Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-20-2016, 09:46 AM   #16
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
It seems my K500, with approximately 2900 shots on it, has the same defect
Back to my trusty K-100D

Last edited by NS_Sailor; 04-20-2016 at 10:02 AM.
04-21-2016, 06:59 PM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by photolady95 Quote
Will try to remember that. But mine wasn't really giving dark exposures. It just quit working. No view screen, nothing, just dark. I tried new batteries, removing battery to resetting the camera it just wouldn't do anything no matter what I tried.

Hmm... that sounds suspiciously like a dead mainboard. Either that or a faulty solder job for the battery connectors.
04-21-2016, 07:23 PM   #18
Otis Memorial Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Auzzie-Phoenix Quote
that sounds suspiciously like a dead mainboard.
I thought of that after I was thinking what was actually happening.
04-24-2016, 04:44 AM   #19
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Got Lucky with my K-500 even though the Manufacturers Warranty had just run out. I bought an extended warranty through the camera shop (Henry's) where I bought the camera and the extended warranty will cover the cost of repair or replacement. I don't usually buy extended warranties but I'm glad I did this time

04-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #20

I was thinking about picking up a K-50 to supplement my aging K-7. I'm wondering what percentage of the K-50 ends up with the aperture block failure?
Decisions, decisions! I wonder if this is a case of not if, but when the aperture block fails or if it's just a certain batch that have the problem? I'd be pretty upset with Pentax if every single K-50 (and K-30 from what I understand) has this faulty aperture block.
I do have a few K mount lenses with aperture rings, but still...that would really stink if the failure happened right after the warranty expired!
04-27-2016, 07:16 PM - 1 Like   #21
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by amg2000 Quote
I was thinking about picking up a K-50 to supplement my aging K-7. I'm wondering what percentage of the K-50 ends up with the aperture block failure?
Decisions, decisions! I wonder if this is a case of not if, but when the aperture block fails or if it's just a certain batch that have the problem? I'd be pretty upset with Pentax if every single K-50 (and K-30 from what I understand) has this faulty aperture block.
I do have a few K mount lenses with aperture rings, but still...that would really stink if the failure happened right after the warranty expired!

I would assume that it is more of a WHEN issue. The question is if it will outlast the shutter. Some people have had their k-30 and k-50 models for quite some time without issues, others get them right away, and then still others get it after warranty expires (like mine). The chances of it happening right away are the same of it never happening before the shutter or sensor die. Roll the dice. Personally if it happens out of warranty I feel it's not worth the cost to repair vs. replace. I'd buy another K-50 for certain, it's a great camera. I did want the ability to use my non-manual lenses though, and took the initiative to upgrade to the K-3II after my failure. Given that I do a lot of astro shots, it made sense to get a model with astrotracer built in, and larger batteries. K-50 is sub-$300 for the body, at that pricing, if you get 2 years out of it problem free, you got your money's worth. I can think of tons of stuff that would cost that much but has a shorter lifespan of usefulness.

I made this thread so that people could possibly diagnose one issue that may pop up with these 2 camera models, rather than making a ton of new threads about it, so they'd have some sort of a resource. I certainly don't intend for people to jump to the conclusion that all k-30 and k-50 models are flawed and not good cameras. Don't avoid them, just know that the issue can and will more than likely show up at some point in the camera's lifetime. If it happens early, that's why you have a warranty. I still use my k-50, and it will more than likely be my camera of choice for out on the kayak this year (lighter, less expensive than my k-3II, great images). Makes sense to use that one in the kayak if it weighs less, after all I have to lug all that stuff around.
04-28-2016, 06:46 AM   #22

Thanks for your reply, Auzzie-Phoenix. I get exactly what you are saying. And at $294 it wouldn't take much to get my money's worth. The output that I've seen seems to beat my K-7 so I'm wondering if the K-7 might end up being my backup instead of the other way around ;-)

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, it just seemed like there was a lot of good info here and it might be a good place to ask (rather than start a new thread). I am still leaning towards dropping the cash to pick up a K-50 (right now I'm looking at which after market batteries are best...Wasabi or Pearstone. I know the K-30 and K-50 batteries are much smaller than the K-7's).

04-28-2016, 07:18 AM   #23
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

My aperture block failure resulted in overexposed pictures. It stopped stopping down.

K50, in warranty, 6-8 months after purchased new. Fixed by Precision.
05-01-2016, 07:07 PM - 1 Like   #24
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for your reply, Auzzie-Phoenix. I get exactly what you are saying. And at $294 it wouldn't take much to get my money's worth. The output that I've seen seems to beat my K-7 so I'm wondering if the K-7 might end up being my backup instead of the other way around ;-)

Didn't mean to hijack your thread, it just seemed like there was a lot of good info here and it might be a good place to ask (rather than start a new thread). I am still leaning towards dropping the cash to pick up a K-50 (right now I'm looking at which after market batteries are best...Wasabi or Pearstone. I know the K-30 and K-50 batteries are much smaller than the K-7's).

Most aftermarket batt's seem to be fairly equivalent. Spring for the Pentax battery if you can afford it, they last a good bit longer than the aftermarket ones on a charge. Not so much of an issue during the day if you're manual focusing, but live view, video mode, long exposures, and autofocus will really eat at the battery. Plus the batteries aren't as hardy in cold weather as the ones for the k-7/k-5/k-3/k-3II are, but have the upside of charging that much faster. 2 hr charge time for the k-50/k-30 batt's vs 4 hrs or so for k-5/k-3 batt.
05-17-2016, 11:13 AM   #25

This is really disappointing.

My K10D is 10 years old, no problems.

Seems they really don't make them like they used to.

Pentax are going to get a reputation for unreliability which certainly won't help them narrow the gap with Canon/Nikon.
05-17-2016, 11:48 AM   #26
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Tangent88 Quote
This is really disappointing.

My K10D is 10 years old, no problems.

Seems they really don't make them like they used to.

Pentax are going to get a reputation for unreliability which certainly won't help them narrow the gap with Canon/Nikon.
To put this into context - the K-50 is a modest upgrade of the K-30, so we're talking about one camera out of many.
This issue apparently cripples the camera, but doesn't stop it
{I now carry several M42 mount lenses in the bag with my K-30}
This is all anecdotal evidence - we don't have any statistics along the lines of mean pictures to failure.
05-22-2016, 05:32 AM   #27
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

I sold my K50 to a friend and bought a used K5 which to me is a way better camera.
Now I find out I sold a good friend a ticking time bomb. Its his first DSLR and this news is making me feel bad. Yea you may get your value over a few years but it will put a dent into his liking of Pentax.
05-22-2016, 11:55 PM   #28

QuoteOriginally posted by zippythezip Quote
I sold my K50 to a friend and bought a used K5 which to me is a way better camera.
Now I find out I sold a good friend a ticking time bomb. Its his first DSLR and this news is making me feel bad. Yea you may get your value over a few years but it will put a dent into his liking of Pentax.
I definitely hope the camera you sold never has problems, but you're right that it is a higher than normal occurrence. There's two things I want to say to console you. 1) Look at reviews on this camera and you'll see they're very high (4.5/5 stars). If the problem was dramatically worse, the reviews would show it as angry people are much more vocal than happy customers. So you're probably at a 90% chance nothing will go wrong. 2) You're only as good of a friend as your actions. Warn him of the potential issue and offer to take the camera back. Or tell him if the camera breaks, you'll give him his money back or help him get it repaired/replaced. Basically, do what you would want someone to do to you.
05-23-2016, 06:45 AM   #29
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ohmic314 Quote
I definitely hope the camera you sold never has problems, but you're right that it is a higher than normal occurrence. There's two things I want to say to console you. 1) Look at reviews on this camera and you'll see they're very high (4.5/5 stars). If the problem was dramatically worse, the reviews would show it as angry people are much more vocal than happy customers. So you're probably at a 90% chance nothing will go wrong. 2) You're only as good of a friend as your actions. Warn him of the potential issue and offer to take the camera back. Or tell him if the camera breaks, you'll give him his money back or help him get it repaired/replaced. Basically, do what you would want someone to do to you.
Thanks for some good advice there, I will tell him and offer to buy back or help replace later. I imagine all camera makers have problem cameras.
05-23-2016, 09:15 AM   #30
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

For what it is worth my K-50 had the problem at six months - the aperture block was replaced and it never acted up again (i traded it so no idea how it is doing now ). My dad bought one and owned it a year before selling and it never have him problems.