones and checks them.
I purchased some of him when no defunct DLSR bodies available
02-27-2019, 04:02 PM - 1 Like   #259

I had this issue and tried everything (K30). It was pissing me off as I've barely used it and when I got around to using it I had the issue. I work around the corner from CR Kennedy in Port Melbourne so I took it there and was waiting to see the cost of the repair and if it was too much then it was time for a new Camera. The guy that served me took the Camera had a look and said looks like the solenoid, he said don't worry this will be fixed at no charge if it is. Got the call yesterday and confirmed and no charge. Pick it up tomorrow.

02-28-2019, 05:01 AM   #260
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Are you saying that right now, after about 5 years of using your K30, you get this kind of service?
Amazing! And lucky you!

Anyway, this is how dealers will win customers to come back. It would be the same for distributors.
Good customer service is worth a lot.
02-28-2019, 11:15 AM - 1 Like   #261

^^That's exactly what I am saying. I was surprised as well and yes my new purchase shortly will be a Pentax.
03-04-2019, 12:11 PM   #262
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
K-30 with the aperture issue at 5500 shutter clicks

I haven’t used my Pentax SLRs in nearly three years. Job, health problems and using smaller cameras had my K-30 and K-r in the bag. Anyhow, I decided to get back into more involved photography and got out the K-30. Charged the batteries, re-set all the pertinent functions and tried to takes some test photos. Ugh, all terribly underexposed. I did an internet search and found the “K-30 aperture block issue”. I tried a few of the cycle the camera fixes, none worked with the lithium battery pack, so I ordered a couple AA battery holders.

Using AA Alkaline batteries, the K-30 aperture control returned to normal. I used the camera for about 80 exposures over a week. Today, it went dark again. Removing and replacing the battery re-set the solenoid and now its working again.
Not sure how long it will remain functional this way. Sucks since, as of today, the shutter only has 5,500 clicks on it.

I contacted Ricoh and they advised sending it to Prescision Camera Repair for “ Consideration of out of warranty repair coverage based on evaluation.” A check for $19.95 return shipping is required. Not sure wether I should give it a shot or not. $20 to ship both ways would be a cheap repair, but it’s sure not worth $200 plus if they don’t cover it.

I noticed an eBay vendor selling used K10-20, Kx, Kr, solenoid blocks to replace the defective Chinese originals. Is there a repair shop or vendor who installs these?

03-04-2019, 01:53 PM   #263
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I noticed an eBay vendor selling used K10-20, Kx, Kr, solenoid blocks to replace the defective Chinese originals. Is there a repair shop or vendor who installs these?
That's the right step into the right direction.

DIY is not that difficult. Only if your are very clumsy and have very bad eyesight. The latter can be dealt with, the first only you can answer.
03-05-2019, 07:50 PM   #264
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Culprit Quote
I had this issue and tried everything (K30). It was pissing me off as I've barely used it and when I got around to using it I had the issue. I work around the corner from CR Kennedy in Port Melbourne so I took it there and was waiting to see the cost of the repair and if it was too much then it was time for a new Camera. The guy that served me took the Camera had a look and said looks like the solenoid, he said don't worry this will be fixed at no charge if it is. Got the call yesterday and confirmed and no charge. Pick it up tomorrow.
The beginning of your story is very common. Often the aperture control issue starts after a camera has been unused for an extended period of time. {see @steamloco76 below}
03-05-2019, 07:53 PM   #265
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by steamloco76 Quote
I haven’t used my Pentax SLRs in nearly three years. Job, health problems and using smaller cameras had my K-30 and K-r in the bag. Anyhow, I decided to get back into more involved photography and got out the K-30. Charged the batteries, re-set all the pertinent functions and tried to takes some test photos. Ugh, all terribly underexposed. I did an internet search and found the “K-30 aperture block issue”. I tried a few of the cycle the camera fixes, none worked with the lithium battery pack, so I ordered a couple AA battery holders.

Using AA Alkaline batteries, the K-30 aperture control returned to normal. I used the camera for about 80 exposures over a week. Today, it went dark again. Removing and replacing the battery re-set the solenoid and now its working again.
Not sure how long it will remain functional this way. Sucks since, as of today, the shutter only has 5,500 clicks on it.
The beginning of your story is very common. Often the aperture control issue starts after a camera has been unused for an extended period of time. {see @culprit above}
03-11-2019, 11:38 AM   #266
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Eneloops instead of block-battery

Bought my K-30 on the famous platform, after a while the typical aperture problems appeared...first frustration....

...found the instructions of changing the green selenoid to the white one... opened up the camera.... damn...second frustration...it already had the white one...

...I gave up hope, it seemed that I had to accept that I've been cheated...

....then...thanks to a post on a german pentax-site... I found the advice to take eneloops within the battery holder instead of the block-battery -because there are some further electronic issues expected, not only the selenoid-

....and...drum-roll...no problems with the aperture since then...

A second battery holder and enough loaded eneloops (the block-battery only for sensor cleaning or firmware)

Should the solving of the problem really be that easy? ...what a waste of time until then...

Give it a try and tell me!

Regards and have sunny times!
03-11-2019, 12:10 PM   #267
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by useK30witheneloops Quote
Bought my K-30 on the famous platform, after a while the typical aperture problems appeared...first frustration....

...found the instructions of changing the green selenoid to the white one... opened up the camera.... damn...second frustration...it already had the white one...

....then...thanks to a post on a german pentax-site... I found the advice to take eneloops within the battery holder instead of the block-battery -because there are some further electronic issues expected, not only the selenoid-

....and...drum-roll...no problems with the aperture since then...

A second battery holder and enough loaded eneloops (the block-battery only for sensor cleaning or firmware)

Should the solving of the problem really be that easy? ...what a waste of time until then...

Give it a try and tell me!

Regards and have sunny times!
Thanks for posting this Would you be able to provide a link to the discussion the german Pentax site, please?
03-11-2019, 02:46 PM   #268
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by BigMackCam Quote
Thanks for posting this Would you be able to provide a link to the discussion the german Pentax site, please?
[Blendensteuerung K 30 Defekte ? Pentaxians

Blendensteuerung K 30 Defekte ? Pentaxians
03-11-2019, 02:50 PM   #269
Digitiser of Film
Loyal Site Supporter

Thank you!

Can I ask, since trying the suggested Eneloop solution, how many shots have you taken without the issue re-appearing, and over what space of time? I'm asking because, whilst this clearly isn't a fix per se, it's an optional approach for those experiencing the problem that might extend the life of there cameras. But it would be good to know if this has been a long-term solution, or if that's as yet uncertain...

I guess my concern is, a bunch of K-30 owners might rush out to buy Eneloop batteries. If the solution works longer-term, that's great, but if it only gives a limited number of shots before the problem reappears, then...

EDIT: A brief read of that thread on the German site reveals the following (translated via Google):

"This is a well known fact that with the Eneloops the mistake "CAN" go away (he does not always). Whether voltage difference or more current, no idea, one would have to measure consuming directly connected to the solenoid with an ammeter connected in series plus another measurement which voltage is applied. But it can also be due to the characteristics of the batteries."

So it seems that the Eneloop solution may work for some, but not all... Worth bearing in mind, for any folks considering purchasing some Eneloops and a charger

The thread also confirms that the work done so far on the solenoid replacement solution hasn't been a waste of time,and remains the root cause of the problem (so far as anyone can tell)...

Last edited by BigMackCam; 03-11-2019 at 03:33 PM.
03-11-2019, 03:54 PM - 1 Like   #270
Pentaxian

White Solenoid??

QuoteOriginally posted by useK30witheneloops Quote

With all the experience reported here, including much work by @photogem; I don't recall anyone have a "white" one fail; I hate to ask you this, but are you certain this one was truly white - the so-called "green" ones are pale lime in color?